Leopard 2A4 vs A5 in mode "Beobachten"

maddin

Hello

I'm using a mouse and the keyboard for controlling the tanks. I have seen a different in mode "Beobachten" between the Leopard 2A4 and A5. While in the A5 I can still using the mouse in the gunner position to aim as well as in the mode "Stab Ein" this is not the case in the A4. The turret doesn't react until i move the mouse to the outer area of the screen and the the turret suddenly turns moves in a relativ fast speed. There's actually no low speed at all which makes it very difficult to aim at targets. It is similiar for the canon. I can use the arrow keys for fine aiming.

Is this an implementation of a realistic case, because the A4 has an hydraulic while the A5 an electric system to move the turret, or something missed in the software?

By the way: In the emergency mode of the A5 the turret is still moved by the mouse and the arrow keys don't work at all, despite what is written in the tutorial.

Best regards

Martin

• Members
Is this an implementation of a realistic case, because the A4 has an hydraulic while the A5 an electric system to move the turret

Yes!

In the Leo 2A4 "Stab ein" mode, the gunner's control handles create an electric signal which moved the head mirror in the "dog house" which in turn is referenced by the stabilization system to let the turret movement follow. In "Beobachten" mode the sight is slaved to the gun; consequently, the gun must be moved directly. Now the gunner must operate the hydraulic valves directly through Bowden cables (which are also attached to the handles). Working against the hydraulic pressure requires a lot of force, and when you have applied enough of it, it will start with a relatively high turn speed which makes fine control impossible. For joystick users, we replicated this with a relatively large deadzone so you have to work more against the centering spring; for mouse users, we cannot apply a movement resistance of course. Therefore, the technique to use in the Leo 2A4 is to use powered traverse only for major movement and then use the hand cranks for fine control (which, BTW, have a built-in electric trigger).

In the 2A5 on the other hand the electric turret drive is still active with more or less the same quality, except that there is no longer a stabilization. Therefore you can still use mouse and stick as usual.

By the way: In the emergency mode of the A5 the turret is still moved by the mouse and the arrow keys don't work at all, despite what is written in the tutorial.

Thanks; that was probably a copy & paste error/oversight on our end. As the 2A5 doesn't even have any hand cranks, just a secondary electric circuit to operate the gun and turret, there can't be an arrow-key mashing experience.