Adjusting artillery

OldnSlow

up down is for illumination rounds which isnt modeled in SB. OT line is line from observer to target. If I remember correctly, to figure the ot factor, you have to know the distance from observer to target. so lets say you are 1500 meters from the target, your ot factor would be 2 i think, if i remember correctly. looking in the binos, each tick mark is 10 mils left or right of center. if u have an ot factor of 2, the round lands on the 3rd tick mark to the left, you would make a correction of right 60 (3 x 2) to move the round right to get in line with the target.

• 2 weeks later...

Line OT is, as mentioned in the various posts above, is the bearing in mils from Observer to Tgt. Is ordered however as Direction. Direction may also be ordered as GT, gun to Tgt, useful for TacHel Obs. UAV observation has a standard Direction of 6400.

OT Factor is the distance in 100's of meters from Obs to Tgt. ie Obs is 2300m from Tgt, the OT Factor is 2.3. Use this factor multiplied by mils read in binos to create L+R corrections ONLY.

Add and drop corrections should follow the following sequence. If short, Add 400, if short again, you can't read a map, add another 400. It may seem wasteful but one must Obs rounds on both the near and far side of the Tgt to commence proper bracketing procedure. Then continue the add/drop procedure using the following and only the following numbers-200, 100, 50. Use any others, we will point and laugh. Terminal ballistic templates for light and medium close Support guns is a 50m radius, so along with the add/drop 50 correction, one should also couple an order for Fire for Effect(You don't need to be any closer). Follow these procedures, and you will ALWAYS hit the tgt. "Breaking your bracket" is the most common error committed by the amateur, and results in more time and resources being expended, so stick with 400,200,100,50. Even if you think you can hit with a drop 300, don't. Complete the procedure and Mathematically, you'll always be within 50m

Up/Down is an order to alter HOB(height of burst) in meters, of Illumination and HE airburst munitions.

• Members

This, of course, assumes that no guided rounds are in play and that you are shooting at an area target, not a small point target. Which is a perfectly reasonable assumption for the moment in SB Pro and also for traditional artillery tasks. But I think one can observe a shift in artillery doctrine towards even higher precision especially in low intensity conflicts, especially for Danger close fire missions.

Yes of course, the explanation above was based on Obs having only a map, protractor, compass and binos.

Point Tgts are a type of engagement known as Destruction. The PER(prob error to Range) is calc'd and sent to the OBs as a number in meters. PER's are different based on range to tgt, propellant charge and some other details. If the PER is example 15m, it's useless to give corrections less than that. Precision Guided Munitions overcome that for approx. $250K/shot compared to 400-800/shot for convention rounds. Sometimes, collateral damage is more affordable.

And thank you as well for allowing me to start the rumour that PGM's like excalibur will be in the next release. lol

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a good idea of how mils work IRL, you can use this method to estimate distances to objects:

Mil_estimation.jpg

Just divide the size of the object by the number of mils and multiply the answer by 1000.

For example: If you know the average length of a midsize sedan is 4.12 meters and when you stretch out your arm you can just cover it with the width of 3 fingers, then you know the car is about 41 meters away.

(4.12/100=0.0412*1000=41.2)

Me he tomado la libertad de hacer el archivo que puso Volcano con el software adobe illustrator, de manera que he corregido varias malas coincidencias de los coordinatografos, de manera que, ahora, a los diferentes zooms que se indican.

El archivo esta realizado con unas dimensiones de 120 x 120 mm.

He agregado un archivo con la version PDF de la imagen

I have taken the freedom of doing the file that Volcano put with the adobe illustrator software, so that I have corrected several bad coincidences of the Scales, so that, now, to the different zooms that are indicated.

The file are made with a dimensions of 120 x 120 mm.

I attach a file with the PDF version of this image.

Sorry for my bad english.

transportadormilesimal.jpg

56e83cba43252_TRANSPORTADORMILESIMAL_rar

TRANSPORTADOR MILESIMAL.rar

Edited by [EDM]Lipe
Correct Bugs