Fire Orders - "Brass up"

Hedgehog

I really don't think it is apropriate....

they don't use brass any longer it's mainly bag charges... so would it be more apropriate to say Handbags at dawn?

:debile2:

brass might be refering to the alloy the makes the mantle of most (small arms) rounds...

"Brass up" is a squaddie colloquialism that I've heard/used for 20 odd years and remains a solid favourite.

Probably stems from the amount of empty cases (referred to as 'brass') that you will be surrounded by after a firefight.

I too use the word Brass allot.but in a different context.I haven't got any Brass. I'm not made off it. get a Job When i was your age i earned my own Brass.And i have never served in any army.LoL.

And... (adopting that generic rural accent that all soft southerners use when attempting to mimic anything from Devon to The Borders) - Aye, lad. Where's there's muck, there's brass. (Short 'a' as in cat, btw).

• 2 weeks later...

"To brass up"; to discover the cyclic rate of a machinegun, put nicely.

Related:

"To give ['im some f*cking] pedal"; to fire the coaxial of the FV510 at some muppet with an RPG-7 trying to kill you and your mates. Apparently the Warrior has a pedal for the coax, thus the phrase.

"Brass" a term of endearment for a lady of negotiable virtue

Never heard that one before. Ah slang, you funny thing. From Empire: Total War's description of character entourages, related to ladies of negotiable virtue:

"Some ladies are not very ladylike which is why this lady leads a very comfortable life."

I was most definitely taught to "Brass up" a target in 1983, along with "malleting" and at the time the Parachute Regiment specific "Banjoing" a position. Full metal Jacket (the film) popularity among the ranks brought "Get some" as a popular shout too :)