• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

How does the frame rate go once you add a few burning buildings, etc.?

Also I know its a pain to check but are you confident that buildings, power poles, etc. don't overlap onto roads or create other impromtu obstacles?

Edited by Gibsonm

5 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

How does the frame rate go once you add a few burning buildings, etc.?

Also I know its a pain to check but are you confident that buildings, power poles, etc. don't overlap onto roads or create other impromtu obstacles?

Framerate seems to be fine (4x) even with lots of units moving around, multiple engagments over the map. Roads are fine, I'm building the city by "blocks" power poles, buildings etc are clear of the roads.

Keep it up, looking great.

Probably doesn't help you in terms of scale of the task, but for smaller towns, I've found that selecting a building type and then clicking several times somewher outside the final location creates a "pool" of buildings that you can then click and drag as required to populate a given block.

I do a quick review of the map to work out the commercial, government, affluent suburbs, poor suburbs, industrial, etc. regions.

I then create the stockpile of say affluent suburb buildings (three or four types) and use that pool of buildings to create those areas, then do the same for the other regions.

Its not as quick as Copy and Paste but it lets you turn it into a bit of a production line, where you can create the buildings, place the buildings, face the buildings (shift click helps when aligning numerous buildings at once), as required rather than do those steps for each individual building.

25 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

(shift click helps when aligning numerous buildings at once), as required rather than do those steps for each individual building.

I dont know how I have missed this sofar - thx - saves a lot of time!

:)

I think (can't check at the moment) that you can also select numerous buildings / objects by using the mouse to "click and drag" and create a box, selecting everything inside it.

Update: Just tried and can confirm that this works.

Edited by Gibsonm

Just in case you didn't know, the little boxes in the corners of the road, objects, etc. controls are very useful. The top left hides members of that category. The top right makes them unselectable, the bottom left one protects lines from being moved by dragging the line "body" but still allows vertices to be moved, and finally the bottom right is the inverse of the previous, allowing the line to be moved around as a whole without accidentally moving only a single vertex.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...