SB Pro PE 2.654

Ssnake

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great many thanks for this highly evolved piece of software. I can tell it's highly evolved because I can't understand half the things that were patched! Sort of like DCS:A10, the systems are so detailed that half the time I didn't even know there was such a thing, let alone that it needed patching. The mark of an epic (and well supported) sim!

• Members
Lemur 50x sight (spotting scope?) Where is it?

Apparently a feature of future versions. It's been added as an equipment option for the Lemur in the classroom version, but apparently not yet for this PE patch. Please accept my apologies for the confusion that it may have created. Seems like I'm losing my overview as well.

:o

CV90-40 is the dispersion bug fixed?

Not sure what you are alluding to with "the CV90/40 dispersion bug" - but for a substantial number of rounds we had a conversion error for the standarddeviation, which was fixed. These corrections were made for the following 40mm rounds:

• Slpprj 90
  • Slpprj 90LK/97
  • Slpprj 90LK/05
  • Slsgr 90
  • Kulsgr 90
  • Kulsgr 95 LK

• Members

Due to the number of misleading or factually incorrect entries in the old 2.654 Release Notes, here is a revised version. Two double-entries have been deleted without further comment, the rest is greyed and striked out and/or has received a clarifying comment.

I can but apologize for the confusion that the old notes may have caused.

2-654_rev_RN_zip.7dd1cf4e0daaba027d56670

2-654_rev_RN.zip

I can barely notice the changes in dispersion to the CV-90, barely. The values, the limits that the rounds can go away from the sight are still the same, as demonstrated when I first pulled the trigger on a BMP-2 at 1200 meters, but, over time, I could see some very tiny, tiny differences in dispersion. Bofors 40mm must be a really bad gun gun in real life. Thank you eSim!

Due to the number of misleading or factually incorrect entries in the old 2.654 Release Notes, here is a revised version. Two double-entries have been deleted without further comment, the rest is greyed and striked out and/or has received a clarifying comment.

I can but apologize for the confusion that the old notes may have caused.

To paraphrase a book I once read, "Let him who is without fault cast the first stone." Things happen, and then you move on. Thanks for the revised RNs! :)

• Members
Ah well at least people now have a tease of what maybe coming. :)

...what will be coming. :)

Re the cam folders, for those who want this (not me) I guess the best option is once the full 2.654 installer is available, to de-install 2.640 and then install 2.654 to get those folders?

Correct.

• Members
I can barely notice the changes in dispersion to the CV-90, barely.

That lies in the nature of Gaussian normal distributions. The biggest difference is to be found in the rare rounds that go really astray - but in order to see the effect, you have to shoot thousands of rounds. In fact, you can PROVE a difference mathematically only with a sample of about 4,000 rounds (!!!) where you need to MEASURE each deviation between impact location and aim point, for every single round.

Still, you are right to the extent that the dispersion of the 40mm cannon is substantially higher than that of, say, the 120mm gun ... but it's notably better than that of the 25mm Bushmaster gun, to put things in perspective.

Thanks for the patch!

In regard to the changes made for the Leopards, does anyone also see the following behaviour?

- Hotkeys for the Peri slewing mode: can't find them in the controls list

- Laser key: doesn't work (can't turn it or remove it)

- Air Temp, Crosswind, Altitude, Ammo temp values don't show

- Still able to input range via keyboard

Tested in Leo 1A5 Dk, Leo 2A4 and Leopardo

- Rump

That lies in the nature of Gaussian normal distributions. The biggest difference is to be found in the rare rounds that go really astray - but in order to see the effect, you have to shoot thousands of rounds...Still, you are right to the extent that the dispersion of the 40mm cannon is substantially higher than that of, say, the 120mm gun ... but it's notably better than that of the 25mm Bushmaster gun, to put things in perspective.

History Lesson #36: back in the '60's, the Bren light machine gun was very accurate. I watched one crew take down a telephone pole with one (28 round) magazine. It was almost too accurate, as it didn't have much dispersion, and so was marginally effective on a spread out (e.g., infantry section) target. Maybe the first fully automatic sniper weapon!

Our Infantry guys are going down a similar path.

You need to get a "group" of less than X to qualify on the Minimi - sort of pointless I think for a MG that's supposed to give you a "Beaten Zone", "Cone of Fire", etc. and generally relies on dispersion to do the job. ;)

IMHO, you're absolutely right. MGs aren't supposed to be sniper rifles (said he, who fired Centurion and Cougar coax, Ferret .30 GPMG and Lynx .50 HMG) . But be careful, Mark: people might start to group you in with me, and I'm an "Old Guy!!" :eek2:

IMHO, you're absolutely right. MGs aren't supposed to be sniper rifles (said he, who fired Centurion and Cougar coax, Ferret .30 GPMG and Lynx .50 HMG) . But be careful, Mark: people might start to group you in with me, and I'm an "Old Guy!!" :eek2:
Ahhmmm! One of the USA's best snipers used a M2 .5" machine gun as a sniper rifle and up to recently had the longest recorded kill rnge with it ( quick google search....)

M2 as a sniper rifle

The M2 machine gun has also been used as a long-range sniper rifle, when equipped with a telescopic sight. Soldiers during the Korean War used scoped M2s in the role of a sniper rifle, but the practice was most notably used by US Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War. Using an Unertl telescopic sight and a mounting bracket of his own design, Hathcock could quickly convert the M2 into a sniper rifle, using the traversing-and-elevating (T&E) mechanism attached to the tripod and a bolt on pistol grip kit that converts the M2 to fire semi-automatically by activating the trigger on the side plate to assist in aiming at stationary targets.[citation needed] When firing semi-automatically, Hathcock hit man-size targets beyond 2000 yards—twice the range of a standard-caliber sniper rifle of the time (a .30-06 Winchester Model 70). In fact, Hathcock set the record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,460 yards or 1.3 miles (2,250 m), a record which stood until 2002.

Yes but the M2 has a special selector switch which truns it from a MG to a single shot weapon.

So just unlock it and you'll go from 450-550 rpm to 1.

A Brit holds the current longest range sniper kill record (well done, CoH Harrison), using a .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. Prior to him, two Canadians had the record, both using .50 cal cartridges. But these were NOT machine guns, or machine gun cartridges. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

There is a photo of the macMillan Tac-50 rifle that the two Canadians used to the right of the information table.

OK, back to armoured warfare...NOW!! :)

Thanks for the patch!

In regard to the changes made for the Leopards, does anyone also see the following behaviour?

- Hotkeys for the Peri slewing mode: can't find them in the controls list

- Laser key: doesn't work (can't turn it or remove it)

- Air Temp, Crosswind, Altitude, Ammo temp values don't show

- Still able to input range via keyboard

Tested in Leo 1A5 Dk, Leo 2A4 and Leopardo

- Rump

Also ...

"Prevented the player's use of binoculars while being in the troop leader position (F11) inside of an IFV."

Still usable for me. Tested in M2, CV9035, M113

• Moderators
Also ...

"Prevented the player's use of binoculars while being in the troop leader position (F11) inside of an IFV."

Still usable for me. Tested in M2, CV9035, M113

Yes, we are working on our internal communication; this really only happens with a patch because there is a lot of parallel work going on. In any case, the patch is really only bug fixes -- if someone's spots what sounds like it contradicts behavior mentined in notes then yes, it is our mistake in our internal record keeping. This is mainly only the case with enhancements. Anyway, we will get better. :eek:

• Members

One point was probably my fault - many of the Leopard 2 ballistic computer related issues will not make it into the Personal Edition because they are gunnery-specific elements (which were always reserved for the classroom version). We don't want to overcomplicate matters.

I shouldn't have copied and pasted them into the release notes in the first place.

I shouldn't have copied and pasted them into the release notes in the first place.

The following is an (approximate) extract from Ssnake's internal monolog:

"Ah, Cut & Paste, we meet again, when I left I was but a learner, now I am, er, still the learner. B**ger"

:)