Red Tide '85 - Message to BLUEFOR

Gibsonm

Key Blue AAR points from Main Battle #1:

1. Need succession plan in depth (with people happy to fill slots). Not just Coy CO and 2IC but a chain of 3 or 4.

During the mission we lost a Coy CO and XO close together and that company took a while to sort itself out and recover.

If you are in a Coy and the guys in front of you "drop", the SOP is:

a. Come up to the NATO TS channel and tell me and who the successor is.

b. I'll allocate the units to the new CO.

c. Then new CO needs to add himself to the Comd whisper list (forget channel commanders - it doesn't give us the functionality that we need).

d. The new CO needs to sort out a fresh succession plan in case he drops, etc.

2. Arty - Need Commanders to plot fires in time. Assume a 2 min delay or so and plot where the en will be "then", not "now". I appreciate lag maybe an issue with targets jumping but you need to allow for the delay between asking for arty and rounds on target.

3. STAY OUT OF TOWED vehicles (including F8) - you risk destroying the vehicle and being thrown out of the game (by the game, not me) so don't do it.

Be prepared for the Log guy to ask you if you are still in the vehicle when he arrives and if "yes" don't be upset when he tells you about "sex and travel" ("F*ck *ff" for the non Australians).

If you want background reading do a search on the known bug (now known to a few more) and read my Recovery Guide.

4. We need to learn how to delay properly - "die in place" certainly takes bad guys with you but gives us not much for the next battle. Pick battle positions with covered withdrawl routes, have depth call signs close enough to give you covering fire when you break (or ATGM equipped so they can reach out past you and provide an "umbrella"), use your smoke (smoke grenades, smoke dischargers and arty).

5. We miust win the recon battle and KILL recon assets. I think people ignore BRDMs and look for tanks to shoot at. A BRDM carries a radio and means you WILL get arty if he sees you and we WILL lose obstacles that they find.

Usually the recon will be forward of the main force so take every opportunity (in Recon or Main battles) to blind him.

6. Stay out of the strip 1,000m inside the unit boundary unless its decisive terrain. Units in there WILL be spotted and get arty dropped on them.

7. One for me / Comd team - we need to think about the bigger picture. On reflection I suspect some unspotted opportunity ICM fires onto the bridges in depth may have caused disruption or even blocked a route during the early "quiet" stages (one to keep in mind for the next river line).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another noob question (probably). But don't worry I have lots left. :diable:

In some other game I played, long ago, it was possible for the forum admin to set up password-protected sub sections where each side could discuss matters without worrying about the opposition evesdropping. Is that a possibility here?

Thinks: probably, not or it would have been done. But thought it worth asking JIC.

Well there is some sort of "admin" channel (denoted with a padlock).

The problem remains though that you then need the people to be in the same channel at the same time to actually have the conversation.

That is always going to be hard with people schattered across 24 time zones.

Can my Recon commander and three nationality "component commanders" let me know who their 2IC / XOs are?

I'm may as well send them the PM traffic as well (currently send 2 indentical PMs - one to five and the second to one. If I add their names its still only two PMs).

So I need:

Recon XO

US XO

DE XO and

UK XO

either by reply here or PM. :)

Can my Recon commander and three nationality "component commanders" let me know who their 2IC / XOs are?

I'm may as well send them the PM traffic as well (currently send 2 indentical PMs - one to five and the second to one. If I add their names its still only two PMs).

So I need:

Recon XO

US XO

DE XO and

UK XO

either by reply here or PM. :)

UK XO will probably be Marco, but I have yet to hear if he is definitely 'up' (in both senses of the word) for it.

And just in case he's not available nor is Hedge, I will happily be XO for Brit Force.

Great, but that's an internal arrangement.

I'm not sending 3 x PMs out on the off chance one of you is doing it this week.

I'm sending one PM to the designated XO (and that's Marko until Tjay tells me otherwise).

Great, but that's an internal arrangement.

I'm not sending 3 x PMs out on the off chance one of you is doing it this week.

I'm sending one PM to the designated XO (and that's Marko until Tjay tells me otherwise).

Agreed, this was more just in case Marko dropped out of the session and Tjay needed an XO. And not an excuse just to receive the PM. Planning is of course up to you guys. ;)

Agreed, this was more just in case Marko dropped out of the session and Tjay needed an XO. And not an excuse just to receive the PM. Planning is of course up to you guys. ;)

Always good to have depth.

Sounds like Tjay should have his succession plan sorted then.

You need to now think about who replaces you. :)

And just in case he's not available nor is Hedge, I will happily be XO for Brit Force.

Pincer,

Now see what you've done - upset MG. Easily done though. :)

Thanks for your offer to replace Marko if he drops or doesn't get up. Accepted.

What we don't know at the moment is who the C.O and 2 i/c will be. If Hedge accepts C.O I will understudy him as 2 i/c.

If Hedge drops - as he is prone to do - and I step up to C.O, I'd be grateful if you could replace me as 2 i/c. If I end up as C.O from the start I will need you as my 2 i/c, in which case Marko just won't have a deputy - there aren't enough of us.

I'm sure 'It'll be alright on the night'. :diable:

Guys,

Can you just tell me one name?

I've sent Marko about 7 PMs (based on:

Marko has accepted the role of xo.
) so he is up to speed and there is little point if he is not the person.

This is why I asked for your solution Tjay, not a bunch of random nominations.

Tjay and Marko have all the information so that is the initial UK command team for this battle and I'll expect you both to be on the command whisper list.

Want to change it for next time, fine, just give me the solution after your internal discussions (via PM, at UK Armour, whatever) are complete.

Edited by Gibsonm

This is why I asked for your solution Tjay, not a bunch of random nominations.

Tjay and Marko have all the information so that is the initial UK command team for this battle and I'll expect you both to be on the command whisper list.

Expect away Colonel.

When this campaign was first muted I specifically told you that I was unwilling to take a position above company commander due to my inexperience. Your response was a sarky remark about ' needing to live up to my signature block' and then appointing me batallion commander without even the courtesy of notifying me personally.

So, no, I will NOT act a batallion commander in any scenario in this campaign. What you do about that is your business. UK Armour is NOT participating in this campaign as an official organisation. If Hedge or any other member of UK Armour wishes to assume the C.O role that is, of course, their personal perogative and absolutely fine by me.

then appointing me batallion commander without even the courtesy of notifying me personally.

Please check you facts before making allegations.

I was required to "step up" and the people who told me that "promoted" you, not me.

Your beef on that front is with "them" not me.

However in "their" defence I didn't see any posts about "I'd rather not" when the command appointment list was adjusted.