Win 8 + SB runs fine

ARM505

OK, I'm going to pipe in here too. Win* is vastly faster than Win7 in all aspects, ie; my USB3 connection now averages close to 150Mb/s On Win 7 it was at the highest half that. Metro sucks, go get the very useful and very free Clasic Shell to avoid it...for now that is. Win8.1 allows you to choose between that Metro thing or the desktop that should be there in the first place. Sure MS really blew it with Metro but the kernel, admin.perf tools, file management and lots of other functionality of 8 is very nice indeed and yes....better than 7.

I am still dumbstruck by that lemming procession before my eyes.

The power of marketing. The sheep-like tendency of the general populace. The nefarious idea that if you are not 'connected' at ALL times you are really a non-person who is probably about to lose their spouse, their friends and their job. Seriously, I know one guy who dictates letters to his P.A while driving to work. :(

The power of marketing. The sheep-like tendency of the general populace. The nefarious idea that if you are not 'connected' at ALL times you are really a non-person who is probably about to lose their spouse, their friends and their job. Seriously, I know one guy who dictates letters to his P.A while driving to work. :(

Ah, the sheeple... or sheople.

• 3 weeks later...
Re Windows 8 -> just FYI:

Bought new computer; runs Windows 8; installed SB

Error msg: "d3dx9_31.dll can not be found"

-> FYI: a download of DirectX 9.0c did not solve the problem, as "DirectX 9.0c can only be installed on Win XP, Vista, 7, etc" so not on Windows 8 ..."

-> But this solved the problem: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Apart from that, Win 8 seems to be fine with SB

Somehow I can't get directx to work (allways get the "d3dx9_31.dll can not be found")

message. I installed directX 9c...how can I check that is actually working? (have win7 64 bit)

What is best practice?...Dx9 install, then SB install? any reboots in order??

Grenny,

No idea if its "best practice" or not but the relevant part of the instructions I send people wanting to borrow a license is:

Can you do the following:

1. Download the simulation itself from here and install it:

http://www.esimgames.com/Downloads.htm#Steel_Beasts_Pro_PE_2.654

1a. Very important that if you are running Windows 8 / 7 / Vista that you install it “as Administrator”.

2. Ensure you have Direct X 9.0c installed on your machine (even if you have say Direct X 11 which I believe comes with Windows 7 you still need 9.0c specifically). This can be obtained from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19518131/dxwebsetup.exe

3. Then we just need to give you access to a spare license of mine.

• Members

It doesn't matter in which sequence it is being installed. You can install it first, or afterwards. I recommend using the links given in the release notes. They go straight to Microsoft.com and should therefore always be up to date.

Downloading it from other sources increases the risk of it being outdated, or worse (that's nothing against your service Mark, I'm mentioning this as a simple matter of principle).