1st Canadian Armor Division

Guest theGUNSLINGER

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Guys, total new guy here, no online Steel Beasts experience but I have gone through the M1A1 tutorials. Is this open to anyone regardless of experience? Or can someone find training opportunities as well? What I am looking for is how to operate within a group, lingo etc. I feel ok at operating a tank and its various weaponry well the M1A1 anyway. I live just outside of Edmonton Alberta so the time should work for me.

Hey Guys, total new guy here, no online Steel Beasts experience but I have gone through the M1A1 tutorials. Is this open to anyone regardless of experience? Or can someone find training opportunities as well? What I am looking for is how to operate within a group, lingo etc. I feel ok at operating a tank and its various weaponry well the M1A1 anyway. I live just outside of Edmonton Alberta so the time should work for me.

We will have a session next week I think (wed night 10pm ONT time). Just seeing who is available to join in. We would be happy for you to join us fellow Canuks. Mostly we use the Leo 2A5, but you will be ok if you understand that crap tank from down past our boarder (hahahaha, RS is now blowing his top:o):tongue:. Keep ckin in here for more details or just PM me.

Sound off those that can make it......

We will have a session next week I think (wed night 10pm ONT time). Just seeing who is available to join in. We would be happy for you to join us fellow Canuks. Mostly we use the Leo 2A5, but you will be ok if you understand that crap tank from down past our boarder (hahahaha, RS is now blowing his top:o):tongue:. Keep ckin in here for more details or just PM me.

Sound off those that can make it......

Thanks for that. I decided to learn on the basic M1 as it appears there are so many scenarios for it and figured it was a good place to start and get into a game where I feel somewhat comfortable. If memory serves, the Leopard is even easier to use. I did go through the tutorials last summer but will try to go over them again this weekend.

Just out of curiousity, what positions do a new guy take on the first online experience? Do they take one tank? Spectate? Or take a troop? I wouldn't want to take on a role that is too critical as I am sure I will be fumbling for keys in the heat of battle. I would be happy if I can at least prove I can connect. I did go through the port forwarding procedure and think I have it but just need to try it.

I'll plan to show up next Wednesday night, looking forward to it

Tracer

Tracer,

If you're familiar with the scenario "Tanx," you can call it up in the Mission Editor and swap out the M1s for Leo 2A5s. that'll give you a fair bit of practice on the Leo before you drop in to a 1 Cdn Armd Div session.

12A, I'll see how the comp-sim goes on Tuesday and Wednesday: might be able to make our session after all. Test day on Tuesday, and we go to run on the Wednesday. I'll let you know ASAP. :biggrin:

Tracer,

If you're familiar with the scenario "Tanx," you can call it up in the Mission Editor and swap out the M1s for Leo 2A5s. that'll give you a fair bit of practice on the Leo before you drop in to a 1 Cdn Armd Div session.

12A, I'll see how the comp-sim goes on Tuesday and Wednesday: might be able to make our session after all. Test day on Tuesday, and we go to run on the Wednesday. I'll let you know ASAP. :biggrin:

Rgr,thanks.:)

Tracer,

Thanks for the advice Tango, I ran this last night. Dam its tough. My best mission was the last one where my Gunner was wounded due to me running into a tree LOL, but I managed to take out 4 enemy tanks. All the other games were me dying after the first tank makes contact with me whether I see it or not : ). I'm going to start going through the Leopard 2 tutorials again starting tonight. Things are coming back pretty good from last year when I first started so hopefully the transition back to the Leopard should be pretty easy. Looking forward to getting out in the field with you guys.

Thanks for the advice Tango, I ran this last night. Dam its tough.

You might be a tad too aggressive in the early innings if you're finding it too tough, but it is a real challenge. Perhaps try to lay up in an ambush position (teaches reading the map and the ground) and take out two or three baddies. Then move a bit from hide to hide, get a few more, then go after the remainder. The problem in the early stages is that, if you come up against one enemy tank, probably one or two others are in position to engage you. But it is a charge when you actually win one of these scenarios. Good luck! :biggrin:

You might be a tad too aggressive in the early innings if you're finding it too tough, but it is a real challenge. Perhaps try to lay up in an ambush position (teaches reading the map and the ground) and take out two or three baddies. Then move a bit from hide to hide, get a few more, then go after the remainder. The problem in the early stages is that, if you come up against one enemy tank, probably one or two others are in position to engage you. But it is a charge when you actually win one of these scenarios. Good luck! :biggrin:

Hey Tango,

I think that is my problem. I am hunting, not running around the battlefield but driving trying to use the ground looking for hull down positions. I start off by going west to take on the two tanks just to the north west, but then I get bounced by 3 tanks on the ridge to the east. Once I figured this out and was ready for them I was able to do better. I'll try the ambush strategy and let them come to me if I can or move to a better position to await again.

Hey Tango,

I think that is my problem. I am hunting, not running around the battlefield but driving trying to use the ground looking for hull down positions. I start off by going west to take on the two tanks just to the north west, but then I get bounced by 3 tanks on the ridge to the east. Once I figured this out and was ready for them I was able to do better. I'll try the ambush strategy and let them come to me if I can or move to a better position to await again.

Let them come to you in the early stages, which is easy to do as they outnumber you 9:1! There is no time constraint in the scenario, so just whittle them down one by one. Eventually you'll have to go on the offensive just to find the last one or two, but by then the odds are much more in your favour. This scenario is a lesson in patience as well as individual movement and map reading. Good luck!

Great mission last night. Being new I learned a lot. I am still making basic mistakes handling a platoon but after our post game chat I'll run some offline missions and see if I can work on the issues.

Same with my initial positioning. I did a mission over at United Operations and was given crap for being ahead of our marked position, I was just outside the line but I thought I had flexibility in positioning. The position I was told to stay in had a stand of trees to my front then a big open field, so I advanced to that stand and had a clear LOS. I was then told to get back, so I followed orders and came back. So I assumed the same logic here but I learned that its ok to ask to reposition and let command know. I definitely do that next time. I did manage to catch glimpses of tanks as they passed between trees but was unable to get rounds on them. Lessen learned.

Its going to be a learning process but people seem ok with that and there are a lot of great mentors on here. Looking forward to learning and being more effective.

Looking forward to the next event

Tracer