T-72 Autoloader / Manual loading

Maj.Hans

So, I guess this question is for anybody here familiar with the T-72 and it's details.

As we all know, the T-72 stores it's ammunition quite literally everywhere.

I know that the autoloader is quite reliable, but naturally it can still break, malfunction, or suffer damage. I know that when the loader is damaged, the TC has to use a bunch of hand cranks to manually operate it, and this results in a rate of fire of something like one round per minute.

But again, the crew is surrounded by the ammunition...So is it possible for them to simply grab the reload rounds and start manually loading the gun?

So, I guess this question is for anybody here familiar with the T-72 and it's details.

As we all know, the T-72 stores it's ammunition quite literally everywhere.

I know that the autoloader is quite reliable, but naturally it can still break, malfunction, or suffer damage. I know that when the loader is damaged, the TC has to use a bunch of hand cranks to manually operate it, and this results in a rate of fire of something like one round per minute.

But again, the crew is surrounded by the ammunition...So is it possible for them to simply grab the reload rounds and start manually loading the gun?

Yes, its possible, but not faster, than back-up mode for automatic loader; also note, that powered rammer is still available with AL in manual mode(asumming that vehicle did not lost electric power). For exact timing i must take a look on to training standards.

If it's not faster to simply reach over and throw a new projectile and charge into the gun, why is that?

Is it faster just to turn the cranks than to get the straps/clips/buckles un done on the stored rounds?

More likely, there isn't enough room to swing a cat in a T-72.

Let alone man-handle 125mm ammo around (Even if it is 2 parts)

If it's not faster to simply reach over and throw a new projectile and charge into the gun, why is that?

No. And only 3 complete rounds are accessible by gunner in any turret position or without assistance from driver. This also mean that loading the gun from non-mechanized racks distracts gunner from his other tasks. 2 complete rounds are accessible by TC without restrictions.

In all other cases turret must be traversed to different angles(there also few manipulations with PKT boxes needed to reach some rounds).

Is it faster just to turn the cranks than to get the straps/clips/buckles un done on the stored rounds?

Yes, since you need do some other additional things. This why current(2003) russian training standards are:

-Manually load gun from conveyor(obj. 172, 172M, 184): 45sek(excellent); 50sek(good);1 min(satisfactory).

-Manually load gun from conveyor(obj. 219, 219R, 434, 447A, 478): 1min.10sek(excellent); 1min.15sek.(good); 1min.20sek(satisfactory)

-Manually load gun from non-mechanized racks(obj.172, 172M, 184, 219, 219R, 434, 447A, 478): 45sek(excellent); 50sek(good); 55sek(satisfactory)

Edited by Jartsev

Interesting. It looks like for the T-64/80 style tanks reloading from the racks is actually slightly faster, but it's pretty close for the T-72.

Another question for you, I was browsing tank stuff on the web the other night, and someone made the claim that while the T-64 and T-80 can load their missiles via the autoloader, the stub bases for the missiles still need to be manually loaded?

That sounds incorrect to me?

Interesting. It looks like for the T-64/80 style tanks reloading from the racks is actually slightly faster, but it's pretty close for the T-72.

Actual diffrence in tactical situation is marginal, and manual reloading from conveyor is preffered(since it less labor consuming).

Another question for you, I was browsing tank stuff on the web the other night, and someone made the claim that while the T-64 and T-80 can load their missiles via the autoloader, the stub bases for the missiles still need to be manually loaded?

That sounds incorrect to me?

Yes this is not correct. T-64B and T-80B have 9K112-series guided missile system. This system uses 9M112 or 9M112M missiles. Those missiles handled as normal gun rounds, but can not be loaded manually(missile is divided on two sections, rear one have small stub with ejection charge; both sections are connected to flight configuration during ramming).

Here is picture showing layout of 9M112 missile:

FTUuA.jpg

1- Warhead

2- Flight motor

3- Ejector(launch) assy

4- Sabot(protective cover)

5- Tail section

6- Contol unit

7- Front section

Newer 9M119 missiles and their ejecting devices used with 9K120(T-72B) and 9K119(T-80U, T-90) guided missile systems can be loaded manually in case of emergency(because there no more need to connect two sections together), but normal procedure is to use automatic loader.

Picture showing 3UBK14 round(9M119 missile with 9Kh949 ejecting device) loaded to main gun:

u69Fj.jpg