We love screenshots

stalintc

I served on M-60A1's in Co C/4/64A 3rd Bgd/3ID in the early '70s. Loved that tank. Here's some screenshots that remind me of some of wargames we participated in while there.

As an aside - the modeling doesn't seem right. The hull appears too short and too high off the ground (especially from the side).

Enjoy.

M60A3-OnTheMove.jpg.116df447b29b61266159

M60A3-OnTheMove-2.jpg.b79476fe60858c18ee

TheFistApproaches.jpg.eaa22726fcb70753bd

M60A3-OnTheMove.jpg.116df447b29b61266159

M60A3-OnTheMove-2.jpg.b79476fe60858c18ee

TheFistApproaches.jpg.eaa22726fcb70753bd

In the mid '70s I was 7 years old and in the first grade when I built my 2nd model, a Tamiya 1/35 M60A1, the box cover of which is my profile pic on this forum. My 1st model was an MPC 1/72 B-17G. I have always loved the lines of the M60A1 since I first saw and built that model.

• Moderators
The hull appears too short and too high off the ground (especially from the side).

On the real M60 the bottom of the hull come to just below the top of the road wheels, so it looks close enough to my eyes. However, I am sure than any odd look of it has to do with the lack of, dare I say it, moving suspension.

On the real M60 the bottom of the hull come to just below the top of the road wheels, so it looks close enough to my eyes. However, I am sure than any odd look of it has to do with the lack of, dare I say it, moving suspension.

Here are pics of the real thing and the SB Model.

I think the dimensional issue may be one of lighting (way too much light under the hull of the model) and possibly angle but it still looks like the hull on the model is way too high. On the real tank the bottom of the hull is even with the torsion bars which are 3/4 from the top of the road whees. On the model the bottom of the hull is at the top of the road wheels. In addition, and this may very well be a problem of perception, the road wheels in the model appear too small and too widely spaced.

As for length - that one is just old memories and perception. That appears to be correct in the model. That said: there's an M-60A1 at the 45th Inf Div museum here in Oklahoma City. When going there and looking at it once or twice a year I still get an impression of size and massivelness standing beside it that one just doesn't get from the model in SB. Which is strange because one does get that feeling of massiveness from the M1 model.

Looking at the real deal I will admit that the length is modeled correctly. 40 year old memories and getting old I guess. The M-60A1 just always felt bigger, more massive to me than the way it feels in the game.

M60A1Tank1.jpg.5907baf76ab2507b7ca975a37

SS_09_00_17.jpg.486662833673232a7043b9d7

M60A1Tank1.jpg.5907baf76ab2507b7ca975a37

SS_09_00_17.jpg.486662833673232a7043b9d7

• Members

I think the useful reference are the connections bwteen roadwheel swing arms and the torsion bars to which they are attached, and where the roadwheels are in relation to that. In both cases they seem to be at about 80% the height of the roadwheels. The rest is lighting (or the lack of shadows).

Generally, all tanks appear smaller in SB Pro than they actually are. The Leo 2A4 in game isn't quite as impressive as the real thing either. It strikes me most with the BRDM however, which is quite a truck when you stand next to it while in SB Pro - well, we all know, "it just wants to play and won't bite", it's a bit the puppy of all the armored vehicles in it.

Your screen resolution will account for some of this- when I look at screenshots of other users, they certainly can look different than mine. I run SB at 1024 x 768, the vehicles tend to look more flat, longer, and more wide. It so happens it's my prefered graphics mode for performance, but visually it seems to give a good aspect ratio. At other resolutions, the T-72 looks taller but less long with a higher center of gravity, almost like a late WW2 Sherman tank.

T-72M1 @ 1024x768

SS_23_20_59.jpg

M60A3 @ 1024x768

SS_16_40_54.jpg

SS_12_11_19.jpg

well, the M60 could be that there's something iffy with it. the reference line drawings i used was terrible. but they do match up with the sizes given in the patton book by hunnicutt.

in SB you don't really have much to compare the size of the vehicles with, and it doesn't help that at all times your viewpoint is at the TC hatch height. if you put a civilian car besides a tank in SB however, you'll start to appreciate how massive the tanks are.

M60A3side.jpg.ef593e8bc7265c080819de61e8

M60A3side.jpg.ef593e8bc7265c080819de61e8

What did you do to get it working??????

Me wants!!!!

lots of messing around. Its just an virtual box running XP in seamless mode, I give it 2 gigs of RAM and 256 meg for the video. I had to turn on the virtualisation settings in the bios and pass through the usb ports for the code meter to work ( remote licensing will not work if the CM server on the the same PC. be carful not to remove the code meter stick while its mounted in the XP-VB. mounting it in the linux host will un-cleanly remove it from the XP client and this may brake it. SB worked for a while running at approx 24fps, but then I broke it and now I can only get about 9 fps. as time permits I will get it working again and post up the details. I will be happy if I can get 30+ fps out of it.

• 4 weeks later...