Hello all - just joined the party!

desertowl

Bought the SIM 10 days ago, arrived today!

been looking for a long time to buy it but only now cleared enough time for it (I hope).

hope to see you all online soon (after I'll figure what goes where).

BTW - does anyone here have X52 profile he can share to make the adjustments a bit quicker?

thanks in advance,

Moshe.

Bought the SIM 10 days ago, arrived today!

been looking for a long time to buy it but only now cleared enough time for it (I hope).

hope to see you all online soon (after I'll figure what goes where).

BTW - does anyone here have X52 profile he can share to make the adjustments a bit quicker?

thanks in advance,

Moshe.

Sure, private message me your email address and I'll send it on its way.

A question about versions - I see that I have VER 2.328.

do I need to install the hotfix? what about the beta VER? is it available and recommended?

Also, what about the code meter? Should I update it as well?

thanks in advance for the answers...

Moshe.

More n00b questions...

in the LEO2A5, while in commander outside view, for some reason I can't override the gunner.

is this a joystick issue (x52) or am i doing something wrong? in the M1A1 it works like magic...

BTW, I also noticed the weird graphical episcope problem that was reported by Hedgehog.

• Members
in the LEO2A5, while in commander outside view, for some reason I can't override the gunner.

That's intentional.

Technically it is possible but you need a long arm, an awkward position to reach the two buttons, and then the turret usually gos in the wrong direction because the stabilized peri was pointing in a different direction than where the target is. We decided to simply strike this function.

Another question - what is the function of SHIFT + CTRL (mark position)?

It does nothing accept giving me a crosshair icon on screen as far as I can tell...

And while I'm at it - where can i find hight and texture maps of the Golan heights (or any other region in Israel/bordering neighbors) , I saw some missions written for the area, but I couldn't find the map itself for download.

I'm getting the hang of it, soon I'll feel ready enough to go online.

Thanks for the help and best regards,

Moshe.

You can find different maps for download here:http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/20

If you've seen a scenario with a map that you want to use, you can open the scenario in the mission editor and extract the map. Then you can build your own mission. Apart from that, you'd would have to ask around for someone to make the height map for you, then you would have to build the terrain file yourself which can be a huge amout of work.

• Members
Another question - what is the function of SHIFT + CTRL (mark position)?

It's supposed to be used in situations when you, the human user, want to tell the computer that you have spotted something. It could be that your mission is to scout a certain place. Now, it's up to you from where you want to observe the place. In this case it's impractical for the mission designer to create a scoring formula that rewards you for capturing one of potentially many regions from which you can observe the target area. It's better to count the number of units that have been reconnoitered in the target region. But how does the computer know that you spotted something?

You need to tag it somehow.

You can do so by using the laser range finder, or, if you're in a crew/observer position without access to the LRF, use the Shift+Lase combo (release the Lase button/Ctrl key while keeping Shift pressed to "fire" the tag).

That's all it does. But if the crosshairs were lined up with the target properly the computer will now know that you spotted something.

In addition this can be useful if the computer is (seemingly) unaware of a threat while you're in the external observer's position. That way you can make sure that the computer-controlled crew will take the threat into account while prioritizing the targets around it. It's not a priority override command though. The unit may still decide not to open fire, e.g. because the current battle position has Hold Fire orders or it's out of ammo or it couldn't damage the target or there's another target with an even higher threat rating (which you may not have spotted yet).