Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rump

Target practise rubber tank

Hi all,

A while ago I was given this rubber 'tank' (see picture). The story is that this was used for target practise during WWII. Can somebody confirm that? Anyone recognize it?

Thanks,

-Rump

Target.jpg.f7156448430f5769ce1ecc7f612ca

Target.jpg.f7156448430f5769ce1ecc7f612ca

Greetings,

A similar rubber design is still being used now. It's used by the tank troop 2Ic's to review, in field, tank drills. They are nearly indistructable, small and work well for practicing troop tank drills before you execute the practiced movements with the real vehicles.

They also use them on the indoor tank/AFV mini ranges with wires attached to allow for "movers" for gunnery pratice. There's a lazer attachment mounted on the turrets that's linked to the sights and barrel and "fires" a Lazer beam at the "target". (Rubber does not reflect lazer light very well)

Later ..... 9erRed

Awards

...We use "rubber tanks" anf IFVs for range estimation(using scopes) and aiming training for the PzFst. It also includes some cordes to pull the tanks along ;-)

The training method is called "kleines Zielfeld"("small target area"), in my unit we also had house models and stuff in the same scale.

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's very possible my model isn't from WWII, but just a modern day training tool!

Regards,

-Rump

Based on the size of the screw in that picture, and the grain of the wood, that thing looks really, really small. It must be used basically right next to the AT troops who are practicing! I just find the whole scene terribly funny - picture it, there's some hardcore AT troopers, apparently trying to kill what appears to be a terrified mouse being pulled around by one of their buddies with some string!!

I guess I'm missing something. :)

Based on the size of the screw in that picture, and the grain of the wood, that thing looks really, really small. It must be used basically right next to the AT troops who are practicing! I just find the whole scene terribly funny - picture it, there's some hardcore AT troopers, apparently trying to kill what appears to be a terrified mouse being pulled around by one of their buddies with some string!!

I guess I'm missing something. :)

Hey, its a cheap, ecological training method :-P