My Apology

Would the "Hopebusters" be of any use in a multiplayer scenario?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would the "Hopebusters" be of any use in a multiplayer scenario?

I know I said I wouldn't start any more threads, but I just have to say what I've tried to say throughout my last thread, and I didn't think my last thread would be the place to say it: I'm sorry for ever coming up with such an idea as I did. It's a possibility for Red, but can't be done for Blue because of a lack of resources, and the whole thing would be pointless, now that I look back at it. Also, the title was off, as was my initial post,and I'm also sorry for misleading everyone

Now I've realized that recon should be a planned and methodical business. So can anyone accept my apology and forgive me? And I hope this thread doesn't turn into another assault on me. If I can't even apologize for what I've done without everyone else attacking me again, this will be the last post I ever make on this forum. But if anyone can accept my apology, I'll try to keep my head down and not suggest anything radical for a long time, and when I do suggest something radical, it will only be after I've tested it in an offline session.

Posted by Ssnake

I don't think that you did anything wrong that would warrant the apology in the first place. Relax. Everything's fine.:smilelove-1:

Well, some people didn't think so, which is why I put this up. But I'll try to relax, as I don't have anything earth-shattering to propose for now.

My preferred tank is the Leopard. The M1 is nice, what with it's Chobham armor and M829A1 rounds, but its sighting reticule can become squirrelly if I attempt to traverse the turret too fast while moving, so the Leopard is my overall preferred tank.

My preferred PC is the M2, hands down. The CV90 does have a lower profile, but its C variant's multiple ammo and fuse selections still have me feeling out of place. While the M2 is higher and thus more visible, it also helps me see further out over the battlefield, and with its very effective Bushmaster cannon, its ATGM launcher, and its simple ammo selection, it's my favorite.

What are your favorite tanks and PCs?

My preferred tank is the Leopard. The M1 is nice, what with it's Chobham armor and M829A1 rounds, but its sighting reticule can become squirrelly if I attempt to traverse the turret too fast while moving, so the Leopard is my overall preferred tank.

Honestly I still play the M1 over the Leo 2A5 or Strv 122!

When it comes to the aiming system on the M1..try to think of it as a computerized football QB...it shows you the lead that is involved.

And ah yes....A1 ammo.. I have seen it hit many a Russian tank .... destroying the GPS or busting up a road wheel..and compared to the Russians HEAT round( which has a better PO value at range than the A1 by the way...does it people..I forget) it has a fairly flat trajectory.

If you ever make your own scenario with M1s vs Leos....give the leos an edge by giving the leos DM 53 or make things more even by using US ammo M829A3!

ChuikovChambered, I don't think you have to apologize, I just never understood what you were trying to say. To me, recon is a highly valuable tool (I was ANGLICO after all) and can really help sway a battle. As for driving once main force into the rear with all speed, bypassing the enemy, and killing their supply - this is great, but I don't think it likely at least not in the sense of the video you posted. Again, no need to apologize, I just never really understood what you were trying to say.

Posted by phaeden

this is great, but I don't think it likely at least not in the sense of the video you posted. Again, no need to apologize, I just never really understood what you were trying to say.

I agree, and I should have explained the video's role earlier in the thread. Its role was to show the results of my idea. I'll relax about apologies and move along.:)

• Moderators

Well, to be honest, I couldn't quite tell what you were trying to say in the other thread, but you did inspire me to finish making a scenario that I had been brainstorming for years (literally). Maybe it will be ready by this TGIF. It is a symmetrical scenario with an HQ (aka. base) on either side and both sides have options to pick their forces as the game progresses. It should be good ol' SB1'ish fun!

Hopefully, I can help clarify. My idea has evolved into its current form, known as the "Hopebusters" due to my very heated thread (which I am staying off as promised). This unit consists of 1 platoon of CV9040s (preferably the C variant, to spare them from front line chaos), and 1 platoon of M3s (I'm assuming the M2s are wanted elsewhere). Their assignment is to sneak through to the enemy rear, and ambush reinforcements and supply dumps :diable:while reporting their findings to the commanding officers.

It's great to hear I've inspired someone.:) I think it's the first time I've done so in this forum.

• Moderators

Well, all this talk about "supply areas", "reinforcements" and "bases" inspired me to finish a scenario which actually adds something along these lines (an HQ, steady reinforcements, support units etc).

As far as what you are describing being useful in SB multi player, well the only thing you can do is show up and play and see how it goes, so it is not a yes or no issue. I don't see anything wrong with what you suggest other than the fact that you will rarely find any "supply dumps" or reinforcements in an SB scenario. That said, you would probably have to make a scenario that has some sort of area where BLUEFOR supply trucks spawn in the rear, and a BLUEFOR superior force (either attacking or defending) up front that is very low on ammo and maybe needs repair. You could then put some OPFOR deployment zones in the rear of the of the front line with their whole job being the interception and disruption of the resupply while the BLUEFOR attack is stopped (or their defense is broken). It would make for an interesting scenario but the very nature of it means that it would have to be large to get the right feeling. Beyond that, there are no supply dumps, bases or reinforcements to speak of in most SB scenarios.

The SB scenario editor can be powerful to the extent that if you want to see a scenario play out a certain way, you can design in certain aspects that stress those characteristics. However, for the most part, the extent of most scenario designer's imagination has been limited to MTCs, and straight attack / defense. It would be nice to see some creativity exhibited by some in the community for TGIF games instead of the tendency for people to just show up and expect to be dazzled, awed, and entertained by some spontaneously generated scenario.

TeamSpeak is up and running!:luxhello: Now my question is: How do I connect to the TeamSpeak server for Steel Beasts from the TeamSpeak interface? Also, why is the countdown timer on the home page showing less than 1 day until party time?:confused:

Update: Nevermind the first question, I connected on my own and found the TS manual.

Update 2: Nevermind the second question either; the clock has reverted to normal. Must have been the browser

• 2 weeks later...