Mogwa

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I appreciate you may have high standards but as the guys under your command said yesterday "good job".

I was on the other side of the hill and you sure gave us a run for our money.

Everyone enjoyed the challenge and I'm not sure we can expect more than that.

Having said that I think there is usually hesitation about being a CO so if you are volunteering, I don't think many will stand in your way. :)

I appreciate you may have high standards but as the guys under your command said yesterday "good job".

I agree. I was under your command on Friday and, as I said then, for a first attempt, you did well. With experience you will improve, and you will see that those working with you will do all that they can to help. I hope to see you again on TGIF. Happy New Year! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I was thinking I may be able to join tomorrow's Friday Battle but a cross-check of times suggests that 9:00pm CST, 13/01 equates to 4:00pm, 14/01 in Auckland, New Zealand which may be a little too late (for some reason I thought it was earlier than that). Could someone please confirm for me?

It's suggested in the first post that people join at least 30 minutes before the scenario starts, which I assume is 8:30pm CST, but if I need to confirm connectivity via port forwarding (I've followed the instructions but haven't confirmed connectivity) does this allow enough time?

Finally, roughly how long should I allow from commencement of the Friday Battle to its conclusion?

Apologies for all the questions but I need to understand if I can negotiate sufficient time on the home front to join tomorrow. If not, it'll still come in handy for next time.

Thanks

The start time is usually 9:00 CST which according to a world time clock converter is Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 4:00:00 PM in Auckland NZ. It not unusual too start late.

If you can connect to another player before the game you should be fine for the friday game. if you havent, show up a bit early on Teamspeak and ask someone to host a game and try to join it. If you can join it then you should be ok. if you cant then there are smart folks around that can usually get you sorted out. Thats why I suggest to show up early.

Most games usually go 90 minutes to 2 hours and usually have about 20 minutes or so of planning so I would imagine it would finish up around 6:30 - 6:45 PM in Auckland.

Hope this helps,

Mog

The start time is usually 9:00 CST which according to a world time clock converter is Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 4:00:00 PM in Auckland NZ. It not unusual too start late.

If you can connect to another player before the game you should be fine for the friday game. if you havent, show up a bit early on Teamspeak and ask someone to host a game and try to join it. If you can join it then you should be ok. if you cant then there are smart folks around that can usually get you sorted out. Thats why I suggest to show up early.

Most games usually go 90 minutes to 2 hours and usually have about 20 minutes or so of planning so I would imagine it would finish up around 6:30 - 6:45 PM in Auckland.

Hope this helps,

Mog

Thanks Mog, that's a great help. Unfortunately I think it's going to run too late for me to join this week but now that I understand all the details I'll try to join another weekend in the not too distant future when I don't have other commitments.

Have fun!

• 5 weeks later...

During the AAR this afternoon / tonight there was discussion of a possible variation on the TGIF format.

With the return of the "save plan" option the suggestion is we go to a two week planning / execution cycle:

Week 1: Potential CO for Week 2 and likely key players (Coy Comds, OS, CSS, etc.) identified.

In between CO and key appointments prepare plan. This might consist of CO giving intent and then passing the file around so each successive Coy Comd can load plan, add graphics and save plan before passing it on.

CO can then review the cummulative "agreed plan" and adjust (as is his want).

Week 2: "Week 2 CO" loads agreed plan and briefs his side. Key players have already had input, "casual" players fill less important roles. Plan for Week 2 executed.

Potential CO for Week 3 and likely key players (Coy Comds, OS, CSS, etc.) identified.

Cycle continues ....

This allows the CO time to plan pre TGIF while minimising the "waiting time" on the night.

Key subordinates become familiar with their task and their contribution to the "progressive save plan" cycle effectively back briefs the CO well before H Hr.

Allows more complex / complete plans (hard for a BG CO to come up with a detailed plan from zero knowledge in 10 mins "on the night").

Obstacle overlays can the more detailed.

Newer players not forced into command roles "on the night" but can put their name forward for next week as their confidence grows.

Most people know what they are doing in seven days so if they commit they should probably be able to honour it, however everyone faces unscheduled short notice issues and if that's the case their replacement will at least have the shell of their predecessor's plan to work off (or the CO can focus on them as everyone else is accross the plan).

Also the "save plan" means if the session needs to restart, less time would be lost setting things up.

As all the key players need the scenario file before TGIF for the planning process if would reduce the number of people downloading it on the night - again reducing the delay between the start time and when play actually starts.

Thoughts?

The key factor here is deciding the mission ahead of time. :) We seem to be used to just winging it, which leads to the "last minute plans."

I like the idea of the swapped plan file, depending on who can commit to playing on a given date. The "additive" property is good for helping the unit leaders really understand their roles.

I also think that the system would be flexible enough to accommodate personnel that had to cancel, since the overall plan would still be better formed.

And even if you don't want to be a part of the larger planning cycle, you can still just show up and play.

So what are the next steps? Who's making the call on what TGIF mission is going to be played? Sean...will you fall on that grenade? :D

And even if you don't want to be a part of the larger planning cycle, you can still just show up and play.

Yes, they can just "plug in" on the night.

So what are the next steps? Who's making the call on what TGIF mission is going to be played? Sean...will you fall on that grenade? :D

Well this week could be the "usual" and at the end "someone" can spin the chocolate wheel for the next week's battle and the lucky winner. :)

• 9 months later...

So, as we all know, the eve of destruction is upon us. The Mayans have spoken (sort of) and D-day has been set for 21 December, 2012. Now that happens to be a Friday. Coincidence?! ...I think not.

The question is: Are we going to duke it out in a gloriously massive doomsday tank battle royale? Or will we just sputter and die with a whimper?

I say: "In about a month, tanks from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest mechanized battle in the history of simulation. Simulation, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by cast turrets and bouncy road wheels any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that December 21st is a Friday, and you will once again be fighting for...well enjoyment, really. Not in Battlefield III, Arma, or any other mere "game", but in Steel Beasts! We're fighting for our right to find hull down positions, to blow stuff up...and should we win the day, the 21st of December will no longer be known as a Mayan doomsday, but as the day when the community declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to play on, we're going to drink lots of coffee.' Today we celebrate our TGIF!!"

...Wait, I think I have the wrong speech here. :debile2: