Friday night game info for the new players

Mogwa

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, i have considered multiplaying, but is there any "new guy" scenarios being run for new multiplayers?

I have seen some of the multiplayer videos on youtube, and would lke some more experinece, before i join the "Top Gun" guys in a multiplayer session.

Since the time would be 04:00 here in Denmark, when the MP sessions starts, i would like to hear for how long the MP sessions last, so i perhaps could join one in the morning (Danish time).

hi all, i have considered multiplaying, but is there any "new guy" scenarios being run for new multiplayers?

I have seen some of the multiplayer videos on youtube, and would lke some more experinece, before i join the "Top Gun" guys in a multiplayer session.

Well there are new guys who attend TGIF (just one multiplayer event each week) and they seem to do fine.

Just be up front and tell everybody "I'm a new guy" or whatever and they will give you a less demanding role and try to help you / answer questions as you go.

Sometimes it can get "busy" and asking "How do I do this?" as the wave of enemy armour turns up can sometimes be answered fairly abruptly.

TGIF tends to use M1, Leo 2, CR2 or T-72 on one side or the other so as long as you have done some of the tutorials on a vehicle you should be able to get a ride by picking the vehicle type you are most familiar with regardless of which side its on.

Since the time would be 04:00 here in Denmark, when the MP sessions starts, i would like to hear for how long the MP sessions last, so i perhaps could join one in the morning (Danish time).

TGIF is just one MP session.

Not all MPs sessions happen at TGIF time (your 0400 local)

BG ANZAC does its stuff mainly at 0800 GMT on Thursdays.

UK Armour has its sessions at 2000 GMT on Sundays and Wednesdays (IIRC).

The UK Armour Soviet spin off has theirs at 2000 GMT on Monday night.

The Canadians have theirs at 2100 "local" on Wednesday night.

The Europeans usually run someting at 1900 GMT of a Saturday, when they conduct something.

Ideally people use the results of a recent poll to maximise attendance at new "one off" activities (displayed here):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=17110

I doubt very much if TGIF will ever move as it is a good time for people local to it and its become a bit of an institution.

Similarly other Virtual Units pick times that best suit (or at least are "least worse" for) their members.

Its basically a case of looking in this area of the forum for invitations when they are posted or looking at the Calendar. **

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/calendar.php

** A feature markedly under used by event organisers IMHO. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

AFAIK, this Friday we are taking a break from the current campaign. It would be an ideal time to jump in and get your feet wet. I imagine we'll just be playing a random scenario, so no pressure. And if you like, you can just join as an observer, or jump in my platoon. I'd be glad to have you along. :)

Just show up early so we can test your connection and set up a whisper list if needed. Or we could run a small, private scenario before (or after) TGIF. It's entirely up to you.

thanks for the answers everyone.

I might try to "Sign up" this weekend, ive done 60% of all the tutorials.

My favorite vehicle is the Leo 2A5, and the CV90, ive done the gunnery tut, and on the leo i have several times had a hit propability of 90-100% and on the CV90 60-80%

My internet connection is a 30/30 fiber, and have a pretty high end PC:

Intel i7 4.0 ghz quadcore, nvidia 560gtx, 24gb ram, windows 7 64, and for gaming i use a logitech joystick and logitech g13, and a logitech g930 headset

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I thought I would tag this question here since its a new driver thread rather than start a new one.

I am not sure if I can make the start of the session tonight but may be able to be online later, might have a wife / family thing to do. Is it ok to join in later and just spectate? Or do we have to be there right from the start?

Thanks

Tracer

You cannot currently join a game in progress.

Although, you could listen in on TS.

Thanks for the info, sadly it looks like I'll have to wait till next week to get a game in. I'll keep going with the offline practice in the meantime.

Tracer

Hey Guys,

I was able to make the Friday night mission tonight after all. I commanded the 2nd platoon Bravo Co under Gibson. I had a great time even though I didn't fire a shot in anger. For a first mission it was good just following orders, following my line of advance, watching the map, watching the area around me, trying to round up my platoon of AI tanks, full time job. I think over all I did pretty well. I broke my platoon up into 2 sections of 2 tanks each, with one element forward as a fighting element and one in reserve close behind the other. It worked out well till I got near the river. Sorry for losing my lead tank at the bridge Gibson, I wish we could have just crossed the bridge as per plan, instead of taking so much time to transition to the railway bridge to the NW. But I guess just like on the real battlefield you have to adapt.

One issue I did have though is that when I went from the map view to my tank commanders view I had to first press F6 then F7, if I just pressed F7 the screen would do nothing, stay on the map view. I tried this after the session and it worked as it should. I could go back and forth between the map and TC's position directly, F5 -> f7. Someone jumped in as my gunner near the end which I thought was totally cool, but when I checked the map, he had to leave for me to go back to the TC position, has anyone else noticed this behaviour before?

Another question I have is regarding comms, should I have been using call signs instead of names, for example, "2, 2 bravo at point delta over"? Rather than "Gibson this is tracer I'm at point delta.

I'll have to start booking time away from the wife Friday nights now, I'll definitely be back for more. Thanks all

Tracer

Another question I have is regarding comms, should I have been using call signs instead of names, for example, "2, 2 bravo at point delta over"? Rather than "Gibson this is tracer I'm at point delta.

I'll have to start booking time away from the wife Friday nights now, I'll definitely be back for more. Thanks all

Tracer

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't worry about the bridge, that's just a "sh*t happens" moment. We adapted and worked through it (might have been different if it was the only crossing).

I used your name because I knew you were new and I wanted to make sure I was talking to you and didn't want to have the situation where I'm using your callsign but you aren't answering because you don't know its you.

Now that I know you are OK with callsigns, I'll use 2B or whatever. :)

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't worry about the bridge, that's just a "sh*t happens" moment. We adapted and worked through it (might have been different if it was the only crossing).

I used your name because I knew you were new and I wanted to make sure I was talking to you and didn't want to have the situation where I'm using your callsign but you aren't answering because you don't know its you.

Now that I know you are OK with callsigns, I'll use 2B or whatever. :)

Thanks for that. I'm actually ex military so using unit call signs is second nature. I look forward to running with you again.

Time to crack open a VB : )

Tracer

Tracer,

Glad to see that you made the TGIF and had a good time. I missed: five straight days of computer simulation training here was enough for one week! More next week but I'll probably make TGIF on Friday. With a military background I'm sure that you'll soon get the hang of SB and fit right in! :thumbup:

Tracer:

Glad you played with us last night. I have made the TGIF a regular event since I started playing last year and I have played the other events as well. Two weeks ago, I participated in the Long Night of Tanks. Over ten hours online! Last night was fun. Lost my only tank on B Company's advance from the south but I was given another and continued on into Kursk. I had two kills but found out from the AAR that one of them was the Red Teams ARV. The experienced players have given me advice and will with you as well.

Connaugh

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I bought SB a year ago and played only offline. But I heard 3.0 will be coming soon, so I want to play multi before it comes.

Then there are questions.

1.When do you guys play?

2.Since I'm Japanese, I'm not good at English(listening is ok, speaking is terrible...:() is that ok?

3.Is there anything should know before playing mulit?

Thanks.

Hello. I bought SB a year ago and played only offline. But I heard 3.0 will be coming soon, so I want to play multi before it comes.

Then there are questions.

1.When do you guys play?

2.Since I'm Japanese, I'm not good at English(listening is ok, speaking is terrible...:() is that ok?

3.Is there anything should know before playing mulit?

Thanks.

Well hopefully your English reading is OK or this may become a farce.

To answer your questions:

1. The main scheduled multi player session in "TGIF" - US centric so for you its actually on a Saturday.

Time:

Go here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130504T02

and look up Tokyo (1100 on Saturday).

2. May cause issues as orders and feedback tend to be given in English.

3. Well you need to:

a. Configure your Router

b. Get a copy of TeamSpeak (Free)

c. Preferably have a headset so you can actually talk.

STRONGLY suggest you turn up 30 mins early to your first session so that one of us can make sure your setup actually works. :)

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I will be trying my first online SBProPE session tonight at the Friday Night Game. Huzzahhhh!:biggrin:

I will attempt to have my port-forwarding sh*t squared away in advance.

I currently am moderately competent at switchology for the M1A1 and Leo2A4 (and, by extension, I suppose, for the Leo2A5) -- but no other vehicles. (Tactical acumen....ehhh, not so much.) Is it safe to assume that one of these vehicles will be available to me, or should I take a crash course in one or more other vehicles?

Also, I am trying, as hard as my feeble brain will allow, to figure out the starting time. I live in the US Eastern time zone, where daylight savings time is in effect. The posted start time -- 9:00 (US) CST (not central daylight savings time) -- would be 11:00 Eastern Daylight Savings Time, correct? That is what the countdown timer on the SB.com online play page shows. Just want to confirm that we are starting at 11:00 EDST, not 10:00 EDST.

Thanks in advance.

-- Marc

If you're in the Eastern Daylight Savings Time zone, you're with me. I'm about three hours north of the New York border. We start at 10:00 PM, so I'd recommend joining Teamspeak by no later than 9:30 PM to check your settings.

"TGIF is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get!" Tanks of some sort, plus other vehicles. Can't assume that either the M1 or Leo will definitely be on tap, but there is a fair probability.

That said, I can't make the game tonight! Have a great time! :biggrin:

If you're in the Eastern Daylight Savings Time zone, you're with me. I'm about three hours north of the New York border. We start at 10:00 PM, so I'd recommend joining Teamspeak by no later than 9:30 PM to check your settings.

"TGIF is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get!" Tanks of some sort, plus other vehicles. Can't assume that either the M1 or Leo will definitely be on tap, but there is a fair probability.

That said, I can't make the game tonight! Have a great time! :biggrin:

Thanks. For some reason, I suspected the start time would be 10PM local time, not 11.

Well, hopefully we'll meet online at a future date.

How, to figure out the starting time. I live in the US Eastern time zone, where daylight savings time is in effect. The posted start time -- 9:00 (US) CST (not central daylight savings time) -- would be 11:00 Eastern Daylight Savings Time, correct? That is what the countdown timer on the SB.com online play page shows. Just want to confirm that we are starting at 11:00 EDST, not 10:00 EDST.

Thanks in advance.

-- Marc

Why don't you just look at the link I put in Post #91 and look for a town near you - That's why its there.

Good luck MDF.

You can learn a lot from watching some of the more experienced players In action

Try not to get target fixated. And depending on the mission remember shoot and Scoot.

Very difficult to get target-fixated when you're stuck between two trees.:redface:

But I know what you mean. I've been trying to get up to speed using the "Camp Hornfelt" scenarios. After about fifteen failed attempts of the "Conduct a Tactical Movement" mission, I finally achieved a "GO" last night. It was an ugly win: one destroyed vehicle and two mobility kills short of the objective (not enough time to repair the road wheels before mission duration ended). Only one undamaged vehicle able to reach the objective -- after a liberal application of ICM on likely (read: "previously encountered during numerous prior playthroughs") enemy BPs.

That said, I learned during these missions, as well as "Tanks," not to linger on a single target, especially when you temporarily lose LOS and wait for it to appear.