two screen layout

desertowl

nope. as far as I know its the only way. and it does work online I have tried it. It just takes up two spots on the server. These is no way to have 'true' duel screen, but if all your after is the map on the extra screen it works, and if your the host its works even better.

ps, sorry to all none SBG members but the post the link above is for is in a private area. If you want more info on this pm me and i'll forward you the info.

• Members

No. Map rendering can be almost as demanding as 3D rendering, so at the very least you'd need two graphics cards per computer, which in turn would mean that we'd need to implement an option to take advantage of two available graphics cards (other than in SLI/Crossfire configuration, which only helps with the rendering of contiguous scenes).

Let me guess: Start up SB twice on the same computer in windowed mode, join the session twice, select the commander's position for the "playable" vehicle, choose another position in the same vehicle for your "mapping" screen, start SB, and load a blank control key for your "mapping" screen?

Just be sure to backup your original control configuration.

rgr that Tacbat.simple ah :debile2: only that I don't mount up the client that will be used for the map. It doesn't need a vehicle.

...Plus in windowed mode you don't need to map a key, the mouse pointer moves freely across both screens. This helps a S##t load when your trying to test a new mission.

• Members
really? rendering the map is that demanding? I thought it should be an easy task...

It depends how dense the road network is on a map (or, more precisely, how many road vertices the map scene has). Each road segment is treated as two triangles since DirectX 8.1; before you could simply use 2D line draw functions but they are no longer available in the later DirectX versions. So, a map with many curvy roads can easily contribute 40,000 to 80,000 triangles. That's manageable, but no trivial amount either.

rgr that Tacbat.simple ah :debile2: only that I don't mount up the client that will be used for the map. It doesn't need a vehicle.

...Plus in windowed mode you don't need to map a key, the mouse pointer moves freely across both screens. This helps a S##t load when your trying to test a new mission.

Sweet idea! Never though about using a dual monitor setup till I saw this thread. Got to give you credit, you guys are always thinking!