"Choppy" turret

Ghost

I don't really know how to explain this bug but i'll try.

Under certain circumstances the turret moves in a "choppy" fasion (left to right or vice versa)

I have noticed it before, but i guess i never percieved it as a possible bug, but when playing the Gun runner sce yestarday (Offline) it became very annoying since the sce requires you to slew the turret very often and very fast from one side to the other while you'r moving.

This only appears to be happening when you are moving the turret at full speed in either direction and then move your joystick fast to the oposite direction, you hear the turret brake, then the turret starts moving to the opposite direction and almost instantly it starts to what i would call "lag" behind" and then it makes a small jump, lags and jumps again untill you stop doing input with your joystick, i could also replicate this behaviour with the mouse.

Both of the instances above only happen when you make a fast directional change with the stick or mouse (going from full left to full right, or vice versa) It doesn't happen if you do it with a slower movement.

I'm gonna do some more investigation on this matter and also try and capture a video of it.

I first thought this was a Joystick issue but since i can replicate it with the mouse i guess it's something else.

It's not a FPS issue either, my FPS are almost constantly maxed out at 62.5 dropping sometimes to 55 and only in very extreme scenarios it drops below 40.

Running the game at 1680x1050, 8x FSAA and 16x AF

System is as follows

AMD X2 6000+

4096 MB Ram

Asus Geforce 8800 GTX Graphics card

RAID 0 HD configuration

Let me know if you need more detailed specs.

Hmm sounds like an oscillation? Not sure about turrets and stabilisation systems, but this sort of thing would be considered typical of the response of many systems to an abrupt step input.

Does it die down if the turret is allowed to continue rotating in the new direction?

Thanks for your replies, but i'm still a little lost, Is this a "feature" or a bug?

Sorry but i don't know a lot about turret stabilization systems

Btw Ssnake, just noticed a typo in your sig "...do do you a favor..." :-)

• Members
Thanks for your replies, but i'm still a little lost, Is this a "feature" or a bug?

Sorry but i don't know a lot about turret stabilization systems

It's not a feature. With the current version 2.388 I could not replicate the stutter, which can be interpreted in several ways - that we somehow fixed it while working on something else (which is quite possible since we made a number of adjustments to the stabilization model recently), or that it won't occur on all computers. If you want to do me a favor, test it yourself as soon as we release a new version to see if it is gone. If not, we'll have to look for a different source of the trouble.

Thanks for the reply Ssnake, all is clear now...

As for tacbat and hedgehog, you guys crack me up... :-D

Btw tacbat have you tried searching "tacbat" on google and google pictures, Your da' man according to google since they put you on top of each search :-)

As for tacbat and hedgehog, you guys crack me up... :-D

Hedge is a good sport, and it's a lot of fun not worrying about having to be "politically correct" with him!

Btw tacbat have you tried searching "tacbat" on google and google pictures, Your da' man according to google since they put you on top of each search :-)

That's just a sad commentary on the state of today's internet.