Desert M1A1

Captain_Colossus

hello,

Excellent skin :razz: WIP Desert M1A2 skin. I'm looking for a

set of markings .psd layer if you can assist?

1024 x 1024 overlay without having to cut to size individual

markings & paste into place. I noted (idea) on your skin some dirt

I could apply as a layer other than that hopefully something

worth while for target practice when complete :lol:

Very Big T.Y in advance :wink:

Regards

David

Thanks for the comments, though I'm not sure it's very practical to have a template for dirt layers. Each skin is different and mixes colors differently, and so on. I often recycle some details which are unessecary to create from scratch over and over such as the glass for vision blocks, but that's so much different than the way weathering or dirt effects would interact with individual skins.

hello,

quote "I'm not sure it's very practical to have a template for dirt layers." As a noobie to SB, I've still got to learn from the Pros ;) I've created a dirty skin copied as a .jpeg uploaded to the forum (awaiting approval) as I've had issues with the temp' licence SB I'm unable at present to create screen shots of my WIP, by the time I resolve the problem my licence will be up anyway, so I hope with approval of the Mods the .jpeg will be sufficient for time being? If I'm way off the mark & dirt doesn't work with the sim skins well at least I've tried :bigsmile: I'll continue my learning curve on SB until I get around to purchasing the Dongle etc..

Regards

David

I should say upfront that I'm no artist. Dejawolf is an artist. I'm not even very good with Photoshop or other editing software, I probably make use of only about 15 percent of the features, I simply don't know how to use most of them. If you've seen earlier skins I've attempted, they were not good at all.

I've come across tricks and shortcuts more by mistake and refining them over and over. Dirt layers are a matter of preference, and I don't expect to end up with a result that I set out to do, often it changes through the process. What looks OK in Photoshop may look not so good in the program in the environment. One comment I can make is to be careful not to have over saturated colors, this can yield a cartoonish look.

hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Lt (Sean) please feel free to upload the .jpeg images many thanks for your screen shots very much appreciated :P I used .jpeg as these are a WIP & not yet converted to 'dd' as per sim default. I only wanted to share a WIP mod of the skin. As I've not got an actual sim/licence as yet (temporary licence ran out today) I'm using the templates as practice. The skin is still very much a WIP as I now have a image I can study & add + subtract - what I see. Then again maybe a battle weary tank 'optional' mod is not to everyones liking :icon_frown: ? I've got photo's from my Service plus access to files, I'm using for reference the default skins created by the Pro's from SB. I'm adding the layers to the M1A1cammo version as I think these would look more effective on multi cammo.

T.Y for your support appreciated ;-)

Regards

David

Ps. I'm using Adobe PhotoShop CS-6 Extended I did have Corel PhotoShop X3 Pro previously still have loads of swatches & other plug-ins compatibles with both to share.

hello,

I can now see from the screen shots where I'm working from now. Still requires a few tweaks. I exchanged the number of extra layers to the multi pattern version IMO it does add some dirt effect far better than the Desert scheme (I now prefer the Desert scheme cleaner anyway) as with skinning it's trial & error. Still looking for markings layers. My temporary licence finished today & as I have had only time to connect/set up the sim & test I've had little time since to actually play such, hence unable to set up my own screen shots etc.. Nevermind I'll continue with my attempts at the templates for now, great learning curve. Full credits to the template creator artist which will be added to any finished modifications.

Regards

David

Still looking for markings layers.

What markings do you need? If you have MS Word, Photopshop will integrate MS Word's font types, so it's just a matter of selecting the Text paintbrush and typing alphanumeric characters into the skin. Another option is to look for and download decal sets for model kits off the 'net somewhere, then either trace them out as a separate layer or overlay them onto the skin. Finally, the polygon tool is another way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain_Colossus,

Can I use your unmarked desert M1 as a basis for another skin? I am would like to make the rustbucket seen in the link below and your desert skin is the closest color match.

Thanks.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/M1-A1_Abrams_1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/M1-A1_Abrams_Heck.jpg

Thanks for the permission.

Yours is actually just as easy to work with, and the color is better vs. the stock skin. I wanted to circumvent the need to recolor the stock one myself before I made it look like it was sitting glacis deep in a saltwater bath for a month.

Will post on a new thread when there is progress. Thanks again!