Update news?

oscar19681

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, I'm back, and mostly done with sorting the stuff that piled up on my desk while I was away (still some paperwork to do though - gah! I'm pushing papers!)

Anyway, the situation is this:

1. We need about ten more days in the most likely scenario before we can freeze the code (to the extent that more bugfixing and optimization will continue after that).
    The "most likely scenario" can be defined as the SNAFU development where things go unexpectedly wrong, but in a recoverable way.
  2. In a distinctly less likely scenario, one extra week would be required. This involves things going haywire at the last minute in a real bad way that cannot be foreseen.
    Beyond that unlikely case are scenarios involving an alien invasion, a zombie apocalypse, a sudden nova flare of the sun, Great Cthulhu rising from R'lyeh, or a combination of these or other events with a similar likelihood.
    In other words, come hell or high water, end of April is the ultimate deadline after which whatever isn't done, won't make it into the release, period. Yes, we could make the cut earlier, but only at the cost of eye candy that you don't want to miss.
  3. As soon as we have a code freeze, I'll start producing screenshots and will soon after start posting them (and other news). I need to create a bit of a buffer to cover times where I may not have the time to do so (ITEC is approaching fast, and somewhat colliding with the production plan; still manageable it appears, but we can't really avoid it in any case).
  4. I don't think that we'll have new DVDs ready for the release day, but make this a purely digital release instead - initially. The alternative would be to delay the release by two weeks or so to allow for production time, and I think that literally everybody wants it at fast as possible - we want to have it out of the way, you want to play it as soon as possible, so uploading the stuff to the server is the way to go.
    Fortunately you all have your CodeMeter sticks already, so sending out new licenses shouldn't be a big deal (you know the drill from the 2.5 and 2.6 upgrades already). The collectors among you need not worry, new DVDs will be made. However, as the disc production costs money and these are long-selling items, 3.0 is probably not a perfect choice. We try to deliver the best possible product, but I don't think we ever had a major release without the need for a patch afterwards. So DVDs will be made once that we have fixed the big items that manage to stay under the radar of our beta test team, and then there will be a free update for everybody, of course.
    It's nothing new, really. We handled it this way with 2.6, and also with version 2.5 if I remember it correctly.

I hope that this overview gives you a good idea about what will happen (and when) in the coming weeks.

Beyond that unlikely case are scenarios involving an alien invasion, a zombie apocalypse, a sudden nova flare of the sun, Great Cthulhu rising from R'lyeh, or a combination of these or other events with a similar likelihood.

Don't tempt the fate...!

*shivers*

• Members

Apparently there have been some who misread my last message (above). When I write "code freeze" that means the start of the beta test, after which there's still the need to fix bugs and make last minute arrangements. It's just that this coincides with me starting to tell you (the public) about the new features until we're ready to release the thing (or until I run out of news to tell, whichever happens faster).

Under no circumstance will SB Pro PE 3.0 be released before June.

We're still aiming for the first week of June, but as it was in previous years, maturity of code trumps punctuality. If the beta testers need a week more, it'll take a week more.

We're still aiming for the first week of June, but as it was in previous years, maturity of code trumps punctuality. If the beta testers need a week more, it'll take a week more.

Any chance of not before the 9th so the LNoT planned for the 8th isn't a mess with people having different versions of SB Pro PE or complaining that the "first" MP post release doesn't have all the nice new shiny toys in it? :)

Okay, I'm back, and mostly done with sorting the stuff that piled up on my desk while I was away (still some paperwork to do though - gah! I'm pushing papers!)

The Life of a Geschaftsfuhrer :biggrin:

I hope that this overview gives you a good idea about what will happen (and when) in the coming weeks.

Think its safe to say at this exact moment, we know what Ssnake knows.

(More or less)

Any chance of not before the 9th so the LNoT planned for the 8th isn't a mess with people having different versions of SB Pro PE or complaining that the "first" MP post release doesn't have all the nice new shiny toys in it? :)

Hmm, I'd say make it the last "Huzzah!" of version 2.654.

And Ssnake, either you need more Beta testers, :ANI_DI:

or your not pushing them hard enough :bangin:

:biggrin:

That's an optimistic view (not implying that it's a bad virtue).

A pragmatist may look at this as requiring more time to test, more things that can break, more things that require fixing... you get the idea.

I hope they can keep the promised scheduled release date because patience is not the strong suite of some people around here.

That's an optimistic view (not implying that it's a bad virtue).

A pragmatist may look at this as requiring more time to test, more things that can break, more things that require fixing... you get the idea.

I hope they can keep the promised scheduled release date because patience is not the strong suite of some people around here.

Bad things is, that esim is keeping slow and lazy beta testers like me :-P

How about letting a few senior members of the SB community purchase the update at a Slight discount. And they can help with the beta testing.

Or let people put there name forward and pick a few at random.

On the condition they report bugs and issues.

Guess what, that's what we're doing. :)

...except that they don't have to pay for supporting us. I'm greedy, yes, but not that bad.

Excellent news.

Good luck with the beta testing Guy's

Like many others have stated i would rather wait a little while longer and get a less Troublesome finished product.

Apparently there have been some who misread my last message. Under no circumstance will SB Pro PE 3.0 be released before June.

No illusions here Chief, I'm a machinist and I know all about deadlines. I'm just happy that the upgrade is no longer in the alpha stage and we - the consuming public - will soon be able to purchase the much anticipated upgrade. This will probably be the biggest improvement to the sim since I first purchased Pro PE in 2007.

I can only hope that all the Leopard models have caught up to the Abrams models in visual complexity.

I can only hope that all the Leopard models have caught up to the Abrams models in visual complexity.

In order for the new physics model to work all models in the sim would have to be standardized to some degree. Ha.. I can't frakin wait. Give me shadows.