Danish mechanised infantry company TO&E c.1989

Panzer_Leader

Hi Guys

I'm beginning development of a new late Cold War scenario (potentially series of scenarios) focused on a Danish mechanised infantry battalion versus Soviet Airborne and Naval Infantry forces.

A source I'm using for the Danish mechanised infantry battalion of 1989 (I'll add a link to it later) states its line companies have 11x M113 APC but doesn't clarify the platoon organisation. With 11x APCs my working assumption is three platoons of 3x APCs plus a company HQ section of 2x APC but it's just a best guess. Does anyone know how Danish mechanised infantry companies were organised circa 1989?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Guys

I'm beginning development of a new late Cold War scenario (potentially series of scenarios) focused on a Danish mechanised infantry battalion versus Soviet Airborne and Naval Infantry forces.

A source I'm using for the Danish mechanised infantry battalion of 1989 (I'll add a link to it later) states its line companies have 11x M113 APC but doesn't clarify the platoon organisation. With 11x APCs my working assumption is three platoons of 3x APCs plus a company HQ section of 2x APC but it's just a best guess. Does anyone know how Danish mechanised infantry companies were organised circa 1989?

Thanks for your help :)

hi, i was a Danish MECHINF/Panzer Grenadier a few years back, so maybe i can help you a bit and did tour in Iraq.

The organisation havent changed that much, since the late 80´s

I remember the organisation as this:

Platoon:

1 x M113 per squad 8-12 INF

1 x M113 for the PL (Platoon leader), allthough he and the 2nd in command often ride with each their squad.

Several times in Iraq, we split our squads into two teams:

2 squads in two M113 each (total of four), and the last squad in two GD 270, moving x meters infront of the platoon.

COY:

The CO have his own M577 (M113 Command version), and in the old days their was a protection/support squad attached to the CO vehicle, the protection/support squad is no longer there.

The COY XO usually ride with the one of the PL´s, back in the 80´s he probally had his own M113

"...focused on a Danish mechanised infantry battalion versus Soviet Airborne and Naval Infantry forces"

I have been told, by "the old foxes", that the armys job was to fight regular battles inland, and to support NATO forces in Northern Germany.

The defence of the waterways, harbours and airfields was left to the Navy and National Guard (Hjemmeværnet).

The National Guard was also highly trained in fighting airborne attacks and lay ambushes.

Before i joined the Army i was in the National Guard, and we could deploy/be ready within 45 minutes to 1½ hour, that was infact a Goverment demand to every National Guard unit across Denmark.

Sidenote:

The National Guard was not allowed to surrender in the first 48 - 72 hours, no matter who gave the surrender order: The Queen, the General, the Government.

• 2 months later...

Thanks bmbdk. My late Cold War (1991) scenario featuring Danes versus Soviet airborne forces is about 80% complete (there's some more information on what I'm developing here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19247) and I've chosen a mechanised infantry company of 2nd Battalion, Danish Life Regiment (II/DLR), 1st Zealand Brigade as the Danish unit. A couple of questions for you and the other Danes on the forum, or anyone else who knows:

1. How are companies within Danish mechanised infantry battalions numbered? Is it numeric, i.e. 1 or 1st company, or alphabetic, i.e. A company?
    EDIT: OK, I think I've worked out from various online sources that it's 1st Company, 2nd Company etc.
  2. Are the tank companies within the Cold War mechanised infantry battalions called companies or squadrons? Similarly, are the platoons called platoons or troops? I've seen some references to squadron / platoon but not enough to be certain.
    EDIT: Using a number of sources it looks like tank companies in armoured and mechanised infantry battalions are called squadrons. Interestingly, these squadrons comprise platoons (Danish: deling) rather than troops. It also looks as though Danish mechanised infantry units with tracked vechicles (M113 and CV9035) are designated 'armoured infantry'. Mechanised infantry are those using the wheeled but armoured Piranha family and motorised are those in trucks.

This information will help me ensure I draft the briefing using the appropriate terminology.

Thanks again :)

Edited by Panzer_Leader
Added interim answers to my own questions.