Consolation prize No. 2

Ssnake

• Members

Mounting and dismounting of infantry squads can now be scripted.

Waypoints and routes have a property "Dismount, if...", waypoints also have a property "mount, if...". The difference between the two is that squads, dismounted on a waypoint, will adopt the path chain(s) that may originate from that waypoint. On routes, they will be left behind.

Helicopters will do a "forced" landing to unload and load troops. (Oops! Did I just confirm that helicopters can now be scripted to land? Yes, they can).

A consequence of all this is that infantry will now rarely dismount automatically anymore (basically only if the vehicle is being immobilized). But at least there is now clarity about when they do and when they don't. Things weren't quite as clear as we wished them to be in past versions.

Sounds: Of course there are new sounds though the change isn't as radical as it was in some of the previous upgrades. The last big project that Al Delaney completed was the integration of the MILES sound system (which however will not make it into this PE release, but the one following - since all the sounds need to be redone to profit from the options that MILES offers ... consider this an announcement for the PE version to be released in 2014/15). Nevertheless, there it least a volume slider in the options menu now, some of you were asking for it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last big project that Al Delaney completed was the integration of the MILES sound system (which however will not make it into this PE release, but the one following - since all the sounds need to be redone to profit from the options that MILES offers ... consider this an announcement for the PE version to be released in 2014/15).

So Al's name will appear in the credits for a while yet then. :)

Al needs to be immortalized in the form of an easter egg. Like, "Al was here" graffiti on a building or perhaps something more sublime that no one notices even if they look at it everyday (like how I hid my name on this forum).

Al needs to be immortalized in the form of an easter egg. Like, "Al was here" graffiti on a building or perhaps something more sublime that no one notices even if they look at it everyday (like how I hid my name on this forum).

What? your name is Administrator?

• Members
So "Dismount if.." and "mount if..." options will not be available in execution phase?

Call us crazy - but we still believe that working with conditions and events and all under the pressures of a real-time environment with virtual bullets whizzing above your head will overwhelm just any user. There are no "embark if..." options during the execution phase, why should there be "mount, if..:" or "dismount, if..." orders?

Call us crazy - but we still believe that working with conditions and events and all under the pressures of a real-time environment with virtual bullets whizzing above your head will overwhelm just any user. There are no "embark if..." options during the execution phase, why should there be "mount, if..:" or "dismount, if..." orders?

Ok, I asked just for clarification- need to explain details for russian-speaking FSU community

• Members

Aren't there some wireless carrier commercials..

There's already a monument to him available to mission (map?) builders. One to Nils, too. Skins are in the textures folder.

A consequence of all this is that infantry will now rarely dismount automatically anymore (basically only if the vehicle is being immobilized).

I think everyone should take special note of the "consequence." While additional control is welcome, if I understand correctly that troops will no longer automatically dismount at a BP, we must be prepared for the fact that all existing scenerios that rely on that behavior will be broken. Just sayin.

I might be the odd one out, but I actually miss conditions in the executing phase. When setting up battle positions, I usually create two or more positions with a retreat-route from each one leading to the other - routes that will be activated two minutes after the unit reaches the BP. (safeguard against artillery) It's always been a minor annoyance that I couldn't do this once the planning phase was over (more often than not, I need to set up BPs in areas I haven't planned any)

I suspect I'd get the same feeling with dismounted infantry. Maybe "mounted/dismounted" could be added to the right-click menu as separate options during the executing phase, in the same way "tactics" and "spacing" are? That way, players can create a route during the executing phase, right click on the route, select "dismount" as an option, and infantry will dismount and advance ahead of the vehicles once a unit reaches that route?

Anyway, I certainly welcome the news that dismounting can now be scripted!

Nice perspectives outlined in this and the other thread. However, I admit what I really want to see is two screenshots or so of the landscape, woods and grassland, in daylight, and at dawn/sunset.

Well perhaps the reason for the delay is the graphics engine that would give you those landscapes that you want screenshots of?

Who knows.

• Moderators

I think everyone should take special note of the "consequence." While additional control is welcome, if I understand correctly that troops will no longer automatically dismount at a BP, we must be prepared for the fact that all existing scenerios that rely on that behavior will be broken. Just sayin.

It is not in my place to comment about the upgrade but, in regards to this comment...

We went through great lengths to make sure old scenarios are not broken. Basically, when you load an old scenario in the new version it will add the appropriate troop orders to make them behave the same as the old scenario intended. So for the most part, old scenarios *should* perform the same way.

What? your name is Administrator?

It's written in morse code. There's a couple of other little hidden items on the forum too, but they are not as well disguised as my name.

There's already a monument to him available to mission (map?) builders. One to Nils, too. Skins are in the textures folder.

Excellent. What's happens if you shoot them?

It is not in my place to comment about the upgrade but, in regards to this comment...

We went through great lengths to make sure old scenarios are not broken. Basically, when you load an old scenario in the new version it will add the appropriate troop orders to make them behave the same as the old scenario intended. So for the most part, old scenarios *should* perform the same way.

Thats just great! :clap: