Poll: How many vehicles do you play?

Scrapper_511

How many vehicles do you actually play on a regular basis?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How many vehicles do you actually play on a regular basis?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four or more

A worthwhile question.

The real issue with crewability is the fact that you can choose a target and shoot, vs. watching the AI struggle at times. :D

It's not really about "fully modeled systems" to me, either. The simple M113 is a perfect example of getting functionality that imerses play, but isn't a whiz-bang system in all detail. (Granted, the track is pretty damn simple, but you see what I mean...)

My greatest interest usually lies in US/NATO vs. Warsaw Pact forces in theoretical WW3 scenarios. Some more modern ones are awesome too. But for any of those, what I want most is for both sides to be able to have a crewable MBT, IVF/APC and a functional (not necessarily crewable) CS/CSS selection of ENG, Arty, recovery, and logistics. The later can be abstracted, too. i.e. I don't need country accurate fuelers or ammo trucks, I'll settle for placeholders.

The weak link at this time is the USSR IFV. If we get a BMP, we "even up" the crewable platforms for each side. I'd also run the Marder as a close second, with the availabilty of DE equipment too.

I find myself usually piloting every vehicle in the mission at one point or another. This of course leads to timed missions being a bit difficult to complete with what I would have as acceptable losses. Even the vehicles with no crewable positions will have me 'driving' them around a bit from the observer's position. I really do enjoy being able to jump into any vehicle and 'pilot' it or it's accessories from the various positions. Even with the black-out interiors, I am glad to have it to where it is '3-D'. One thing that amuses me is the M1025 HMMWV that has veiwable interior from the driver's position, but not from gunner's position. Still, I'd rather have it to where I can look around than not. I even find myself in the driver's position from time to time if I don't like how the AI driver is performing. Which is why I really like the Leo 2E, Leo 2S and Centauro. Frankly, the 3-D interiors really make the sim feel more like a sim. I get the sense of feeling cramped and uncomfortable in the Bradleys. Or being able to keep tabs on my CV90-35's surroundings or 'health' with the multifunction display unit. Since this makes the units more enjoyable, I of course gravitate more toward piloting vehicles with 3-D interiors than those without. Learning where everything is so I can turn to 'use' it instead of always using the quick keys. Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent. Yes, I definitely use more than 4 vehicles.

A worthwhile question.

The real issue with crewability is the fact that you can choose a target and shoot, vs. watching the AI struggle at times. :D

It's not really about "fully modeled systems" to me, either. The simple M113 is a perfect example of getting functionality that imerses play, but isn't a whiz-bang system in all detail. (Granted, the track is pretty damn simple, but you see what I mean...)

My greatest interest usually lies in US/NATO vs. Warsaw Pact forces in theoretical WW3 scenarios. Some more modern ones are awesome too. But for any of those, what I want most is for both sides to be able to have a crewable MBT, IVF/APC and a functional (not necessarily crewable) CS/CSS selection of ENG, Arty, recovery, and logistics. The later can be abstracted, too. i.e. I don't need country accurate fuelers or ammo trucks, I'll settle for placeholders.

The weak link at this time is the USSR IFV. If we get a BMP, we "even up" the crewable platforms for each side. I'd also run the Marder as a close second, with the availabilty of DE equipment too.

As a member of soviet VU i would have to agree with your comments about the lack

Of a playable IFV. We use the BMP/ BTR. If used properly as a battle taxi its not to bad.

But there has been times the lack of a playable BMP has really annoying in terms of not

Been able say to take out a single PC straight in front of it.

Edited by Marko

Add to that the AI BMP gunners' dislike of the superb 30mm autocannon! Even if in a well armoured western IFV, I would be concerned when the 30mm started knocking on my turret with ROF of 700 AP rounds a minute. Oh, and all that ammo is in single belt, not like in western IFVs where only some is ready to use and to get more, one must reload again and again...!

So BMP-2 it is!

I alternate between U.S., European and Soviet equipment quite regularly. It usually depends on what scenario I feel like playing. Whatever equipment is used in the scenario of my choosing will be what I'm driving that day.

So it could be M1A1 + Bradley, Leo1/2 + Marder/CV90 or T-72M1 + BMP/BRDM. Or anything else, really. Sometimes even a combination of those (as in the "Flank Attack" sce. where both Leos and Abrams are fighting, side by side). I also use the Lemur system mounted on the Piranha or Eagle regularly as it is featured in my own scenario, which I like to re-play from time to time.

For me, (and, I suspect, for a few others around here, as well) it's a bit like some uber-rich dude who owns 20 super cars. Does he drive each one every day? No...but he can if he wants to. :)

I don't find it to be a chore to learn a new FCS. I enjoy it so much it seems effortless. (NB: not "instantaneous"...it still takes time.) But that's me in a nutshell: Jack-of-all-trades...master of nothing. :biggrin:

I alternate between U.S., European and Soviet equipment quite regularly. It usually depends on what scenario I feel like playing. Whatever equipment is used in the scenario of my choosing will be what I'm driving that day.

So it could be M1A1 + Bradley, Leo1/2 + Marder/CV90 or T-72M1 + BMP/BRDM. Or anything else, really. Sometimes even a combination of those (as in the "Flank Attack" sce. where both Leos and Abrams are fighting, side by side). I also use the Lemur system mounted on the Piranha or Eagle regularly as it is featured in my own scenario, which I like to re-play from time to time.

For me, (and, I suspect, for a few others around here, as well) it's a bit like some uber-rich dude who owns 20 super cars. Does he drive each one every day? No...but he can if he wants to. :)

I don't find it to be a chore to learn a new FCS. I enjoy it so much it seems effortless. (NB: not "instantaneous"...it still takes time.) But that's me in a nutshell: Jack-of-all-trades...master of nothing. :biggrin:

This is the way I use SB too.

Wow, I'm really surprised the majority of you use 4 or more! While I welcome the addition of any vehicle (especially American, European, and Russian ones), they need not be playable or crewable. I am more than satisfied to have the playable combination of just the Abrams/Bradley. :biggrin:

I have tried every playable vehicle in the Sim.(and mastered None) LoL

I think its great to have the ability to compare and try the different weapons platforms.

For me its one of if not the best features of SB.

Personally i use the CR2. Pizarro. NZLAV. BTR. BRDM. T-72. and the M1/Bradley on occasion.

All are great vehicles and have the own strengths and weakness.

Edited by Marko

Add to that the AI BMP gunners' dislike of the superb 30mm autocannon! So BMP-2 it is!

Experience with the Markovski regiment leads me to believe that the AI BMP gunners dislike shooting at anything with anything :(