TOW missile model

desertowl

Is the TOW missile model takes water bodies under consideration?

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/12451-1/FM/3-22.32/chap4.htm;jsessionid=SrclLLLXRVJQ85lrGxtCFQrfpH32mzGncQt4nJWfpXnKc5PhGyhh!36248955

see section 4.1 for the ranges and behavior when missile is flying over large body of water.

another point is min. range - in reality scoring a hit at a distance less then 500m is almost impossible (though minimum declared distance is 200m), I think this is not the case in the game.

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/towlife.html

see T+2.00/500m min. effective range.

I don't think SB has any modeling for the guidance wires. The over-water rules are for the wires falling into the water and shorting. Similar rules are in real-life and include not shooting such that the wires fall onto live power lines or get snagged on awkward objects. I don't recall ever having seen a missile failure in SB due to the guidance wires failing.

It may be a factor for later, because on my Wish List for SB are fences and overhead power lines.

all the TOW missiles in SB are wire guided (2A and 2B models) and should be simulated as such.

both these models are still in production and in operational use by various armies around the world , including Israel and th US.

the 500m limitation is not related to wire guiding issue, but to SACLOS missile tracking limitation of the TOW weapon system.

Actually, I've noticed that it is very hard to get the infantry missile team to fire the TOW at close range. You can order them to fire but nothing happens. However, you may have a point with the M-2. At close range the TOW essentially becomes an unguided RPG.

well, I played a bit with the mission editor and ATGM's and here are my findings:

technical issues regarding TOW launch:

hitting a tree or passing it with the missile wire will cause launch failure.

at close ranges no launch will be possible (I don't know what's preventing the system from launching, however).

water bodies does not effect missile range.

there are no backblast effects on surrounding infantry.

tactical and damage models regarding ATGM's in general:

all the missiles I tried (including the TOW2A and 2B) except the javelin against western modern tanks proved highly inefficient, multiple hits resulting usually in minor damage or no damage at all.

ATGM teams seek cover inside houses automatically, while unable to launch from inside houses (except the javelin, which is equipped with soft launch capability and is indeed modeled as such in the game).

javelin missile proved to be a very potent weapon in the simulation. one team easily wiped a LEO2A5 platoon.

if you want to simulate effective ATGM capability, the javelin will be most felt, but it is very deadly. the rest of the missiles, however, will not pose the threat they are in real life -

take that under consideration when designing a mission with ATGM units involved.

A question for the developers - i think I saw it in other threads as well, is there a possibility to add a wrecked house model? houses that are brought down become wreckage, a very good hiding place for infantry and especially for snipers and ATGM teams (launching from a wrecked house is possible without soft launch capability), so a war torn village can be created, either before the scenario starts or in-game, when houses collapse and become rubble.