Wargame: AirLand Battle. Beta impressions.

[]_--__[]KITT

I bought it finally not wanting to miss the 25% sale if preordered for Wargame European Escalation owners.

And I love it.

I'm not very competitive players so I prefer to relax fighting the AI and AirLand battle now allows you to set any number of AI basically making each AI equivalent to human player. In European Escalation you basically can fight against a single AI and not able to co-op with AI team mate at all.

So now I can set an AI as my team mate and fight against another AI on the other team. This doesn't put me at advantage though as resources then are divided between me and the team mate AI. It does however lessen my micromanaging burden by having an autonomous AI as a sidekick.

The feel is still true to the previous Wargame title only now with planes all over the battlefield and more new less known units.

I highly recommend this game for both competitive players wanting to fight it against and with other human players or leisure players who want to relax by playing against the AI with or without AI team mates or with other human players.

Too bad the dynamic campaign won't be able to be played co-op with other human players though 1vs1 in dynamic campaign is possible.

This game imo is the definitive war game on PC and it is also the definitive and most comprehensive realistic rts game.

If you like tanks, jets, attack choppers then it's a must buy. it's fun watching those tiny units going about the battlefield :biggrin:. And what's best is that superior thinking and tactics do win the game so much so I don't get angry when defeated by a superior opponent. It is quite a thinking game actually, the kind of rt-strategy game that doesn't depend on how fast your fingers are(cough cough Starcraft 2, though I own that too but purely because it is a pop culture)

Ok that's all. I didn't want to create this thread but I don't want any of SB Pro PE players to be missing on this. The game doesn't receive much fanfare compared to say Company of heroes 2 though highly popular among fans.

http://images.vg247.com/current//2012/07/wargame_european_escalation-dlc2_05.jpg

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/222750/ss_4a744cef836f8bc6faf6663c619497017249b570.1920x1080.jpg?t=1367258946

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/wargame-airland-battle-uk-03.jpg

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Wargame-AirLand-Battle-Moves-Cold-War-Action-to-Scandinavia-2.jpg?1344864375

rsz_wargame_airland_battle-041.jpg

Each battle usually lasts 15-35 min

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

400 hours! :biggrin: That's madness.

The game is fun. Everything in AirLand battle isn't cast yet. There will be patches to alter gameplay. it is not even released yet.

Some people are complaining about the balance but the feel is already there. It still feels believable. Patches will make it better. :)

I'm enjoying Air Land battle too. Enjoyed European Escalation for some time too.

You have to remember that it's not a sim, but it is a fun real time strategy, with some semblence of realism thrown in here and there. I'm enjoying it, but can't wait for the dynamic campaign to come out for it.

Hi,

does it come with some kind of editor (like ArmA), where you can place units on the map just as you like to?

Jens

NO... you have points, you buy units and they move into the battle from your direction of point via your control zones.

No editor, and no setting up a big nice battlefield before hand.

What Magnum50 said is correct, but before you start a skirmish for example, you can select your units and place them in formations within the first control zones of the map. After the match starts, it's up to you to grab each formation and move them where you want, call in air cover, scout areas, etc.

So for example there is an area on the side of the map that no one possesses. If you get a command vehicle in there, then you can call in strike aircraft, or tanks which will come in from that zone, saving fuel and time as they move to the front lines.

Pretty fun in my opinion.

Talking about planes, a lot of times I prefer them to come from other zone which is safer. Judging where the planes may come from sometimes is difficult because the distances may seem equal from 2 entering zones.

I had lost a battle because I misjudged where my planes were entering the battlefield from.

• 7 months later...