When using GAS, should I select reticle and ammo type?

Rangoon

In the tutorial for GAS in the M1, it explains how to select the proper reticle for Sabot vs HEAT rounds, and it's logical how the reticles are different and reflect the different trajectories.

However, if I also select the ammo type, just as I would in normal mode with the GPS, the GAS/barrel shfits.

Should I be selecting both the reticle and the ammo type? Or only the reticle and leave ammo type set to Ammo 1?

I'm assuming the "shift" you're talking about involves moving the entire sight picture up/down when you index ammo, not a relative shift where the reticle moves in relation to other elements in the sight?

This will happen in normal mode, because the gun is still slaved to the FCS and the GAS is slaved to the barrel (the tank doesn't know/care which sight you're using). It should also happen if you alter any of the other ballistic parametres in the computer - such as range. It doesn't affect the GAS itself, though, its relation to the barrel is still the same. So it shouldn't matter what the FCS index is, as long as you do your GAS-things right.

Note that I'm not familiar with M1s, only Leos, but I can't see how this question could be fundamentally different.

On a side-note, the relationship between the GAS and the barrel means it's an excellent tool to determine whether you can fire from a turret-down position. A rather neat feature when your tank is equipped with TIM/CITV - through careful use of the GAS it can be perfectly possible to fire at targets while exposing no more of your own vehicle than the commanders periscope.

In the tutorial for GAS in the M1, it explains how to select the proper reticle for Sabot vs HEAT rounds, and it's logical how the reticles are different and reflect the different trajectories.

However, if I also select the ammo type, just as I would in normal mode with the GPS, the GAS/barrel shfits.

Should I be selecting both the reticle and the ammo type? Or only the reticle and leave ammo type set to Ammo 1?

Selecting the Ammo type in the GPS has no relevance to the Reticule used in the GAS.

(They are separate sighting systems.)

Also sounds like you are leaving the Fire Control system in "Normal" mode try "Emergency" key: " . "

It doesn't affect the GAS itself, though, its relation to the barrel is still the same. So it shouldn't matter what the FCS index is, as long as you do your GAS-things right.

Okay, this makes sense; the ammo index will cause the barrel to move (in normal mode), so I would just wind up manually re-adjusting the barrel while looking through the GAS. It amounts to nothing more than a waste of precious time, even though either index would technically work with either reitcle in the GAS.

Selecting the Ammo type in the GPS has no relevance to the Reticule used in the GAS.

(They are separate sighting systems.)

Also sounds like you are leaving the Fire Control system in "Normal" mode try "Emergency" key: " . "

You're correct; in the tutorial for the GAS, it has you in normal mode. Most likely this is because it suggests moving between GAS and GPS to compare results of LRF and GAS reticle. I could/should just switch to emergency unless I am using the GPS for comparison.

Thanks for the explanations, guys.