Questions about SB

R Lee

Hello everyone.

I am interested in SB, but have some questions on some features. A little about my real world background. I joined the US Army in 1989 as a 19K. (Armor Crewman). I was deployed to Germany after training and then eventually to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Storm. My unit was the 2nd BN 70th Armor and was part of the 1st Armored Division/7th Corp. You can do some research on this unit on the net, our biggest battle was the battle of Medina Ridge.

My primary experience was as an M1A1 driver, though I had done some simulator gunnery training before I got out in 1993. I remember doing U-COFT (Unit-Conduct of Fire Trainer) in Germany and it was a lot of fun, but the graphics were sooo basic. I remember not being able to tell the difference between a river and a road. They were both a straight line just a little different in color. I remember it because I plowed us into a river when I though we were crossing a road.

SB just came to my attention a few years back, but I never really had the time to put into it, so I really didn't pursue it. Now I'm interested. The cost is no problem, but I do have some questions I hope the community can help me answer before I commit. I do play ARMA II and III Beta and tend to lean toward more simulator type stuff. I know SB is much more deep and authentic than ARMA which is why I'm here. Here go my questions.

1) During a SP mission does the TC position in the M1A1 allow the commander to override the gunner as in real life?

2) Can you switch positions in the tank, say gunner to TC and back?

3) Can you play as gunner and the AI take care of all movement and tactics?

4) Is the simulation deep enough to have to click switches in each station (mouse clicks) and can these be automated if desired?

5) How active is the multiplayer community and how hard is it to join an organized unit where a mission is conducted with all human players in each station?

That's about it. I'm impressed with the videos I've seen of SB and the authenticity of the fire commands and sound is impressive. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

1. "yes"

2. "yes"

3. "yes"

4. "Yes" [i'm assuming you are primarily interested in the M1, other vehicles have "playable" turrets to a greater or lesser degree -although I'm not sure why you want to click switches AND have it automated.

5. The multi player community is active (although usually at the one player per Platoon or greater level). There are scenarios where you can fully man "a" tank and do crew drills etc.

Here is a link to the last big event (run in early June):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19231

Welcome!

1. "yes"

2. "yes"

3. "yes"

4. "Yes" [i'm assuming you are primarily interested in the M1, other vehicles have "playable" turrets to a greater or lesser degree -although I'm not sure why you want to click switches AND have it automated.

5. The multi player community is active (although usually at the one player per Platoon or greater level). There are scenarios where you can fully man "a" tank and do crew drills etc.

Here is a link to the last big event (run in early June):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19231

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as question #4 it was just a curiosity if it had levels of realism. I may have to start slow!! It's been 20 years since I've been in an Abrams. :)

So the multiplayer is mostly guys commanding AI platoons and working together as a company/battalion on the battlefield? That sounds pretty cool too.

Thanks again.

1) yes

2)yes

3)partially, TC will call out targets for you. Tactical movement goes as as that the AI-TC will seek a hulldown position against the enemy when in a BP. He will seek a turret down pos. while reloading. The AI will not goes as far as for example deciding to change BP as you have been exposed long enough. You can also kind of "override" the AI-TC as a human player by using WASDX-keys to change the vehicles position

4)partially. Depending on the vehicle you are using...many or most of the switches are "clickable". In the M1 most of the switches are useable. But that a feature rarely used in game by most users. As you know, you don't take your eyes from the optics to look a switches ;-)

5) community is quiete active. There are regular big events like the long night of tanks. And weekly "battles" at US-times(CET or something) called thank-god-its-friday(TGIF) games. Player here are a friendly bunch and allways happy to help new player. Many players around here are active/reserve or former mil.-members ;-)

1) yes

2)yes

3)partially, TC will call out targets for you. Tactical movement goes as as that the AI-TC will seek a hulldown position against the enemy when in a BP. He will seek a turret down pos. while reloading. The AI will not goes as far as for example deciding to change BP as you have been exposed long enough. You can also kind of "override" the AI-TC as a human player by using WASDX-keys to change the vehicles position

4)partially. Depending on the vehicle you are using...many or most of the switches are "clickable". In the M1 most of the switches are useable. But that a feature rarely used in game by most users. As you know, you don't take your eyes from the optics to look a switches ;-)

5) community is quiete active. There are regular big events like the long night of tanks. And weekly "battles" at US-times(CET or something) called thank-god-its-friday(TGIF) games. Player here are a friendly bunch and allways happy to help new player. Many players around here are active/reserve or former mil.-members ;-)

Thanks!! All replies are helpful.. :)

Thanks!! All replies are helpful.. :)

Referring to the level of Switchiness (Polite version)

Generally the vehicles only have combat elements of the FCS implemented.

Input of Manual range, selecting and/or changing of battlesight range, Ammo type etc. There are 1 or 2 that have "Pre-battle setup" features enabled.

3 Examples are the T-72, the ASCOD Pizarro, and the CV9020FI (Which in this new update, coming soon, will have a full switchiness level implemented. Where. If rumors are true, you can change everything except the gunner's and commander's seat height. :) )

One more question. I can't order yet as the purchase site is down for maintenance, but what is the upgrade that's listed for $25?

The base game is on sale for $75 and the manual is $15, but what is the upgrade?

Is that the price if your upgrading from an older version?

The base game is on sale for $75 and the manual is $15, but what is the upgrade?

Is that the price if your upgrading from an older version?

Price for v.3.0 upgrade license expected to be higher than usual $ 25 and not yet announced. And yes, this is for those who are upgrading from older versions.

Printed manual is purely optional- its digital copy included to the package together with nice load of other useful documents.

Price for v.3.0 upgrade license expected to be higher than usual $ 25 and not yet announced. And yes, this is for those who are upgrading from older versions.

Printed manual is purely optional- its digital copy included to the package together with nice load of other useful documents.

Thanks. I'm going to get the manual too, I always like to have them in print. :)

Ahhh yes, switchology, the art of making sure all of your switches are in the right positions at the right time. Realising that the big lever marked "Undercarriage" is still in the up position when you're 400ft on short final is not generally considered good switchology. :debile2:

Never missed that switch again though :biggrin:

Thanks. I'm going to get the manual too, I always like to have them in print. :)

Yes as Hedge mentioned (no idea what the Tjay reference is about) the new printed manual will be released sometime well after the upgrade will ship.

So if you really want a book, I'd suggest ordering the upgrade and then when announced, ordering the book.

Yes as Hedge mentioned (no idea what the Tjay reference is about) the new printed manual will be released sometime well after the upgrade will ship.

So if you really want a book, I'd suggest ordering the upgrade and then when announced, ordering the book.

Tjay is a tech writer and is rewriting the manual i believe.

ill wait for sept,plus if its wrong we know who to blame,lol:debile2:

Blame away - I'm quite used to it. :) UKA used to have a 'blame roster' but no one could remember who's turn it was everyone decided it would be easier to have a permanent blamee. Me.

Well, one of the guys here advised me to contact Snake to get a demo and I did. I messed with it a little last night and I love it already!! The M1A1 fire control is pretty much exactly how I remembered it. The controls, as a whole, are a little daunting, but I can work thru that. I plan to move some of the controls into voice commands with GlovePie.

Now I'm just waiting for the eSim webstore to open back up so I can order my copy. Now I'm excited to see what comes in version 3.0. I will be buying that update for sure.

Thanks again guys, this is just what I expected in a good tank sim.

Well, one of the guys here advised me to contact Snake to get a demo and I did.

Just FYI in case you refer it on to someone else, there are links on the home page about the demo.

That way you don't need to email Ssnake who in turn has to pass it on again.

Anyway glad you are liking it.

P.S.: If you are around we kick off our next MP session in about 35 hours from "now" and you are welcome to come a long and just get a feel for the "next level up".

Edited by Gibsonm