Release Date!

Skyshark

The "news" is still the same. Our current course of action is to work out the remaining bugs until ist's basically release-worthy (we're very close to that point), then to work on the new particle effects to see if we can make quick progress. If it turns out to be a lot more complicated than we think it is, we'll release the "safe" version without the particles. If for once things go according to plan, we'll take a few more weeks to finish and polish things to make it look real nice.

Nothing outrageously fancy, but simply avoiding to ship it with dated, ugly fire/smoke/dust animations.

Please dont release it without the new effects. Graphics are not the most important factor in this sim, but still it now looks dated. The models look badass,but the enviroment doesnt really hold up. The addition of shadows is great, but the effects would be what could add a new edge to the immersion factor. I would prefer waiting extra months just to get everything in. Bit thats just my opinion, i know others would want to get their hands on the new stuff as it is right now.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont release it without the new effects. Graphics are not the most important factor in this sim, but still it now looks dated. The models look badass,but the enviroment doesnt really hold up. The addition of shadows is great, but the effects would be what could add a new edge to the immersion factor. I would prefer waiting extra months just to get everything in. Bit thats just my opinion, i know others would want to get their hands on the new stuff as it is right now.

I second that.

Same here - for me perfect release date would be end of August... once i return from vacation :)

But of course, if it takes longer - so be it.:biggrin:

Agreed :)

Dito

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, "please sir(s), I want some more..." -crumbs... perhaps some screen shots of 3.0 or the like. Surely you kind gentlemen could spare us small tidbits to wet our palettes.

Well if its not ready, what's the point?

All you'll see are screenshots of something "broken" and then you'll all say “that looks like crap, its broken!".

As for other screenshots of ver 3 some of "us" have been posting them in the Screenshots thread (apart from my last two) and in Zipuli's thread.

You guys, by and large, asked them to not release it until it was ready so how about letting them do that.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

It isn't uncommon in software development that fixing a certain problem unveils another that wasn't visible before, leading you on a more or less meandering trail of "bug crumbs" that you cannot just abandon at will. We've had a number of these cases in the past weeks, but it looks like we're finally through with that. Now that we are running late on running late we'll do what we can to catch up.

I'll be damned to announce a new release date however, or even hint one. I'll let you know when I have the first release candidate in my hands. And I might manage to find the time working on the one or other additional tutorial video for YouTube.

Keep in mind though that we also have other business to run while we're putting on the finishing touches on 3.0. We cannot afford to ignore that the world keeps spinning. :o

Well if its not ready, what's the point?

All you'll see are screenshots of something "broken" and then you'll all say “that looks like crap, its broken!".

As for other screenshots of ver 3 some of "us" have been posting them in the Screenshots thread (apart from my last two) and in Zipuli's thread.

You guys, by and large, asked them to not release it until it was ready so how about letting them do that.

Er, I apologize for upsetting you.

The point is however, I enjoyed reading the confirmation of what is coming out in 3.0 as well as the screen shots that have thus far been released. I've also enjoyed the threads that would follow. And from what I can tell, so do a few others. Also, I enjoy watching the manufacturing process of just about anything. Seeing something come together is fun in and of itself.

I do not recall having ever made a derogatory remark on any of the screen shots that have been released.

And yes, I have been seeing those screen shots. Really like the one of the moving breech upon firing. Seems a trickle of what it once was though.

In no way am I asking that 3.0 be released unfinished or even for it to be hurried. Taking screen shots or posting little tidbits of anything else that is in the works should not be too much of an inconvenience I would think, as the forums are visited anyway and it may be a nice reprieve from time to time.

It isn't uncommon in software development that fixing a certain problem unveils another that wasn't visible before, leading you on a more or less meandering trail of "bug crumbs" that you cannot just abandon at will. We've had a number of these cases in the past weeks, but it looks like we're finally through with that. Now that we are running late on running late we'll do what we can to catch up.

I'll be damned to announce a new release date however, or even hint one. I'll let you know when I have the first release candidate in my hands. And I might manage to find the time working on the one or other additional tutorial video for YouTube.

Keep in mind though that we also have other business to run while we're putting on the finishing touches on 3.0. We cannot afford to ignore that the world keeps spinning. :o

Er... I understand all of this. What I don't understand what I said that prompted you to feel the need to give this explanation. Apologies on my part.

well I just spent my money I was saving for this, on a new Harley Davidson!

So I'm guessing a release date next month, when I have the money back in the saving account hoping to buy it.. :eek2:

Yesterday's technology, at Tomorrow's prices!! :biggrin:

(They do sound good though. :) )

Er, I apologize for upsetting you.

The point is however, I enjoyed reading the confirmation of what is coming out in 3.0 as well as the screen shots that have thus far been released. I've also enjoyed the threads that would follow. And from what I can tell, so do a few others. Also, I enjoy watching the manufacturing process of just about anything. Seeing something come together is fun in and of itself.

I do not recall having ever made a derogatory remark on any of the screen shots that have been released.

And yes, I have been seeing those screen shots. Really like the one of the moving breech upon firing. Seems a trickle of what it once was though.

In no way am I asking that 3.0 be released unfinished or even for it to be hurried. Taking screen shots or posting little tidbits of anything else that is in the works should not be too much

+1

Ssnake has stated that most of the models currently in SB

Have been improved,He also posted a few screen shots.

May be the Beta test guys could show us the rest.

I think most of us are happy to wait till 3.0 is released as bug free as possible.

If that takes a couple of months then so be it.(its worth the wait)

But it would be nice to be able to view, via screen shots whats happening.

But it would be nice to be able to view, via screen shots whats happening.

Error message dialog boxes, crashes to desktop and 3d models with erm, odd, properties would be a bit old before too long.

I suspect screenshots of the more outlandish physics of the in work particle effects would be mildly amusing though. :)

• Members
Er... I understand all of this. What I don't understand what I said that prompted you to feel the need to give this explanation. Apologies on my part.

You've been reading too much into my reply. It wasn't directed at you specifically. But similar questions have been brought up by others as well, here and in other discussion boards.