Warthog vs. mouse

MDF

No, this is not about a new nature documentary.

I have been using the mouse for aiming and viewing. I am contemplating getting the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS kit. I really like the smooth, precise aiming with the mouse, and I am loathe to give that up. How does the Warthog joystick compare? (and I'd rather not have to switch between joystick and mouse when I need to track a target -- that's the whole point of HOTAS:) ).

Not to split hairs, but can you say how it compares to the mouse for target tracking? My last joystick was a TM F-22 Pro, which had a very stiff spring and was not good for fine-grained control. I understand Warthog is better in this respect, but I just wonder whether it allows the fine degree of control that the mouse does.

It's very smooth. I don't have any trouble tracking targets with it. As for how it compares with the mouse, I don't think anything is going to match the precision of a mouse. I just prefer using a stick for aiming. I switch back to mouse when it comes to moving my head around when turned out and whatnot though.

It's very smooth. I don't have any trouble tracking targets with it. As for how it compares with the mouse, I don't think anything is going to match the precision of a mouse.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. When you're trying to guide the reticle onto that tiny dot that is a tank at 3,000m, or keep it centered on target when the driver is making a turn.

I just prefer using a stick for aiming. I switch back to mouse when it comes to moving my head around when turned out and whatnot though.

That's interesting. Is the joystick awkward for that? Is it because he joystick re-centers itself, whereas the mouse-aimed view will stay put wherever you last pointed it?

I love my warthog, but for flying only. I use my logitech for gunning.

Well, its all a moot point now, a I just impulsively ordered the Warthog anyway.:redface: It belatedly occurred to me that if I didn't like using the joystick with SB, I could just use the throttle for plenty of HOTAS with my left hand and still use the mouse with my right.

Now I'm just wondering if it's possible to program the throttle axis to control speed by spitting out 'w' when pushed forward and 'x' when pushed back.

Now I'm just wondering if it's possible to program the throttle axis to control speed by spitting out 'w' when pushed forward and 'x' when pushed back.

Yes, it is possible. Digital type statements on an axis. For example, ANT 6 5 (8 20 40 45 70 80) u d c - FORCE_MACROS

I did something like this with my Saitek X-52. It was tricky, though, considering you have three forward speeds. So you have to be able to emulate hitting the [W] key multiple times without giving the stop or slow command in between.

The way I did it was to use the Saitek software to split the throttle axis into "bands", each of which gave a unique command. End result was something like:

0-20%: Reverse [X]

21-40%: Stop

41-60%: Slow [W]

61-80%: Fast [W]

81-100%: Top Speed [W]

Down side is if you're at say 70% (Fast) and move the throttle back a bit to say 50%, you end up going faster (another [W] input) until you get down to <40%. I suppose you could put a "dead zone" between stop and forward and just rock the throttle, but I don't know if TM software will even let you do something like that.

I use the Warthog for Steelbeasts. If you're not planning to use your Warthog for heavy flying, you may want to consider doing a "Big Spring-cetomy":

It greatly reduces the resistance, making tracking easier, (it's also non-destructive and easily reversible.)

I'd also recommend grabbing xpadder for programming the stick to simplify the process:

http://xpadder.com/

I did something like this with my Saitek X-52. It was tricky, though, considering you have three forward speeds. So you have to be able to emulate hitting the [W] key multiple times without giving the stop or slow command in between.

The way I did it was to use the Saitek software to split the throttle axis into "bands", each of which gave a unique command. End result was something like:

0-20%: Reverse [X]

21-40%: Stop

41-60%: Slow [W]

61-80%: Fast [W]

81-100%: Top Speed [W]

Down side is if you're at say 70% (Fast) and move the throttle back a bit to say 50%, you end up going faster (another [W] input) until you get down to <40%. I suppose you could put a "dead zone" between stop and forward and just rock the throttle, but I don't know if TM software will even let you do something like that.

I'm hoping that the throttle allows separate keystrokes depending on whether it is moving forward or backward. I think that would do the trick.

I use the Warthog for Steelbeasts. If you're not planning to use your Warthog for heavy flying, you may want to consider doing a "Big Spring-cetomy":

It greatly reduces the resistance, making tracking easier, (it's also non-destructive and easily reversible.)

I'd also recommend grabbing xpadder for programming the stick to simplify the process:

http://xpadder.com/

I'll have to take a look at this. Might do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone using the Saitek X65f joystick with SB?Its on my to buy list and wondering if the non moving joystick would work well with Steel Beasts.....

I would not recommend X65F or any non-moving joystick for tanking or flight sims. Humans need the feedback of movement. Try it before you buy.

I would not recommend X65F or any non-moving joystick for tanking or flight sims. Humans need the feedback of movement. Try it before you buy.

Its a big jump but I just feel that I will be one of those people that likes a non moving stick as the more throw a joystick has the less I like it.The CH stick,that is praised to no end,for me was just horrible and I tried for a good week to come to grips with the excessive throw.I actually use a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D stick that I have removed the handle so its only a small 2-in stub and my flying is way more precise.I have purchased so many sticks and returned them promptly that I am now about to give.But just gotta give one more try.:shocked: