Questions about 3.0 Ask the Boss.

Marko

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my dongle yesterday(Thank you as it was ridiculous fast at 2 business days)and instantly fell in love.:smilelove-1: Also Steel beasts runs at 63fps constant with everything at its highest I could set in Nvidia control panel. And the mouse control is superb and feels just right for me that I now think a joystick is not really needed.I did change the controls though to a more comfortable setup as the default setup can be a finger twister at times.So now I am practicing things like driving tank from TC position while unbuttoned and also in the various scope views.Its very disorientating at times but with practice I feel I can become proficient at it.And then comes my first suggestion or request depending on how you look at it.:cul:

When in the Leopard2A5 TIM I find that the small yellow dot that shows the TC view direction is locked to the turret position where usually from other spots its separated.This means I have to look at the turret position relative to the tank body and then look at the TIM screen numbers up top and calculate where I am actually looking and its quite hard to do this.Staying hull down while reversing means I have to unbutton and pop my head up.Can this be changed so that the yellow dot moves separately from turret and tank body while in TIM?I feel this would allow me to stay at TIM alot more.

Not sure I got you right, but could it be you are talking about having slaved your sights? TC peri/thermal to gun, in your case? If so, hitting the palm button should unslave it. - Gun slaved to TC peri/thermal also is possible. You use it to hand over targets to the gunner. Slave gun to your TC sight's aiming, wait until gunner confirms he sees the target, unslave the gun, order fire (fire button). If you hit fire button without unslaving the gun first, you do not issue a fire command, but fire the gun yourself, without LRF and dynamic lead. Handing over to the gunner if there is time, is better.

What I was trying to do is steer the tank from the TIM.When under attack I wanted to know where the TC view in TIM was pointed so I could attempt to guide the driver to avoid being hit.The problem was that the yellow dot that usually is separate from turret in the small icon in lower right of screen is always locked to the turret when using the TIM and so hard to gauge the direction TIM is pointed at.

The Leopard has a solution built in,though I am not sure this was its intended use.In TIM panel there is a switch second from right that says PERI 12 and 6.It locks the periscope and the TIM view to either 12 and 6 oclock relative to tank body.

• Members
What I was trying to do is steer the tank from the TIM. ...

The Leopard has a solution built in,though I am not sure this was its intended use.

Rest assured, it IS intentional. ;)

The index positions 6 and 12 are for the commander to sync with the driver's perspective.

That you feel a bit disoriented with the turret pointing one way, the hull driving another, and you looking in a third direction ... well, it's kinda intentional. I have witnessed tank commanders hopping from the rear turret without looking, expecting the engine some 50cm below. Unfortunately the tank was still on a rail car, with turret at 9 o'clock, and a steep embankment. The drop turned out to be in the 6m range (fortunately it was "just" crushed rock on a 30° slope which made it less of a solid impact than what could have been a deadly mistake.

So, it happens to experienced tankers too, occasionally. Getting used to it by way of practice is one of the learning points of SB Pro PE.

Rest assured, it IS intentional. ;)

The index positions 6 and 12 are for the commander to sync with the driver's perspective.

That you feel a bit disoriented with the turret pointing one way, the hull driving another, and you looking in a third direction ... well, it's kinda intentional. I have witnessed tank commanders hopping from the rear turret without looking, expecting the engine some 50cm below. Unfortunately the tank was still on a rail car, with turret at 9 o'clock, and a steep embankment. The drop turned out to be in the 6m range (fortunately it was "just" crushed rock on a 30° slope which made it less of a solid impact than what could have been a deadly mistake.

So, it happens to experienced tankers too, occasionally. Getting used to it by way of practice is one of the learning points of SB Pro PE.

Ouch,yet kinda funny in a way.:cul:And thank you for the heads up as it is good to know I am using the index positions as they were intended.

• Members
Why was the turret pointing at 9 o'clock on a rail car?

There was a hold-up in the loading procedure of a few hours and they decided to do some maintenance while it was already on the rail car

What happened to the TC?

Sore bum, leg & ankle combo?

Yeah. QUITE sore, and a sprained ankle. Yet very lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be a additional ambient town/ city sounds.

I think it really adds to the immersion.

I was checking out tank hunters Afghanistan map and admiring some of the buildings

They look great even with out the update. with all the additional models and civilians coming in the update.

Additional ambient sounds would be the icing on the cake.

I doubt it.

What sort of sounds are you after?

There is unlikely to be traffic noise if all the cars are burning. ;)

Trucks, dogs barking, road works. Music from some of the buildings, civilians arguing,

The occasional burst of gun fire. church bells, Muslim prayers from mosque etc.

Trucks, dogs barking, road works. Music from some of the buildings, civilians arguing,

The occasional burst of gun fire. church bells, Muslim prayers from mosque etc.

I can understand the desire to have “ambience” but how do you script that?

Yes you might have “road works” in a security ops type scenario, but in a conventional war scenario the council workers are now refugees (I suspect they would not continue to run a stop / go work site with tanks and artillery nearby).

So you’d need some sort of script to turn the noise on or off.

Even if you could do that what happens if the “trucks” sound is “on” but the designer doesn’t include any?

Perhaps just play with the window open? ;)