What did you do on the weekend ...

Gibsonm

Its not as flash as the facility at Holstebro but it can move.

Here are a few photos of my latest toy, a “deployable” sim kit consisting of 40 laptops, 20 sets of steering wheels, 20 joysticks, a few switches and power leads/boards, projector, screen and a bunch of ethernet cable.

This is about a third of it deployed on site for a training activity.

The triangle helps with OHS and soldiers with big feet by putting all the cables in the middle.

Setup time approx. 60 mins from the truck pulling up to running.

9738238037_d8a3ce1dd3_c.jpg

9738238537_4e0c115841_c.jpg

9738238261_19d139982f_c.jpg

9738238723_029caa3e69_c.jpg

9738238727_829d36c829_c.jpg

Anyway thought it maybe of interest to some.

Very nice. I take it that the scenarios were mostly involving Bushmasters? (because of the obvious elephant(s) in the room (literally), and the steering wheels) ;)

Yes a combination of crew training (some of which I admit was achieved with another product) and then C2 training for the head shed. This involved planning and executing a solution to a problem and then post H Hr stuff - “What do you do now Capt?”

If nothing else we confirmed that a company mounted in PMV assaulting a BTR Platoon position (with a T-90) is not a good idea. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

How do the troops take to it as a training tool ? Im assuming that any tactical training benefit or results have to be offset against the "fingerology" involved in tanking on a laptop ? Is it seen as a TEWT training tool ? Clearly I don't expect a full and frank account, just curious. Having finished my service at the rather frustrating point that simulator training was almost not quite being taken less as hokum and more raised eyebrows of interest.

How do the troops take to it as a training tool ? Im assuming that any tactical training benefit or results have to be offset against the "fingerology" involved in tanking on a laptop ? Is it seen as a TEWT training tool ? Clearly I don't expect a full and frank account, just curious. Having finished my service at the rather frustrating point that simulator training was almost not quite being taken less as hokum and more raised eyebrows of interest.

Well in part a new directive (partially aimed at saving money of course) that a given activity needs to be done in sim a few times before it is done for real (the sim runs used to remediate some issues rather than burning diesel to do so) means that they “will like it” (:)).

However most of the junior soldiers use similar key sequences on their home first person shooter stuff and the other product used for individual TTPs (“get out and walk over there” type stuff) uses similar commands.

Of course there is a training bill as you go through the basic commands before hand (and in this case PMV doesn’t use every command - no palm switches, no LRF, etc.) and we provide a laminated keyboard sheet with each laptop.

So on the first run there is a lot of “what key does this, again?” type questions but after that the sim mechanics are pretty much under control.

For the TEWTs the focus is on routes, graphics, etc. as being in the gunner’s seat isn’t really the focus of the training.

Well in part a new directive (partially aimed at saving money of course) that a given activity needs to be done in sim a few times before it is done for real (the sim runs used to remediate some issues rather than burning diesel to do so) means that they “will like it” (:)).

However most of the junior soldiers use similar key sequences on their home first person shooter stuff and the other product used for individual TTPs (“get out and walk over there” type stuff) uses similar commands.

Of course there is a training bill as you go through the basic commands before hand (and in this case PMV doesn’t use every command - no palm switches, no LRF, etc.) and we provide a laminated keyboard sheet with each laptop.

So on the first run there is a lot of “what key does this, again?” type questions but after that the sim mechanics are pretty much under control.

For the TEWTs the focus is on routes, graphics, etc. as being in the gunner’s seat isn’t really the focus of the training.

So these are used as the "Broad Brush strokes" of tactics, then the detail work is mounted up with the vehicles?

I.E. Assaulting a platoon of T-72s head on in GPMG armed air conned limos is not a good idea, but sneaking around the flank is worth a shot?

Then the jumping out of the Bushies and assaulting the T-72s with RPGs is done in full kit with drill rounds?

So these are used as the "Broad Brush strokes" of tactics, then the detail work is mounted up with the vehicles?

I.E. Assaulting a platoon of T-72s head on in GPMG armed air conned limos is not a good idea, but sneaking around the flank is worth a shot?

Then the jumping out of the Bushies and assaulting the T-72s with RPGs is done in full kit with drill rounds?

Um, no.

but you already knew that.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting and also quite pleasing. The season change is apparent. I think when I hung up my boots in 2006, despite the accelerated operational deployment of more and more technology.

The "Playstation Generation" were frowned on as less capable than us oldies. (I think thats an accolade that has been pinned to newbie squaddies since Centurion was a Rank not a Tank....Oooh you should of been in when we had the Lead tipped spears, they where a man stopper etc etc). Personally having and still am a computer sim addict, I could see that "their" familiarity with the gaming cult would and should be exploited were appropriate. A certain Military College not a million miles from me has a rather large VBS room, I need to be knocking on the door there and getting involved :). Interesting insight, what you need is a dedicated well doctirnated online OPFOR that can be called on to exercise against the boys......any volunteers here :)

[quote what you need is a dedicated well doctirnated online OPFOR that can be called on to exercise against the boys......any volunteers here :)

Soviet Vu are getting quite good now, and the intention when the unit was formed was to provide a competent Soviet doctrine using force to provide a human opponent for other virtual units, I'm sure we would love

to have a bash against the professionals :)

what you need is a dedicated well doctirnated online OPFOR that can be called on to exercise against the boys......any volunteers here :)

Soviet Vu are getting quite good now, and the intention when the unit was formed was to provide a competent Soviet doctrine using force to provide a human opponent for other virtual units, I'm sure we would love

Marko would need to expand the tactical possibilities outside the typical "CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!" tactic. :biggrin:

[quote what you need is a dedicated well doctirnated online OPFOR that can be called on to exercise against the boys......any volunteers here :)

Well if you guys are doing stuff like Post #9 (and its attachments) here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=242395

And are willing to be up all night, then drop me a line. :)