How's a noob get in on Friday's games?

Hello...

For the first time in over 12 years at my current job, I finally do not work weekends anymore (not my choice)... I've been reading about and watching that damn countdown timer to Friday's games for a long time, and now would like to get in on the action if possible...

Question is... how? Who host it, is it closed to a group or two? What is needed, besides the sim of course and TS... do you have to be good, because BE WARNED, I'm not... I understand all, OK most... alright alright some of the mechanics of the sim and the tactics of the gameplay, but still...when I do play online, I usually take a SABOT in the gut before I ever even see the enemy... But I am willing to learn, and you definitly can count on me for tactics and teamwork.

So if theres room, can I play? ;)

Posted by Ssnake

I don't see why not. The critical issue is not to miss the window when someone sets up a session, so it's advisable to meet at the TeamSpeak server in a timely manner.

Right on! Magnum50, try coming on TS 30 minutes or so before 9 PM CST. The game usually starts 20 minutes after 9 due to waiting for everyone else and planning, so you should hop on early.

Posted by Magnum50

Who host it, is it closed to a group or two?

Usually Sean hosts it, but due to marriage, Chaplain hosts for now. To get on his server when they decide to get their game on, Chaplain's IP address is here, in the last post:http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=11917 If you don't remember, you can always ask Chaplain to put it down in the text box.

Posted by Magnum50

do you have to be good, because BE WARNED, I'm not... I understand all, OK most... alright alright some of the mechanics of the sim and the tactics of the gameplay,

No, you don't. I wasn't always as good as I am now, but I learned quickly. Now I can be trusted with a platoon, and can even take a company if needed. Here's a link to a site I've found useful:http://www.29tharmor.com/Resources/AFKPro/index.htm

Posted by Magnum50

but still...when I do play online, I usually take a SABOT in the gut before I ever even see the enemy...

Don't worry, that's par for the course. You won't see most of the people who kill you until the AAR. It's rare when we see the people who killed us.

Posted by Magnum50

But I am willing to learn, and you definitly can count on me for tactics and teamwork.

So if theres room, can I play?;)

Right on, dude! That's the spirit! There's always room on the TS and gaming servers, so when you get TS running, come join us on Friday. See you there!:)

.when I do play online, I usually take a SABOT in the gut before I ever even see the enemy... But I am willing to learn, and you definitly can count on me for tactics and teamwork.

Getting nailed so quickly happens to everyone who plays online with experienced players.

happened to me to in the beginning and on occasion it still happens to me from time to time. The trick is to get to know the terrain and think like the enemy and scan for possible good hull down or other good positions that the enemy might lurk to pump a round into you. Personally i think online you learn the most because you are dealing with human minds and not AI .

Posted by Tacbat

Don't worry about your skill/experience level, it comes with time.

True.

Posted by Tacbat

Hell, you may be better then some of the guys already playing, no matter how good they think they are. :sonic:

Online, true. But you'd better watch your back on the forum, Tacbat, because I'm a senior member now! Yippie!:drink::gun: On another note, Magnum50, just download the beta. You'll be able to play with us, and to save your AARs as well. And do you have TeamSpeak up and running? If you're worried about it being too difficult to use, stop worrying. As one of my favorite expressions goes, "TeamSpeak's interface is so intuitive it makes Mac OS X look like something Jobs wrote on a napkin while drunk."

Posted by Tacbat

Small accomplishment.

Maybe your mommie will tell you how proud she is of you when she gives you your next dose of meds.

Uh, is it just me, or did that just go past ribbing? Snarkyness is becoming an epidemic. Where do I report for innoculation?:wink2: Edit: Someone should admit Tacbat to a field hospital.

Posted by oscar19681

Thats like a sabot round flying directly into his barrel. LOL

This is more like it.:biggrin:

Posted by Magnum50

I have the beta and play small unit co-op frequently... and have teamspeak up and running, and set... so I'm not a true noob, just a noob to organized SB play.

See you then.

Now that that's cleared up, I think differently about this entire thread. Sorry if I seemed presumptuous, and don't worry, I was just like you just before I joined the forum. I'll see you then.:sonic: