Am I right in thinking that ...

Pipski

(OK, I'm back with more questions!)

First off, am I right in thinking that there's no way to 'despawn' a unit of infantry or otherwise remove them, without leaving a pile of dead bodies behind and a kill record? I'm trying to find a way to emulate loading infantry onto trucks, but I can work around it if needs be.

Second - are there no settings, or maps, or themes, or mods that simulate night-time / moonlight / twilight / dawn conditions? Is there any way of doing it?

Third - I can't figure out how to get helo's to touch down. I'm sure it's dead simple, but I've yet to suss it out. I've tried helping them with autocannon fire, but that makes them land upside down! (Seriously, how do you get them to set down?)

I'm finding no problems with the editor in terms of gameplay / combat - it's really very powerful and flexible - it's just adding these relatively cosmetic touches for the sake of immersion that's foxing me at the moment.

Well the simple answer to the first 2 is: No

Though to create night time one has to change textures etc...

As for the helos set flight height to: Nap of the Earth, or is it Treetop?

And a Hold tactic, and if you do shoot them down they do a bit of break dancing but i hear the guys know about this...

I don't think they actually put wheels/skids to ground, just a very low hover.

I have two possibilities for you:

1) Give them just enough fuel to do what you want them to do. When they run out, they'll land (or crash if they are still moving). However, they will be permanently grounded.

2) You can manually lower them to the ground using the "Z" key, and then turn their engines off.