Nav Mesh and Path Finding

Werewolf

I read the release notes for vs 3. Very complete and very interesting. I'm looking forward to all the new features.

Have one question though. Nav Mesh. The implication is that the path finding issues in vs 2.654 that included units driving into rivers, lakes, off of cliffs and into holes; units getting hung up in woods and rocky fields have been fixed.

These issues have been present in SB since the very 1st version. Has 3 with the inclusion of nav mesh and path finding optimization fixed those issues?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Vehicles behave better but three or more vehicles and if its tight streets things tend to go pear shaped, but I have not had the time to really delve into this in a substantial way as of yet. Yet I see improvements with the limited tests I have run.

Tried the Nav mesh on a town map and used a 6 man infantry unit in march route through the town, within 5 min the inf where all over the place stuck behind buildings between walls and telegraph poles etc. until we can put inf into some sort of column or file formation I don’t see this improving.

but as far as i can see Navmesh is just an aid to laying routes not helping AI units to avoid objects and holes once moving.

• Members

The nav meshes are a step in that direction, but not a complete solution. They merely lay the necessary ground work - and they give, as an immediately visible benefit to justify their introduction, autonomy to the civilian units and more convenient path plotting especially for road-bound routes.

Military units cannot yet profit much from the nav meshes, but over time they too will. The problem of a military unit is the simultaneous and sometimes contradicting requirement to avoid obstacles but to maintain formation at the same time. We are currently working on ways to mate these two behaviors better.