How to engage a target with the M1A2 SEP

godzilla

Is there a tutorial or wiki on this yet? Can't hit a squat with this one from the gunners position or TC position. Love the fact you can really zoom in from the GPS but this function does not seem to work at the tank range, it only seems to be switching between 3x and 10x (using the N key), what in the heck am I doing wrong here :confused:

The day sight still only has 3x and 10x, you'll need to use the numpad + key to toggle on the thermal sight and then you can really zoom in.

You need to manually index the fire control computer for ammunition type.

Insert = Sabot

Delete = Heat

End = MPAT

If the little indicator for your ammo in the upper right corner is blinking instead of steady, you're indexed wrong and need to select the correct ammo type.

After you lase, the sight will begin adjusting for lead, this is based on turret movement over the last two seconds. Steadily track the target for two seconds before firing. If this method is not suitable for an engagement, momentarily release the palm switches (tap 'P' or the correct button on your controller) then manually apply lead and fire.

After an engagement, I suggest that you go ahead and dump lead, again, by momentarily releasing your palm switches.

The sight doesn't move laterally like it does with the M1/M1A1, but the same lead calculation occurs. That might be throwing you off a bit?

Couple of thoughts...

Firstly you need to be using the thermal sight to be able to access the super zoom levels. Press + to engage/disengage it.

Secondly, in what circumstances are you missing, ammo types, range, movement etc, is it going over, falling short or going wide, are you changing ammo types in the GPS when the TC requests an ammo change?

If, like me, it is heat rounds going over every time by several hundred metres, remember that the M1A2 uses MPAT rather than HEAT, so select ammo 4 using the End key rather than using the usual key for HEAT (Delete)

Edit: oops beaten to it :-)

I have done the M1A1 tutorials and at the tank range I usually get 10/10 100%. I have been suffering badly from overshooting in the M1A2 Quick Mission but it's probably because I didn't know the M1A2 used MPAT and I was probably indexing HEAT, thanks for the heads up on that one Flying Penguin.

What you described Maj.Hans is exactly how I use the M1A1 GPS and I think it's how I am using the M1A2's GPS but I'm not 100% sure since I was getting pretty frustrated watching what I thought were my HEAT rounds keep overshooting the target by quite a bit. But thanks your explanation on the super zoom and what sight it works with I'm going back to the tank ranges and do some more practice. Thanks too all for your advice and answers it's greatly appreciated.

:drink: