Scrap Iron Bridge 1

Tango29

Has anyone got any insight into the aim of this scenario? As far as I can see, I have to keep enemy forces "east of the eastern bridge," thus keeping him from capturing them and a vital intersection just to the west.

Fine. I get reinforcements, and place them in defensive positions west of the bridge and facing east. I interlock the arcs of fire, keep a reserve, keep the CO alive...and nothing happens. I send out a recce vehicle: no contact. And another: no contact. In fact, apart from the initial dustup east of the bridge at startex, I see no enemy at all. At scenario end, no enemy on the bridges, and none at the intersection. Success, right? Wrong. I get scored a major defeat, no points, and a court martial. Worked hard, tried hard, failed miserably. But I don't know why. :confused:

The aim as stated in the briefing was met (or so it seems), but the score sure doesn't reflect the fact. So, any insight into this scenario will be gratefully received.

Don't think so. Initially, I have two platoons east of the bridges I'm supposed to defend. As soon as I go to "Start," I get hammered by at least two AI tank companies that appear right along the east edge of the map. I try to get as many of my vehicles back across the bridges, but usually only about two or three make it. Then my reinforcements start to show up, so I deploy them to cover the bridges, as they are the only crossing point available to the enemy. As well, two triggers set off two ambushes in the area of the bridges, and artillery covers the bridge area. Only problem is, the bad guys don't show up.

The briefing makes no mention of any requirement for me to take the offense back across the bridges: defend the road junction, and "ideally" keep the Luddites east of the easternmost bridge. In fact, I sent one vehicle down there for recce, and found that he could not get back across the easternmost bridge: the roadway had "separated" from the bridge proper, and he kept butting up against the bridge structure, unable to climb the four foot rise. Perhaps the AI "senses" this obstacle and will not advance...

I'll probably run the scenario again with a view to going over to the offensive when I get about a company's worth of tanks (assuming that the bridges are passable), just to test it out.