The most stupid things in SB PRO PE, funny thread.

macieksoft

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Volcano, i never called this thing "a bug". I just was wondering why trees in SB PRO PE are more dangerous than IEDs in real life.

I must check other speeds, cause i know that when i riding 50kph in SB there is about 100% probability of die.

Must check 40, 30 and even 20kph.

Why i advancing trought forests? Sometimes its only way of advance, sometimes i must eliminate enemy inside it and i do not have infantry under my command... Its reather question to a mission deisgner, cause i doing it if i have no choice and there is no other way.

EDIT: I finally did a experiment, i was crashing with trees in SB PRO PR to check how vehicles and crew will behave

First try: Centauro hit the tree at 30kph, 2 crewmans died.

Secound try: M1A2 SEP was driving with a constant speed 40kph, cruched some trees then stopped on one tree, 1 crewman died.

Third try: BRDM-2 hit tree at about 35kph, nobody died but of course antenna was cut.

Fourth try: HUMVEE hit the tree at about 35-40kph All four wheels was damaged, other parts survived without problems but vehicle was unable to move at all. Its not normal that single tree destroyed all four wheels without even hitting one of it.

Relatively safe (not killing crew) crash speeds in SB PRO PE:

Centauro: 27kph (multiple hits and only small damages like smoke grenades or antenna).

M1A2 SEP: 30-35 kph (damages same as in Centauro).

BRDM-2: 35kph.

HMMWV: About 30kph.

In a passenger car, I'd rather hit a tree than have an IED go off close by. In a tank or IFV, I'd rather face the IED.

It has to do with how the force transfers. While a few wraps of det cord may sever a decent-sized tree, a couple of pounds of C4 placed fairly close by will not. The blast has to be in almost direct contact with the tree, and you use multiple wraps of det cord to cause the plane of the explosive force to be perpendicular to the trunk, so that little of the force is wasted.

When the mass of an armored vehicle absorbs the blast of an IED, only residual energy gets through to the crew. Truly effective IEDs are really crude shaped charges that penetrate the weaker bottom armor of the vehicle. The crew is injured or killed because the blast actually gets inside the vehicle, and direct exposure to even a small part of such a blast is deadly.

Also remember that an IED blast is almost instantaneous. You need an ultra-fast camera to see the motion of the wave. A person or civilian automobile exposed directly to it takes tremendous damage in that tiny amount of time, but an armored vehicle hull will still absorb the vast amount of that blast. The AFV might shudder, but it will rarely be thrown.

By comparison, the impact of a tank against an sizable tree is spread out over a much longer time. Still a fraction of a second, but much longer. The tree has time to flex a bit and absorb the full momentum of the tank without breaking. What about the people inside the vehicle, though? They fly into the hard interior of the vehicle at the full speed of the impact. The tank has decelerated by 10s of MPH by the time they hit, and that impact is enough for serious injury. This is why some states in the USA now make it illegal to have anything sitting on the back shelf in passenger cars. A simple paperback book thrown forward in a collision can cause serious injury if it strikes a passenger in the back of the head.

I just was wondering why trees in SB PRO PE are more dangerous than IEDs in real life.

'cause in real life tank crews are not stupid enough to hit a tree deliberately or not. If you do that in SB you can question yourself wether you had to go that quick in such area...

I must check other speeds, cause i know that when i riding 50kph in SB there is about 100% probability of die.

Facepalm_227785.jpg

Why i advancing trought forests? Sometimes its only way of advance, sometimes i must eliminate enemy inside it and i do not have infantry under my command... Its reather question to a mission deisgner, cause i doing it if i have no choice and there is no other way.

If I were the mission designer I would reduce the traction in wooded areas to teach you that in real life you don't go 50Km/H...

Fourth try: HUMVEE hit the tree at about 35-40kph All four wheels was damaged, other parts survived without problems but vehicle was unable to move at all. Its not normal that single tree destroyed all four wheels without even hitting one of it.

That's just a simulation don't take it for real. Consider you managed to break the axles...

Well, I learned quite a bit by reading what some of the veterans here have gone through when carefully navigating forests and such with armored vehicles. It's an eye opening experience when you come from an arcade game and sit down to try and learn how it's really done using a simulator.

At least we haven't opened the other can of worms regarding tanks driving through houses yet. smiley_abused.gif

Hint: Some houses can have basements, so you don't really want to risk your 60+ ton vehicle taking a nosedive through the living room floor into a basement.

Well, I learned quite a bit by reading what some of the veterans here have gone through when carefully navigating forests and such with armored vehicles. It's an eye opening experience when you come from an arcade game and sit down to try and learn how it's really done using a simulator.

At least we haven't opened the other can of worms regarding tanks driving through houses yet. smiley_abused.gif

Hint: Some houses can have basements, so you don't really want to risk your 60+ ton vehicle taking a nosedive through the living room floor into a basement.

Had something like this in Muntser.

Luckily I just watched from the range-control tower. 4 tanks slowly advancing.

The an eye blink later...3 tanks advancing. Number 3 had "found" and old bunker=3m deep hole in the ground an just dropped in. All crew member injured...thank god no irreversible damage.

Might be a bit difficult to dig the crew out with a house on top of them. :S

• Members
So you mean "antennas are not flexible at all"? I mean VHF antennas that should be flexible like real ones, i don't mean UHF antennas that are often not flexible (but UHF ones are mostly in new vehicles in example to communicate with EPLRS) so M1A2 should have (it has FBCB2) one but older vehicles that have only VHF radio should have flexible VHF antennas.

Notice that in reality even broken antenna will provide very short range communication (actually tried that with CB radios whitch are VHF wavelenght and 433MHz RF modules whitch are UHF).

I don't mean that tree cannot damage antennas at all, but in SB PRO PE its happens often, maybe too often.

We were inching through dense forest/bushes in our APC and after a while we noticed that one antenna was stripped out of its base mount by all the branches and on the ground a couple 100 meters behind the vehicle.. maybe it was already loosened or the vibrations did it.. anyway, while it was flexible and while it didn't break we were left without functional radio..

It means the radio isn't working. :D

It's just a generic, non-specific failure. You might say an antenna got knocked loose or off, or someone fell over and broke their headset cable, or broke a knob off the radio, or whatever.

It is the same with the crew, there's no difference between "the loader got both hands sliced up by shrapnel when that HE round hit, but is otherwise ok" and "the loader got a sabot through the skull", he's still disabled.

It means the radio isn't working. :D

It's just a generic, non-specific failure. You might say an antenna got knocked loose or off, or someone fell over and broke their headset cable, or broke a knob off the radio, or whatever.

It is the same with the crew, there's no difference between "the loader got both hands sliced up by shrapnel when that HE round hit, but is otherwise ok" and "the loader got a sabot through the skull", he's still disabled.

LOL,I know that but I am asking because I do not know what function the radio plays in game.I can still communicate to other tanks is what I mean.

LOL,I know that but I am asking because I do not know what function the radio plays in game.I can still communicate to other tanks is what I mean.

Not realy, the mapicon of the "radio damaged vehicle" will no longer update its position.

Also when you are on board such a vehicle, you will not be able to call fire missions from the arty anymore.

• Moderators
@Volcano, i never called this thing "a bug". I just was wondering why trees in SB PRO PE are more dangerous than IEDs in real life.

Must check 40, 30 and even 20kph.

This is a misstatement. One problem is that you are not being specific. Are we talking about tanks or are we talking about light vehicles? Apparently you were first talking about tanks, but are now talking about HMMWVs. These are two totally different classes of vehicles which behave differently.

To say that a tree in SB is more destructive than an IED is just plain wrong and you should know that if you really tried some IED detonations on your end. If we are talking about tanks: an IED, if it detonates under the vehicle, will cause a long list of damages (maybe 10 or 15 items) and the vehicle is essentially destroyed. Both tracks are missing, just about every component is disabled, the vehicle is useless unless it is towed back to a repair area. A tree on the other hand may cause superficial damage to a tank, or a crew injury, depending on the speed in which the tank is travelling and the mass of said tank. In this case, once it happens you can usually just send over a medic and 10 minutes later the tank is back in action. This is a far cry different from IEDs.

If we are talking about trucks: an IED will kill a HMMWV if it detonates under the vehicle. If it hits a tree at high speed, then yes, it will suffer automotive damages, and even lose its engine. Crew casualties may also be suffered, but on a whole it will suffer greater damage than a tank will from said impact because mass is less than a tank, so less able to plow over things, and speed is greater. The damage types should not be considered literally, they are abstractions when it comes to automotive and "radio" damages especially. Wheel damage could be a blown out tire, broken axle, wheels missing, wheels knocked out of alignment, who knows.

IED detonations that are NOT directly under nor in close proximity of the vehicle will cause superficial damage however, very similar to tree impact damage, but this is due to fact that they are only causing "splash damage".

So, if you are going to sarcastically complain then you should be more specific, otherwise you are just exaggerating for effect. ;)

Edited by Volcano
typo

More importantly, no enemy map updates to and from the dead radio tank.

However, if you jump to that tank and get an updated location of an enemy that it can currently see and then jump back to another tank the update carries over, i.e. there isn't a separate map for each unit.

• Moderators
However, if you jump to that tank and get an updated location of an enemy that it can currently see and then jump back to another tank the update carries over, i.e. there isn't a separate map for each unit.

Yes, but if you are going to do this every time you want to update your map then you have been sufficiently punished for radio damage. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
You can dial back the sarcasm a few notches, please. It would be a far more productive use of time if you, rather than

.....SNIP LARGE AMOUNT OF INFORMATIVE INFORMATION .......

h plays it safe.

-------------

Damn that was very informative and classy :luxhello:

For those of you confused as to why crew members will take damage when a tank comes to a sudden stop, perhaps a refresher on Newton's Laws will assist:

First law: When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either is at rest or moves at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

Second law: The acceleration of a body is directly proportional to, and in the same direction as, the net force acting on the body, and inversely proportional to its mass. Thus, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration of the object.

Third law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to that of the first body.

(ref:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newton3laws.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion)

The first law explain why a crew member will take damage. In other words, an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Thus, if the tank hits a tree and slows the tree is the 'external force', for the crew member(s) the tank is the 'external force'.

The second law will explain how much force will be applied to them when they collide with an object that is 'moving' at a different velocity from their reference frame. I.E. why it hurts when you hit something and how much it will hurt.

The third law explains why the tank moves imperceptibly forward when you hit it, and why you rebound off the tank at an ever so slightly slower velocity than you hit it because your bashed in face absorbed some of the energy.

Or, for real life, watch some of the Russian dash cam crashes and watch people who don't have the benefit of seat belts to help them decelerate when their car does. Or crash test dummies. Just remember, cars have crumple zones to allow more time to decelerate the crew compartment of the vehicle, and that dash board is softer too.