The most stupid things in SB PRO PE, funny thread.

macieksoft

And if im driving trought a forest in SB 15 kph im safe? It would not break anything? Even antennas?

Depends on the forest.

IRL hitting the right kind of tree at 15 kph can be really nice.

May I suggest a little experiment. Imagine you as the gunner.

Get 2 pairs of binoculars...take one, look trough it and accelerate towards a wall till you reach 15 kph. Then hit the wall binos 1st without decelerating.

If the binoculars a broken, take a new pair if not, use the same...and try to spot something with it.

Tell us how it went, if possible post pictures.

edit:

...you may also try at 5 kph first to simulate hitting a smaller tree. 30% speed loss in that case are easily reached....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you need to make multiple units with same parameters (same ammo, same optional weapons etc.) the easiest way to do it would be copy and paste.

I hoping to see copy and paste feature in editor.

you can just put them on map...mark them all and change the settings on all units at one time.

No need to wait for it :-D

Why the tank crew is more vunerable than a car driver?

Well the tank crew most likely is not wearing the seat belts, even though they should.

Second the car has airbags, anti locking breaks, and a lot of soft spots to collide into for said crew members.

I have seen it described that in such situations the inside of a tank is full of blunt and edged weapons.

Hmm, but one point though.

In earlier SB versions one was able to slowly crush/push over tree. I used it for example to clear my field of fire for the TOW.

Is that still in V 3.002?? can recall ???

Yep still crushable and replaced by a random bush (greenpeace would be proud of it! :bigsmile:).

SB's missing quite a few things honestly. There's no healing kits, and no pudding and tea or cases of cola to boost the crews skill. For that matter, there's virtually no crew skills at all, not even a sixth sense perk to let you know if you've been spotted! What the heck is wrong with this game?!

;)

While at first I was skeptical of the ease that crewmen get injured upon hitting things I now agree with it after reading this thread.It made me recall that in the early days of the evolution of racing cars they had the mindset of making the frame as strong as possible.They soon found that strong cars meant all the energy of the crash was sent to the driver and hence the crushable frames of today.Tanks are rock solid so all energy translate!

Yep, thats exactly what i mean, in reality some trees will deform and some will just break. Abrams weights 70t so it should have enough inertia to break some of trees in SB PRO PE.

And i wondering why trees can damage VHF antennas? Antennas should be flexible, but in SB PRO PE even while driving not too fast i can damage them.

And if im driving trought a forest in SB 15 kph im safe? It would not break anything? Even antennas?

Also notice that weight of towed vehicle do not affects towing speed. Tractor that towing Abrams tank will do it as fast as tractor that towing HMMWV. Notice that in this movie only the first tractor had engine turned on.

What world are you from:confused:, "driving through trees should not break antennas?:luxhello:

Have you ever operated a AFV? and how old are you ,really?:confused:

• Moderators

Please read carefully bro ;) Not on anything, but on some armored vehicles (mostly more advanced IFVs) that can be defeated with 30mm from BMD-2 whitch uses same gun correctly.

Well, bro, I was making a statement from my own observations in the past. It is an AI problem with the 2A42 30mm gun with ATGM combination in general (AI refuses to use 30mm HE on troops, and always uses ATGM instead of KE 30mm until ATGM is exhausted -- it even sits in the face of the enemy and reloads ATGM even when the 30mm KE could eliminate a threat instead). The fact that the BMD-2 seems like it is using it properly is because it has far fewer ATGMs and exhausts them sooner. The point is that it is valid, known, complicated and on the to-fix list.

What world are you from:confused:, "driving through trees should not break antennas?:luxhello:

Have you ever operated a AFV? and how old are you ,really?:confused:

So you mean "antennas are not flexible at all"? I mean VHF antennas that should be flexible like real ones, i don't mean UHF antennas that are often not flexible (but UHF ones are mostly in new vehicles in example to communicate with EPLRS) so M1A2 should have (it has FBCB2) one but older vehicles that have only VHF radio should have flexible VHF antennas.

Notice that in reality even broken antenna will provide very short range communication (actually tried that with CB radios whitch are VHF wavelenght and 433MHz RF modules whitch are UHF).

I don't mean that tree cannot damage antennas at all, but in SB PRO PE its happens often, maybe too often.

Im already 19, and im interested in many things including electronics so i know something about antennas.

While at first I was skeptical of the ease that crewmen get injured upon hitting things I now agree with it after reading this thread.It made me recall that in the early days of the evolution of racing cars they had the mindset of making the frame as strong as possible.They soon found that strong cars meant all the energy of the crash was sent to the driver and hence the crushable frames of today.Tanks are rock solid so all energy translate!

The crew are not strapped in, there are no air bags and the interior is not padded with deformable plastic. How many TCs have busted ribs on their turret rings I wonder? I would put money on lots.

The crew are not strapped in, there are no air bags and the interior is not padded with deformable plastic. How many TCs have busted ribs on their turret rings I wonder? I would put money on lots.

But driver sits in different position than other crew members and sometimes in SB PRO PE only driver (whitch is a bit safer than other crewmembers) gets injured. Its strange IMO.

So do you have any tips for me how to go trought trees safer. I know that i should advance slowly, but what about mineplow? It can breech some obstacles but how it works against trees in SB PRO PE? I'm not sure it will give any help in real life but how its modelled in SB?

And i heared multiple times about soldiers who survived after their vehicles was blown up by a mine (i mean mine that have "regular" charge, not shaped charge). It sometimes happens in Afganistan. Sometimes those charges are really strong and can throw vehicle away, its worse than tree impact, but its less dangerous?

So you mean "antennas are not flexible at all"? I mean VHF antennas that should be flexible like real ones, i don't mean UHF antennas that are often not flexible (but UHF ones are mostly in new vehicles in example to communicate with EPLRS) so M1A2 should have (it has FBCB2) one but older vehicles that have only VHF radio should have flexible VHF antennas.

Notice that in reality even broken antenna will provide very short range communication (actually tried that with CB radios whitch are VHF wavelenght and 433MHz RF modules whitch are UHF).

I don't mean that tree cannot damage antennas at all, but in SB PRO PE its happens often, maybe too often.

Im already 19, and im interested in many things including electronics so i know something about antennas.

I can't remember 19:bigsmile:, but I do know I was full of shit back then, I have become a bit wiser I would hope.:1:

OK, they are flexible in the fact they will move within their design range. Note that most are tie down due to hitting low street wires, and they can break.After all they are (the most of them) are fiberglass with a copper type inner. They will break,and they do.That is why we carry spares within the AFV. AS for broken ants working over short distances, well our lives and others depend on comms. We fix broken ants asap, and have other SOP's in place of no comms/broken parts. But we know that going into to a forest or similar obstacles will damage things on our AFV's, so we are trained for this, and how to avoid such issues.

As for hitting trees,well you will have to take/or not take our word on this.Many here have posted their tales of such things happening to them, their crew, and the AFV. ARMA or BF whatever are games, they do not model the real world to a large extent. We have told you how this works, it's up to you to do some research to find out what is real or not. No matter how many hours of BF/ARMA can give you the real deal. We can only tell what we know about driving through trees, if you choose not to listen, well that's your problem, most here have the scars to backup what we post.

SB Pro simulates this ground warfare to a higher degree than the others, if you choose not to believe this then it's your issue, not the sims. I have been the simulation world for over 20 years with the forces, this is the highest degree of reality you can use bar none,even multi million (yes I have used them) sims don't come close to the features and usability this sim does for the money and realism. Are there thing to be improved, sure.This as you may already know is not a perfect word, and things can always be better. Take a look 10 years ago for yourself.

Posting that things are "funny" does nothing to improve or offer a better way:(. We have a forum link for the issues you posted, usually under a better heading/topic.

Enjoy the sim for what it is intended to be used for, to teach, as we are trying to put to you.:wink2:

Try joining us online to see how we use the Sim, you may get a better understanding.:wink2:

• Moderators
But driver sits in different position than other crew members and sometimes in SB PRO PE only driver (whitch is a bit safer than other crewmembers) gets injured. Its strange IMO.

So do you have any tips for me how to go trought trees safer. I know that i should advance slowly, but what about mineplow? It can breech some obstacles but how it works against trees in SB PRO PE? I'm not sure it will give any help in real life but how its modelled in SB?

It doesn't matter, no one is immune from injury on a tank in real life. Sure, perhaps the driver, given how he sits in a specific vehicle, is 10% less likely to suffer injury, but that is not modeled.

The best way to be careful around trees is stop driving at top speed through forests. If you keep the speed at slow or fast then the AI driver will usually avoid them on his own, or if you still hit a tree at those slower speeds (depending on size, and your own vehicles MASS_TONS) then it will likely not cause damage. Just think: the faster you go, the more damage you may cause when you hit an immovable object because the fleshy meat bags inside will fly around at a higher velocity.

The preferred method is to give a platoon a march route, column formation through a forest on any speed other than Top Speed.

Like all others he is looking out/over the body. He can, and will hit his face/head on the AFV if he is not careful:c:.

As a rule stay out of forest. You can't see out, but others can see you in them, not a good situation. If needed to traverse a forest, best to do with a inf screen in front of you for recce/ protection. Tanks are designed for long range engagements, they work best in the open where their wpn system and optics come into play:gun:.

Ok, so i should advance slowly and wait for antennas to break ;)

Unfortunatelly there are no spare antennas in SB PRO PE... And unfortunatelly i must often advance trought forests.

So lets die in forests, trees are the biggest threat, much worse than ATGM missiles (even weak Centauro can survive a hit from some of them).

OK i will accept it and die die die a lot ;)

Unfortunatelly there are no spare antennas in SB PRO PE... And unfortunatelly i must often advance trought forests.

So lets die in forests, trees are the biggest threat, much worse than ATGM missiles (even weak Centauro can survive a hit from some of them).

That brings it down to one question, why the hell do you want to move through forests anyway.

Forests are no tank country. Well placed infantry will rip your tank platoon to shreds in no time. (Ok, In SB the infantry a not very good at that. There is room for improvement here)

• Moderators

There it is. Do you really want advice or are you just here to gripe? Stop wasting everyone's time asking questions if you don't really want to learn. Otherwise, everyone here is more than helpful to explain how it works and why (provided something isn't a bug, of course).

All I'm going to say is that forests have trees and bushes in them.

Trees and bushes can have infantry in them or behind them.

Infantry can have anti-tank weapons with them.

Infantry hiding in a forest of trees with anti-armor weapons are why we have artillery and napalm so that tanks don't need to go into the forest of trees and infantry with anti-tank weapons.

Regarding trees... Just learn to hate them as I did; I'm much happier now.

Awww, Don't be like that Homer.... :(

After all they make a great Inert Armour. (Only works on HE & HEAT rounds without delayed fuses.)

I have lost antenna with low branch hit, just cutting the antenna at base. At the same moment, an unbuttoned driver of an IFV had been injured by a low branch that perforated its helmet and skull, bending the coax MG tube
Ow. Was he OK?
That brings it down to one question, why the hell do you want to move through forests anyway.

Forests are no tank country. Well placed infantry will rip your tank platoon to shreds in no time. (Ok, In SB the infantry a not very good at that. There is room for improvement here)

Oh Really? :)

With regard to hitting stuff allow me to elaborate on something.

Sitting in the gunner's position in a Challenger 2.

The one thing you will notice above anything else is the GPS assembly.

This thing is the size of a large breezeblock and weighs 5 times as much.

It is 6" in front of your face.

Also when imagining sitting in the gunners seat, sit with your feet square on the floor, your hands on your knees and your elbows tucked in, this is the space you get as a gunner.

Above your hands & knees is the GPS, Next to your shoulders, is the gun on the left (Big block of hardened steel the size of a large V-8 Engine, flex your elbow out till its comfortable and it'll hit the gun shield straight after you start flexing) on the right is the turret wall with the intercom and gunner's computer panel, this time a little further away at 4-6" (Just about operable with your right hand.) And behind you is the commander who may decide to arbitrarily knee you in the back of the head at any given moment.

You get the same space allocation as the back seat of a small family hatch back sized car.

(Not quite super mini sized but not far off either.)

Tanks are not roomy spaces, they may look large on the outside, but the internal volume is taken up by Armour and equipment which often have blunt edges.

So with relevance to SB, sit in a 3D gunners position with the F1 eye view open, looking at the GPS sight aperture, now place the monitor so it is just touching your nose, that is how far away the GPS assembly actually is.

So onto the subject of hitting trees, taking what has been said above:

Imagine sitting in a padded chair with no room to manoeuvre and someone throwing a 500kg lump of steel the size of a breeze block at you at 30Kph and tell me if you walk away from it.

If I need to knock trees down.

I stop.

Assess the tree.

And then proceed to push it over and no more than slow speed.

The one thing you will notice above anything else is the GPS assembly.

This thing is the size of a large breezeblock and weighs 5 times as much.

...someone throwing a 500kg lump of steel the size of a breeze block at you...

I have the feeling that your post is going to make much more sense to me, just as soon as I figure out what this "breezeblock" is of which you speak.

Based solely upon it's name, I assume it's some kind of object or "block" that has something to do with breezes......Perhaps it's a kind of door stop used to hold doors open on 'breezy' days?

lot of blood inside the driver compartiment, but the brain was not damaged, he survived without after-effects.

in 1999, I fall at 50km/h into a tank emplacement during a demo. The tank fall from 1.50, then jumper 3m over the ground beforeto hit it hard a second time.The tank suffered no damage, as did the driver (who had his seat belt) and the gunner. But I hit the TC eyepiece with the head.

When they opened the TC hatch, I was unconscious, the body over the backrest. My body had traveled into my little crew position.

The result was a head trauma, 2 cervical vertebra displaced, a dosal vertebra cracked...

Sometimes, the result is a hard landing, but witout damage:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mlut_tranchee_auto

lot of blood inside the driver compartiment, but the brain was not damaged, he survived without after-effects.

in 1999, I fall at 50km/h into a tank emplacement during a demo. The tank fall from 1.50, then jumper 3m over the ground beforeto hit it hard a second time.The tank suffered no damage, as did the driver (who had his seat belt) and the gunner. But I hit the TC eyepiece with the head.

When they opened the TC hatch, I was unconscious, the body over the backrest. My body had traveled into my little crew position.

The result was a head trauma, 2 cervical vertebra displaced, a dosal vertebra cracked...

Sometimes, the result is a hard landing, but witout damage:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mlut_tranchee_auto

Had something like this in Muntser.

Luckily I just watched from the range-control tower. 4 tanks slowly advancing.

The an eye blink later...3 tanks advancing. Number 3 had "found" and old bunker=3m deep hole in the ground an just dropped in. All crew member injured...thank god no irreversible damage.