M1A2 Gunnery Question

lavictoireestlavie

Also it's time for you to put your money where your mouth is. I challenge you to join one of our sections hth missions. Mission includes no map updates, tanks are blind, no arty, you choose what vehicle that you want to use, 6 by 6 map with mines all around the boundaries. Lets see how you really fight a tank

Excellent, that's how gentlemen do it. A duel at dawn :-) Do you need seconds?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

delta,

I would have thought someone with 10 years military experience would react to little gentle ribbing with more grace than this.

At no point did TJay claim he is better than you, quite the opposite in fact. The more you stand here like the bully in the playground that has been baffled by how words have hurt him, the less of a mature human being you look like. Bringing up you true military record is in even more bad taste.

moderators please stop this now.

Also it's time for you to put your money where your mouth is. I challenge you to join one of our sections hth missions. Mission includes no map updates, tanks are blind, no arty, you choose what vehicle that you want to use, 6 by 6 map with mines all around the boundaries. Lets see how you really fight a tank

Go one step more do it in T-62,s and soviet VU will take on the challenge.

Then can we put this to bed and move on,

On the understanding its not a grudge match by either VU.

We can ask a neutral forum member to pick a map.

One company each side no Arty no map updates all tanks on blind.

We have guys in here that could hit targets at 7000 meters in HTH missions.

Wow. :eek2:

I have problems engaging point like targets with the M1A1 at 3000-4000 m. :c:

With the SEP its a littlebit better becouse the 50x zoom, but it looks like the shells impacting various in an area. No matter if I lase first return or last return.

How they manage to do the 7km shoot?

OK - this thread has gone on way off the rails. Please either get it back on topic, or carry on in PMs or emails.

Agree 100%. I withdrew in accordance with your very reasonable 'cease and desist' request several posts ago and the matter is now closed as far as I'm concerned. I don't know why dta delta got so riled over what was a good natured leg pull over him losing 3 x MIA2 SEPs in OpVar4 - 1 to an rpg, another (IIRC) to a CV90, and I don't care either.

Homer, et al,

Unsure if this is possible (or compliant with free speech, etc.) but can we delete posts 21 and beyond from here?

The first part seemed useful / informative but then it went "pear shaped", certainly off topic at least.

Don't know if you need to get agreement from the various people who posted from 21 onwards inclusive (via PM or something?) but its probably not in line with the image of a helpful, friendly, community etc?

I am happy for any of my posts to be deleted if it will defuse the situation. In fact, I'll do it myself. Sigh.

Go one step more do it in T-62,s and soviet VU will take on the challenge.

Then can we put this to bed and move on,

On the understanding its not a grudge match by either VU.

We can ask a neutral forum member to pick a map.

One company each side no Arty no map updates all tanks on blind.

Sorry Marko, if you want to rise to the bait (I don't think you should, personally) it will be without me. The matter is closed as far as I'm concerned, and I'm quite happy for the community to come to its own conclusions as to who has behaved reasonably, and who has not.

With the SEP its a littlebit better becouse the 50x zoom, but it looks like the shells impacting various in an area. No matter if I lase first return or last return.

G-vill in fact hit me at 7k during a Friday night battle so yes it has happen for you who don't believe.

Edited by dta delta

Sorry Marko, if you want to rise to the bait (I don't think you should, personally) it will be without me. The matter is closed as far as I'm concerned, and I'm quite happy for the community to come to its own conclusions as to who has behaved reasonably, and who has not.

It should have been closed last night by sean

Here is a shot from a mission done in the 3rd armored 2 days ago made by myself at 6400 meters at a enemy PC. So yeah you can believe what you read.

SS_17_13_43.jpg.f1b6b637a4d7ec1704572327

SS_17_13_43.jpg.f1b6b637a4d7ec1704572327

Christ if your eyesight is good enough to pick out any detail in that tiny image, no wonder you are gods gift to the world of SB gunnery,

we bow down and salute the glorious human being you are.

Still got yourself blind sided in Op Variable though, maybe start looking for targets a little bit closer than 7km.

p.s. i rate my own SB abilities at below average so before you start chomping at the bit to have me strung up and gunned down by a rampant platoon of M1A2s...

let it go, no one should take this game that seriously!

bd0798e9201dee9cd23c5dfafc5f93d17f0b6e45ebe787fa4e86ce474789c975.jpg

In all seriousness, there's some sessions I've played where I do really well, luck and my own caution sometimes plays a part, but caution sometimes makes me miss a good opportunity to win the day sometimes. And other times I'm smashed so horribly I'm embarrassed to let anyone know my state of the art tank was turned into a 62 ton paperweight by a bikini model in a Toyota pickup. lol.

It's a learning tool, and if you learn from your losses, your better for it.

Delta, you really should make a tutorial for how to hit targets out to such extensive ranges, it's a pretty enviable feat. As well as your average engagement time.

I do sort of think it would be fun if the community resolved some disputes with a fun tank duel, we used to do that in other online games years ago.

I imagine it'd look something like this:

lobster-knife-fight.jpg

But they were always fun for the community to watch, and both parties were respected for resolving things that way.

Edited by Invader ZIM

Here is a shot from a mission done in the 3rd armored 2 days ago made by myself at 6400 meters at a enemy PC. So yeah you can believe what you read.

No offense of my part. I didn't mean it that way.

I find it intresting and I tried the 7km shoot with the SEP. I manage to shoot (experienced after about 20 rounds and corrections) near the target about 50m, but thats it.

The target was another SEP, fully hull exposed to the side, flat terrian. Perfect conditions.

I entered max range 5000 to the ballistic computer, switched to 50x zoom, targeted the SEP, switching back to 10x zoom and elevated the gun so that the target's top is visible via the thermal eyesight (see picture). That way it can be a "near miss".

http://www.kephost.com/images4/2014/1/12/a1_2014_1_12_pm7iyk6jjn.jpg

To correct the 50m miss shoot, it needs so thiny, so smooth elevation adjust that I can't do it (I used a saitek x52pro joy). Maybe manual crancking the gun elvataion with the cursor arrows??

I think it is luck if anyone hit the target that far.

But shooting at 5-6km it is possible just need to experience it. Of course it needs more than one shot.

But I think I stay to max 5km to engage with the SEP.

:drink:

• Members

I've posted a table in the past where you index HEAT and type in a manual range which is equivalent in gun elevation to what the real range would require for a sabot, e.g. 2400m HEAT for a 5000m APFSDS shot (I've totally made up these numbers, just as an example).

This way you can keep the target centered in your sights. You only adjust the manual range, never your aim point (unless you're also correcting for crosswind or so, in which case you only correct for the horizontal drift).

That procedure quite obviously works only for static targets that are sufficiently vulnerable to APFSDS at long range.

I've posted a table in the past where you index HEAT and type in a manual range which is equivalent in gun elevation to what the real range would require for a sabot, e.g. 2400m HEAT for a 5000m APFSDS shot (I've totally made up these numbers, just as an example).

This way you can keep the target centered in your sights. You only adjust the manual range, never your aim point (unless you're also correcting for crosswind or so, in which case you only correct for the horizontal drift).

That procedure quite obviously works only for static targets that are sufficiently vulnerable to APFSDS at long range.

Yes it does. ; ) the chart works well.