Challenger1 Tank SIm

Stuart666

Ah yes... terrible user interface, limited functionality... Makes me feel like I'm back at ITEC 2009.

I kid you not. There were some really shocking looking (and probably huuuugely expensive) procedural trainers tucked away. You have no idea how spoilt you are with Arma/VBS2 and SB ProPE. :biggrin:

Also some weird 'second-life' avatar stuff for classroom training which leaves me equally cold. It might have something to do with a few measures of spirits and a couple of glasses of wine, but I'm still not sure what the supposed advantage of that one was?

Your not kidding, Prior to joining the RDG's my initial crewman training was done at Catterick on the Chieftain back in 89, the gunnery Training was done on the most basic Trainer Going little Metal Models being moved about like a Tin Can Alley but it was to get you used to the eclipses moving about a physical way of getting to grip with new stuff. The Drivers Trainer was just a Camera moving across a Model Like piece of Terrain. However after running through all the Drills in the Sim We got to let a whole bunch of real live rounds off a Warcop Ranges, It is utterly amazing what a APFDS round can do to a Sheep:) As the farmer would let all the old Mutton wonder around the ranges for the compensation. Things had changed a lot by the time I left.

Cmdr Fin Tank On, Gnr On Loader Loading Gnr Target Loader Loaded Gnr Firing Now Gnr Target Stop

But the main use of the sims was to produce best possible Sync and load times in the Turret. The rounds were in tubes around the loader, The Loader had the Physically Challenging job as you would have to Switch 2 safety switches off to each side of you, Throw down the Breach of the 120mm Then get round wack it up then get charge wack it up a small round to trigger the charge would have to go in to the breach then wack a catch Breach Flys Up pull back the Gun Guard then switch on the two safety switches and shout Loaded.

It was the Gunners role to think on the Fly Recalculations for Target Go On's using the Sliding Scale in the Sights. You just prayed that you would never have to use TOGS in a Battle as it was very limited and badly placed, After all your drills turning your head to the Right just made it feel all wrong.

A Loader and Gunner are one and the same thing with the acceptation of Advanced Radio work, But most Regiments Full Crewman everyone within weeks of a soldier being placed with them. I always preferred the Drivers role as the Tank kind of becomes your baby, And when the driver screws up no one can kick him in the back of the head.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic