Urban fights

borisz

Hi Everyone!

I still learning armored warfare in SB.

What is the tactics to fight in urbanised areas with tanks, apc + infantry? Does these tactics work in SB too?

THX!

You will have to provide more information on the type of mission it will be .peacekeeping, Assault, defence etc

What equipment do you intend to use. Are there civilians in the mission.

What are the rules of engagement.

Yes urban tactics definitely do work in SB. Its probably the most brutal form of warfare

Edited by Marko

• Members

Well, restrictive rules of engagement - especially for computer-controlled units - are so cumbersome to implement that I wouldn't call it feasible (simply on grounds of practicality). Also, I think that a number of other elements are missing. We'll gradually add them to SB Pro; we certainly do not intend to keep our software functionally limited to what it can currently do. But right now you can have combat also with lots of buildings around, but not really what I'd call "urban warfare" ... at least not with anything but low or medium fidelity.

You will have to provide more information on the type of mission it will be .peacekeeping, Assault, defence etc

What equipment do you intend to use. Are there civilians in the mission.

What are the rules of engagement.

Yes urban tactics definitely do work in SB. Its probably the most brutal form of warfare

Clear the city from enemy infantry and some well placed hardware. Sneaky tanks in the city in battlepositions in ditches. AA guns in the city.

Civilians: some

Reduce colleterial damage to civilian buildings. (dont turn the city to a smoking junktown like in Syria)

Secondary task is to clear any road barricades, and perhaps clear streets if they mined.

You have M1a2 sep and M2 +infantry, some humwee, support and engineeri units.

Smoke, HE and ICM support.

Scenario is something like in Fallujah?

Edited by borisz

Okay,

so what would be the best tactic in SB to accomplise this?

Terrain is basicly flat desert, Saud-Arabi Khafji like city.

Assault battalion is starting outskirts of the city about 5 km.

The main roads from the city is all blocked with light armored units, to prevent the enemy escape. Controlled by AI.

So the assault:

That's what I have in my mind.

Scout with humwee? Perhaps the first contact will kill them.

Sending in infantry, going house to house following the streets, leaving PC behind for long range fire support. Securing the PC with infantry. Advancing with it if the path is decleared safe.

Tanks staying behind too. If enemy armor has spotted, send it in.

As the battalion advance deeper in the city, leaving some infantry behind at key locations where they can observe and guard the once cleared area.

?

Infantry squads don't work very well in urban combat. Hopefully eSim can improve this with their next patch.

The default line formation, and the fact that infantry get stuck on just about every object make it very hard maneuver infantry squads, let alone platoons.

The way infantry engage in combat also raises an eyebrow; they seem to have a very deliberate process of stopping, seeking, then finally engaging with very limited bursts of fire.

Infantry combat just isn't developed to the point of being able to conduct combined arms maneuver in urban settings.

Infantry combat just isn't developed to the point of being able to conduct combined arms maneuver in urban settings.

If you take the usual phases of an infantry assault:

approach=>assault=>break in=>confusion=> then hold off counterattack or fight into the dept.

With SB you are able to get till the phase: "confusion"...after that the squad get stuck somewhere or refuse to engage openly viable targets 8-)

Okay,

so what would be the best tactic in SB to accomplise this?

Terrain is basicly flat desert, Saud-Arabi Khafji like city.

Assault battalion is starting outskirts of the city about 5 km.

The main roads from the city is all blocked with light armored units, to prevent the enemy escape. Controlled by AI.

So the assault:

That's what I have in my mind.

Scout with humwee? Perhaps the first contact will kill them.

Sending in infantry, going house to house following the streets, leaving PC behind for long range fire support. Securing the PC with infantry. Advancing with it if the path is decleared safe.

Tanks staying behind too. If enemy armor has spotted, send it in.

As the battalion advance deeper in the city, leaving some infantry behind at key locations where they can observe and guard the once cleared area.

?

If you can edit the mission, Equip your inf with AGL teams and fifty cal teams.

You can jump to Gunners position your self if needs be.