NATO Defensive Frontage

enigma6584

Got a question for you guys. What would be the standard frontage a NATO force during the 1980s Cold War in Europe, on the defense, be responsible for?

That depends on what you mean by "force" and also the degree of prior warning had by NATO. The battalions and brigades of all NATO divisions in Europe were scattered about within FRG and, indeed, other countries. So, the extent to which any coherent (i.e., continuous) front could be formed, and, therefore, the amount of frontage each battalion, brigade, or division would be responsible for, would depend to a large extent on the degree to which NATO had warning of the attack and could get get the units out of their garrison areas and forward to their assigned positions.

The Soviets knew this would be problematic for NATO, and their doctrine assumed that the so-called "initial period of war" would be characterized by a noncontinuous front and nonlinear combat. Meeting engagements would be the most common type of battle. For their part, the NATO armies deployed a covering force of armored cavalry/recce units along the inner-German border to try to delay a Warsaw Pact advance.

I have read that, assuming NATO was able to get its immediately-available brigades on-line, including reinforcing brigades from the Netherlands and Belgium, brigade sectors would be 7-15 kilometers wide. Assuming 2 maneuver battalions defending forward and one in reserve, that works out to 3.5-7km frontage per bn. Note that the attack sector for a Soviet regiment was 3-5 km. Again, though, these NATO frontage norms assume that brigades are able to reach their assigned defensive positions quickly enough to form a continuous front.

I would also note that these force densities are much higher than you find in the typical SB mission.

I have read that, assuming NATO was able to get its immediately-available brigades on-line, including reinforcing brigades from the Netherlands and Belgium, brigade sectors would be 7-15 kilometers wide. Assuming 2 maneuver battalions defending forward and one in reserve, that works out to 3.5-7km frontage per bn. Note that the attack sector for a Soviet regiment was 3-5 km. Again, though, these NATO frontage norms assume that brigades are able to reach their assigned defensive positions quickly enough to form a continuous front.

I would also note that these force densities are much higher than you find in the typical SB mission.

That was what I was looking for. I was aware of the Soviet regiment frontage but have not read anything concrete regarding NATO. Thanks.