Deepest apologies to everyone

RedWardancer

Spent four hours yesterday with Astrid (UK) trying to figure out the connection problems. Here's what we accomplished:

Forwarded the ports in SB router.

Added SB to firewall exceptions, both incoming and outgoing.

Set up a static IP address.

Turned off all firewalls.

Came up with mixed results. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

We have concluded that the fault is in the router itself as Astrid was confident we did everything possible on our end.

Until I can fix this (knowing the USA cable companies, I doubt it), I don't think I can participate in any more online games. It really sucks to leave everyone else without a player after I would join in. Seeing how this happened three consecutive weekends, it's STRIKE THREE!!!

Therefore, I apologize to those in the TGIF games for my technical difficulties once a game got started. I'll get this fixed up soon as I can.

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for as many platoon and company level scenario downloads as possible.

Spent four hours yesterday with Astrid (UK) trying to figure out the connection problems. Here's what we accomplished:

Forwarded the ports in SB router.

Added SB to firewall exceptions, both incoming and outgoing.

Set up a static IP address.

Turned off all firewalls.

Came up with mixed results. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

We have concluded that the fault is in the router itself as Astrid was confident we did everything possible on our end.

Until I can fix this (knowing the USA cable companies, I doubt it), I don't think I can participate in any more online games. It really sucks to leave everyone else without a player after I would join in. Seeing how this happened three consecutive weekends, it's STRIKE THREE!!!

Therefore, I apologize to those in the TGIF games for my technical difficulties once a game got started. I'll get this fixed up soon as I can.

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for as many platoon and company level scenario downloads as possible.

Not sure, but I think the Beta version should solve your issues it does not require port forwarding unless your hosting

• Moderators

Well, there are many unknowns with your connection:

It seems like you have a cable connection. Do you have a modem and a router (two separate components), or just a modem with a built in router? If it is the latter, the quality of the modem+router combo is usually utter crapola, you should get a Linksys router or something like that, then put the modem in bridged mode so that it doesn't act as a router.

Preferably you shouldn't play through a wireless connection to your modem (from your computer to your modem/router), and especially shouldn't have a wireless internet connection (from your house to the outside world), or otherwise the connection will not be reliable enough.

Someone else can probably give better info...

Well if you have done all the fault finding listed above the next step is to forego the "flexibility" of a WiFi connection in your home and:

1. Turn OFF WiFi on your machine.

2. Run an Ethernet cable from your router to your machine.

Ethernet cable will support a connection of up to 100m from the Router to your machine so if they are in different locations you may just need to put up with a cable snaking through the house for a couple of hours on a Friday night (your time).

General point: WiFi is great for convenience but sh*t for reliability esp. for something that needs a bit of bandwidth.

If he's using a cable modem it might not even be his fault, his ISP might be over-subscribing their network which could be causing his problems.

http://www.dslreports.com/ may be worth checking out, RedWardancer, they've got forums for many of the larger ISPs, and lots of helpful people who might be able to help narrow down what your problem might be.

It wasn't just SB, he was disconnecting from TeamSpeak as well.

Yes I know - one of the side benefits of watching your videos and the associated sound track.

Losing both just confirms a generic Internet connection issue (i.e. the connection was dropped so neither SB or TS worked. No doubt email and web browsing would have failed too if he'd been trying that as well).

A small investment in a Cat 5 or Cat 6 Ethernet cable will remove one area of uncertainty.

Of course if the "wireless connection" refers to outside his house to the ISP then an Ethernet cable inside the house will make no difference.

Given that you were able to connect at least momentarily, it is not a port-forwarding issue. As Gibsonm noted, that you were having TS issues as well suggests strongly that it is the quality of your internet connection which is the problem.

Have you been able to play other online games using the wireless connection?

Spent four hours yesterday with Astrid (UK) trying to figure out the connection problems.

Astrid??? lol You mean Asid :clin:

Just trying to help a fellow SB player :cool3:

There is also the "Power line" solution. This uses your electric wiring to provide the connection from router to PC. You plug the device into a power socket next to the router and connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable. You then plug in another socket into the wall in another room or wherever you are in the building and attach your PC to that socket with an Ethernet cable. Done. I think you can get up to 300m range depending on the wiring in your building. This is a relatively cheap solution and means you don't have huge cables around the house.

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

Regards

The only other online game I have ever played was through Steam, called Strongholds Kingdoms. Don't recall having problems with that one. However, the history of my internet server is scratchy at best. Sometimes, we lose connection for hours. I recall one day the maintenance man accidentally shut OFF our systems while turning on our neighbors. We were down for a week. I was unaffected but my younger roomies nearly died without their net!!!

Therefore, I am going to focus on the server's equipment as it is usually the source of our sorrows.

I am not an experienced online gamer. This is unfamiliar ground for me, I don't even know how to use a smart phone! :c:

This sounds very similar to what I went through last year. I had the exact same symptoms. Unknown to me, my ISP switched over to a new telecomm standard (DOCSIS 3.0) which rendered my previously working cable modem obsolete. I bought a new modem, and my problems disappeared (not to mention a hefty boost in speed).

I looked up your ISP and here is a list of their recommended modems. See if yours is there...

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html

Greetings all,

Long time no speak.

Something of interest here but may not be the issue.

This is an advisory for everyone to check the "Device Manager"/ Network Adapters/ Properties/ Power management settings.

It seems that one of the last updates from Microsoft may have "reset" the power management for what-ever adapter you have to:

"allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and additionally enabled the "allow this device to wake the computer"

Both items that if your not running a laptop on battery power alone you do not need enabled, and runs the risk of turning off the device temporally. Both of which can effect or cause issues with on line gamming sessions.

Players from the MWO community have reported that once they "unchecked" that settings, some of there connection and timing out issues ceased.

Microsoft at it best ....again.

9erRed

Messed with some different cables today. Played with Asid and Lt. Rick for 55 minutes, no hiccups. Longest running game to date without losing connections. Gonna wait til Friday night and hope for the best!

YAY!:bigsmile:

:drink:

Is there a smiley for "fingers crossed"?

• 2 weeks later...