Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

12Alfa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unwatchable crap. Might as well have come from Stalin's own propaganda ministry. Flaming leftists and America haters seemed to have loved it and everyone else found it unbearable.

But its from your recorded history, or am I missing something here:confused:

Well its all a question of perspective/interpretation.

Talk to a Texan about the Alamo and you'll be told of a desperate struggle for liberty, freedom, etc.

Talk to a Mexican about the Alamo and you'll be told of a small battle during the campaign to reunite Mexico and liberate regions being "stolen" by the "Texicans".

Take your pick.

And how does one access 'the truth' independent of personal interpretation?

Seems the cable channel had them send their "Historical facts", references and documentation from archives to them so they themselves could validate the data and source, then they allowed the series to take place.

Looks like they had various sources if one watches the whole 10 parts. While I don't agree on everything presented, most when I took a look into to it, was indeed the way it happened.

Well documented and a different view on the last century.:luxhello:

Well its all a question of perspective/interpretation.

Talk to a Texan about the Alamo and you'll be told of a desperate struggle for liberty, freedom, etc.

Talk to a Mexican about the Alamo and you'll be told of a small battle during the campaign to reunite Mexico and liberate regions being "stolen" by the "Texicans".

Take your pick.

I could but not here:gun::1:

I see your point. One could insert Ukraine(Texans), and Russia(Alamo) into a similar issue and make the same interpretation.:c:

And how does one access 'the truth' independent of personal interpretation?

Within the realm of 'human affairs' the 'truth' is always open to bias / cultural and political beliefs / historical interpretation and on and on...and all of these are driven by the 'times' the observer lives in...The further in time from the event the less likely the truth is to be found.

Then of course there's always the adverse effects on the truth of this famous quote:

"'Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."

As what Hazrat Inayat Khan once said, "God is truth." Considering that we will never know what God's nature is, then we will never know "truth." :bigsmile:

The world isn't Manichean in nature. Every country has done or has "perpetuated" evil in one way shape or form. When it comes to history (or even analysis of current events) one must be willing to have your ox gored, you must be willing to accept that at some point your country may have been or is the "bad guy." Otherwise one will risk having a warped view of events.

...you must be willing to accept that at some point your country may have been or is the "bad guy." Otherwise one will risk having a warped view of events.

Well, TankHunter the term "bad guy" is of course highly relative to the observer. Do nations like individuals make mistakes...yes. But, many nations that do, never rectify their errors or even learn from them. Instead they do all they can to revise their history and go on to repeat the mistakes.

My country has, in hindsight, make mistakes and I've seen it go to great lengths to "make it right" and still it's hated even though millions upon millions want to immigrate to it....

Every country has done or has "perpetuated" evil in one way shape or form.

Iceland? How so?:confused:,Canada,Switzerland,New Zealand.I could go on but I think you get the point. That statement is a cop out.:c:

No, not every country is bad or evil, however their leaders are, or can be.

Did you watch the series?

Well, TankHunter the term "bad guy" is of course highly relative to the observer. Do nations like individuals make mistakes...yes. But, many nations that do, never rectify their errors or even learn from them. Instead they do all they can to revise their history and go on to repeat the mistakes.

My country has, in hindsight, make mistakes and I've seen it go to great lengths to "make it right" and still it's hated even though millions upon millions want to immigrate to it....

I am unaware as I suspect others around the planet on the above statement pertaining to the series(Oliver Stone's) in question. How has your country "gone to great lengths to make it right"? If one looks at the series nothing has changed.In your view what is different now?

And the item as to millions want to immigrate to it, is not really a indicator of anything, Europe has the same number immigrating, most countries would have the same as if it were not for state controls. Some would also say that sending a million to jail is off setting any immigrations happening.

And did you watch the whole series?

Not US bashing here, just trying to spur debate on the series and opinion.:luxhello:

How has your country "gone to great lengths to make it right"? If one looks at the series nothing has changed.In your view what is different now?

And the item as to millions want to immigrate to it, is not really a indicator of anything, Europe has the same number immigrating, most countries would have the same as if it were not for state controls. Some would also say that sending a million to jail is off setting any immigrations happening.:luxhello:

Good Grief. I like how you added the clapping smiley to the end, nice.:c: You've basically just declared war right there. You see it? Why? Why damn it!?

Sometimes I wonder about you. You are very strange. Normally I would be loading mags and preparing for a counter offensive. But I know you, the Canadian with a fuzzy face who lives in a house shaped like a giant ball. You don't mean any harm. Your just looking for guidance in this complex world populated by normal people living in square houses.

Edited by RogueSnake79