Infantry breach obstacle mods

RedWardancer

Is there a way to update/mod/rewrite/add/ infantry for a breach obstacle such as minefields?

I ask this because when I was serving with the US Army, my battalion was the divisional "Breach Obstacle" unit. No fun. But we had to learn how to mark and clear mines just as the engineers had to, only with less explosives and fun gadgets. We had grappling hooks with wires, mini MICLICs, flags and flares plus other cost effective tools to get the job done should we lose our engineers (they were ALWAYS fragged on every training mission). Sure, it took longer but we had those options available.

So what do y'all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Or is it a "Good idea but it's not going to happen in SB?":cool3:

• Members

I suppose the utility value of infantry on breach tactics would depend very much on the depth of the obstacle, the search method, and the type of mines involved. Crawling on your belly through an obstacle with needles to probe the ground is SO slow, it's useless in the context of a Steel Beasts scenario.

Using an induction coil minesweeper is both good and bad - assuming, that the mines have detectable metal components - but then you have all these false alarms of random junk buried in the soil over centuries.

The fastest method is probably to detect a path where NO mines are rather than actually removing those that block the shortest route (a straight line).

If its infantry that just dismounted from a bradley can we shoot the field ahead with HE and then order the crunchies to mark the width and depth?

:)

You could, but I'm volunteering you to be the first to drive through such a risky/hasty breach.

There's a reason why you use two different assets, say a MICLIC and plough to prove a route is clear.

Sapper squads equipped with APOBs would do the trick - it's the dismounted version of the MICLIC

Sure but I think Viper-3 was offering a solution based on what is already modelled to achieve what RedWardancer was asking about.

Modelling something new for Infantry from scratch would need to go somewhere on "the list", I guess.

Well I was just thinking. If you lose your Miclic or plow do you just take your ball and go home or do you improvise...... 4 rounds he incoming? Mortars or something to set em off etc..

Just thinking out loud

Well if its been planned correctly you arrive at the party prepared for 50% losses in your breaching gear.

So if the desired end result is one lane, you arrive with 2 x MICLIC and 2 x Ploughs that way you have enough kit to clear and prove one route. If you want two lanes, then 4 of each, etc.

Unfortunately lots of scenario designers seem to do a Breach/SOSRA mission with one asset and wonder why everybody shoots at it and the breach fails when that one asset is destroyed.

Edited by Gibsonm