X64 Open Beta

Ssnake

• Members

While the download isn't ready yet, I figured that at least you may be interested in the Readme/Release notes.

I take it that Sean will publish the announcement on the eSim Games homepage as soon as everything's ready. I'll log off for the night soon.

Oh, there's also a new YouTube video. The intended audience are mostly military professionals in the simulator business who don't know about us and what we're doing, so I won't make a lot of noise about it here in the forum.

• 1 month later...

But the irony is (from the Support thread):

I haven't looked, but my guess would be that we have issued all the beta licenses up to the cap.
In urgent cases I may still be able to issue a ticket (contact me by email), but in principle we have spent the allocated budget on free licenses for the 64 bit beta test.

• 2 weeks later...
While the download isn't ready yet, I figured that at least you may be interested in the Readme/Release notes.

I take it that Sean will publish the announcement on the eSim Games homepage as soon as everything's ready. I'll log off for the night soon.

Oh, there's also a new YouTube video. The intended audience are mostly military professionals in the simulator business who don't know about us and what we're doing, so I won't make a lot of noise about it here in the forum.

I've tried to follow the link in the PDF several times to download the patch but with no luck. Is it there yet or under a different name? I keep getting a 'not found' message.

Thanks! Very excited to see a 64bit version coming out.

• 2 months later...

I had a few crashes earlier but believe it was more from stressing the cpu, added water cooling and upgrade graphics card. Since then no crashes.

I had expected to get better fps but in maps with forest areas, hills I may get all the way down to 30fps with only minor difference when changing resolution.

Example mission: Single\PzGreen Assult(Leo2A4): I get around 32fps with one CPU around 90% while the GPU is hardly used.

Graphics:

HDR blooming 0, AA: 2 shadow: 5, vol clouds 1

Terrain details:

General: 85, Ground: 52, Ground cover: 52

If I change terrain details to max fps drops to around 24fps. I could not see any visual change in load on the GPU (using MSI afterburner), so it is as if the graphics are handled by the CPU and not GPU very much?

I am curious as to whether this is just how Steel beasts works. I have not gone back to the older 32bit version as I don't want to try and refresh the license CM stick and mess up something while I run this x64 beta version.

My machine spec is I7-920 @ 4Ghz, MSI Geforce GTX980 Gaming overclocked, 8Gb 1600mhz mem.

The licence appear to finish in 67 days from today. I hope we will see a public beta soon as x64 is a great step forward for Steel Beasts.

• Members
Example mission: Single\PzGreen Assult(Leo2A4): I get around 32fps with one CPU around 90% while the GPU is hardly used.

GPU load will vary with the terrain. The rural terrain of the Hohenfels training area in your reference mission is by and large limited by massive overdraw situations where you look into a deep forest with a high magnification, or, as you found out, in wide angle views by the ground clutter (particularly the grass).

An urban scenario might create a higher load on the GPU, although it is probably safe to say that Steel Beasts is mostly a CPU limited application.

Reading the release notes and noticed this: "The x64 Open Beta version will run exclusively under Windows 7, 64 bit version". Has it been tested under Windows 8.1 or does it matter?

I am running Windows 8.1, no issues related to this from what I can see.

Thanks, now have to wait until it gets release to the public :)

Well Ssnake seems to have one or two licenses he has kept up his sleeve for "late arrivals".

I'm not sure if he has any left by now but an email to him might be productive.

Also 3.019 expires in just over 50 days so that should provide a bit of a time frame for either when it will be replaced with another beta or the patch/update being released.

Edited by Gibsonm