Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

7 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

I Still thought it was good - what are the differences?

Well from earlier in this same thread:

On 8/25/2016 at 12:33 PM, Scrapper_511 said:

Yeah even though I cancelled my open order, they still shipped it (and charged me, of course) and I received it yesterday. Unfortunately it wasn't proof-read by competent human eyes. Just reading the jacket, the foreword, and the first chapters, already there are half a dozen typos or grammatical errors. There are errors in parallelism where new content is added to existing text. Personally this is quite distracting but I am still trying to enjoy reading on (merit to original).

Here are some examples (from Team Yankee Revised and Expanded Edition by Harold Coyle):

On the jacket: "It puts the reader in the tank turret of team commander Captain Sean Bannon they fight the war across the plains of Western Europe." < missing "as" between Bannon and they

In foreword (addendum): "New weapons systems, such as the M-1 Abrams tank were being fielded as quickly as they had completed their trails and were type-classified."

Ch.2, pg 27: "As if in response to Bannon's desperate effort to deny the reality of their situation, a crash and rumble like distant thunder rolled over them, causing the two commanders snapped their heads back toward the east."

I can't expand further as I have a 1989 publication.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My next new scenario will feature the M60A3, a tank I haven't been particularly interested in previously, but am now, so thought I'd read up in advance to understand the beast.  I received them yesterday and will be tackling the following books in order:

1. M60 Main Battle Tank 1960–91 - https://ospreypublishing.com/m60-main-battle-tank-1960-91
  2. Cold War Warrior - M60/M60A1/A2/A3: The M60-Series of Main Battle Tanks in Cold War Exercises 1962-88 - https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Cold-War-Warrior-M60-M60A1-A2-A3.htm
  3. M60 vs T-62: Cold War Combatants 1956-92 - https://ospreypublishing.com/m60-vs-t-62

That should get me in the mood! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of Tankograd's technical publications on vehicles and armoured forces of many nations represented in Steel Beasts, and consider them a key resource for scenario design, with many nuggets on vehicle subsystems and equipment, ammunition types and unit organisation. They have just published a new title 'Australian M1A1 Abrams', which people here may be interested in: https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Australian-M1A1-Abrams.htm

1 hour ago, Panzer_Leader said:

I'm a huge fan of Tankograd's technical publications on vehicles and armoured forces of many nations represented in Steel Beasts, and consider them a key resource for scenario design, with many nuggets on vehicle subsystems and equipment, ammunition types and unit organisation. They have just published a new title 'Australian M1A1 Abrams', which people here may be interested in: https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Australian-M1A1-Abrams.htm

Well you just cost me 96.00 bucks. I found a book store down the road with a great selection of Tankograd books and I bought 4 books on Reforger.

• 1 month later...

I finished "Battle on the Lomba" by David Mannall a few days ago. In the author's own words, the book "is written primarily from my own perspective as Troop Sergeant and Ratel 90 crew commander, and whilst there are significant contacts, skirmishes and some amusing anecdotes throughout our three-month tour in Angola, the story hinges on a single action, a momentous day-long battle that turned a 25,000 strong FAPLA offensive on its head it "...caused the enemy to retreat in disarray"."

It is worth noting that the book is more of a memoir of the author's life during his National Service days in the SADF, versus a historical focus on the events of Operation Moduler (yes, that is the correct spelling) during the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale. As such, details such as Mannall's experience in basic, his off-post escapades, and being discovered AWOL are all told in a believable, entertaining, and humorous, manner. 

The highlight of the book, as the title suggests, is the account of the Battle on the Lomba that occurred on October 3rd, 1987. The author does an excellent job in relaying the events throughout the day from his perspective, and everything from his vehicle (C32A) frantically engaging T-55s to the loss of C31 to an enemy MBT and the subsequent "firebelt action" are well recorded. Also covered are his experiences in entering a Cuban Tank Company Kill Zone (though he was further from the initial ambush and subsequently gives less details on the action) to the blow to morale following a Cuban airstrike on their patrol base. 

This is David Mannall's first book, and not being an author by trade, there are some errors in spelling and grammar scattered throughout the book. While I did notice them, I didn't feel that they detracted from the overall understanding of the story being told, although I may have had to re-read one or two sentences again. Included in the book are pictures taken by members of Charlie Squadron of 61 Mech which really help bring the subject matter to life. There are also several maps and sketches which help with understanding the general higher-level concept of the battle itself. 

Overall, I would recommend reading this book for a perspective on a conflict that is often overlooked, for the detailed account of having to fight a Fire Support Vehicle in terrain offering extremely limited visibility, and for the perspective on what an extremely well-trained fighting force can do. 

Spoiler

Lomba.jpg-for-web.jpg

Interestingly, one of my favorite authors, Leopold Scholtz, also recently released his book "Ratels on the Lomba: The Story of Charlie Squadron," which will detail the same battle as covered above, although from a historian's perspective. I'll post an update once I receive and read the entire book. From Amazon: "In Ratels on the Lomba, the reader is taken to the heart of the action in a dramatic recreation based on interviews, diary entries and Facebook contributions by members of Charlie Squadron. It is an intensely human story of how individuals react in the face of death."

Spoiler

51KmFT9j+iL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Mirzayev
Made book photos selectable to minimize space from the post.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven´t gone through all the threads here so sorry if this one has already been brought up.

It has come to my attention with very good references, but was wondering if anybody here actually red it, as it is quite expensive...

Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka, by Christopher A. Lawrence. A 1622 page, 6" inch thick, 11.5 pound monster.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27803290-kursk

https://www.amazon.com/Kursk-Battle-Prokhorovka-Christopher-Lawrence/dp/0971385254

I do have "War by Numbers" by the same author in order.

Red

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...