Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

Wondered what that meant, B20ISH, I'm also crap at txting. Great book a classic, back to your book Hack looks like a good read, i like that guys humour too, typical military humour, works for me. May look for a copy to read.

• 3 weeks later...

just started "Diary of the Sinai Campaign" by Moshe Dayan, published 1965. okay, i know what you're thinking, no not the 1967 Sinai campaign, the 1956 war. pretty damn good. it's all taken from his diary.

it's probably not in publication anymore, so good luck fools. no, you cannot borrow my copy. too many bast@rds never return books i loan them. so you all must pay the price. ;)

• 2 months later...

I´m currently reading "The Eyes of Orion" (awesome so far, mentioned here before) and ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Horizon-Khafji-Battle-Changed/dp/0345481534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253733480&sr=8-1

BTW: anyone knows a way to obtain a copy of "Counterstroke" by Kenneth Macksey? I´d really really like to fill my impressive but incomplete WW3-novels/books collection with that one.

Oh and it seems new tankie stuff in written form looms on the horizon:

73EastingMcGregor.JPG

http://www.usni.org/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1800

Edited by DemolitionMan

BTW: anyone knows a way to obtain a copy of "Counterstroke" by Kenneth Macksey? I´d really really like to fill my impressive but incomplete WW3-novels/books collection with that one.

Counterstroke? I only know of "First Clash" by Kenneth Macksey (Canadians in WW3).

What is Counterstroke about?

Jens

It's the sequel to "First Clash". As FC already announced on the last page, the Canadians make ready for counterattack. However, the scenario was changed from real units (4CMBG) to fictional ones (10CMBG IIRC), they fight "Fantasia" (official nickname given to Warsaw Pact/Soviet Union in exercises) and use equipment that was at that time(1989) proposed to find it's way into the inventory, like the Goliath tank destroyer.

There's more to it than that, but the functional difference between the two is that one is a novel and the other is a continuation of First Clash in the same training manual style that FC instantiated.

Way back when, 1CAD (via the good offices of Gunfighter) furnished me with both publications and challenged me to make campaigns out of each of them. At the time I hadn't known that Counterstroke also existed in novel-form, I had the manual-esque for Counterstroke and I had the First Clash pub in the same format.

There are significant differences (apparently, I still haven't read the novel) between the respective versions of Counterstroke, one of them being that the manual talks about places which appear in First Clash, and shows a picture of a Charybdis (I think) tank-destroyer.

Again, I haven't read the novel but I have read FC and Counterstroke in manual form. Which you might prefer is a matter of individual taste, but the manuals had maps and OBs, and tabulated goodies relating to logistics, command and control, etc. There were also photos in each, of Canadian units presumably doing training.

Shot

Harold Coyle Team Yankee, that is the first that comes to my mind...

But he has several books that are VERY good. Sword Point, Brite Star, Gods Children, and a few others... All very good, almost like Tom Clancy just about the Army and not as much technical detail.

• 3 weeks later...

"Certain Victory," General Robert Scales

"Into The Storm," Tom Clancy and General Fred Franks

"Marines In The Garden Of Eden," I forgot the author, though.

"Steel My Soldier's Hearts," Col. David Hackworth. Not exactly tanker worthy, but he sure does turn around a shit-bird infantry battalion in Vietnam.

"Death Ground," "Dragons At War," and "The Battle For Hunger Hill," all by (General now?) Daniel Bolger.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to a more detailed review...if you wouldn't mind. ;)

Ah, the book I got recently "Storm on the Horizon" about the Battle of Khafji is a must-read IMO for anyone who's interested in the Second Gulf War(yes it was the second). Armor plays a role, however it's mostly a great eye-opener into the mindset of the Marines and the Arab coalition prior to the 100hours offensive. And damn well written by a former Marine who even states that this book should not have been written by himself, but by someone more scholar-qualified back in 1991-instead of him in 2005. Bold statement...

• 2 weeks later...

51-O3agK9YL._SS500_.jpg

Got "M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural, Desert Storm 1991" from Ospreys Duel-series today and I must say that Zaloga did a great job on those 80 pages. You get all the necessary details of both tanks, as well as distribution in theater, tactics and doctrine plus a very good account of the Battle of Medina Ridge. I´m looking forward to "Centurion vs T-55, Golan 1973" and hope for more contemporary publications. "Chieftain vs T-62" in the Iran-Iraq war would certainly be a must-buy for most armor fans.

Did he manage to make it clear that T72 (early/export) isn't the same animal as a late model T72B with K5 or better ERA and modern ammunition?

(Not that the outcome would have been much different, but that comes down to the strategic/operational situation, and training much more than the technical quality, with the possible exception of TIS modules).

Yes, he goes at length to talk about the different versions of the T-72 up to 91 and emphazises that the export tanks were inferior in almost any aspect. Training and doctrine made the real difference though. An enjoyable read, and finally I got an overview which Iraqi units were equipped with the T-72 and which US units used which Abrams version. :)

• 2 months later...

Got "M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural, Desert Storm 1991" from Ospreys Duel-series today and I must say that Zaloga did a great job on those 80 pages. You get all the necessary details of both tanks, as well as distribution in theater, tactics and doctrine plus a very good account of the Battle of Medina Ridge. I´m looking forward to "Centurion vs T-55, Golan 1973" and hope for more contemporary publications. "Chieftain vs T-62" in the Iran-Iraq war would certainly be a must-buy for most armor fans.

Just ordered M1-T72 and Centurion-T-55. Looking forward!

-Rump

I recently got hold of a copy of Truppenführung - German Army Unit Command in WWII, republished by Stackpole in softcover and available on line for around £8.

Fairly familiar stuff for those brought up on FM-100-5, as the US document was based largely on the German pre-war document.

I'm finding the stuff on Logistics arrangement and management really interesting, as this is frequently skimmed/glossed over in combat manuals - the arrangement of the echelons being taken for granted quite often.