Battle damage skins

dave1978

Declaration up front: My knowledge of skinning is up there with my knowledge of neural surgery.

However I believe that this sort of stuff isn't possible at present (a bit like the current inability to give vehicles unique painted on call signs, etc.).

The weathering effects that others achieve (mud splatters, etc.) are informally applied, so every M1 on Blue has the same piece of mud in the same place.

You can "cheat" and have M1s on both say Blue and Green against a common Red foe and apply different skins to each so in the 3D world they look different, but that has other downsides (unable to jump from Blue to Green, etc.).

So even if it were possible to have blast marks or chipped paint or whatever then every tank on a given side would look the same as they all use the same skin.

I'd interested in a couple of damaged skins if somebody has already made some... even if they are not "working" at the moment, for video making purposes I could swap it in...

Actually it would be quite welcome as I'm working on something where it would fit nicely and the end result will be quite neat hopefully!

I did a few destroyed skins, including a desert T-55

http://www.steelbeasts.com/plugins/p13_download_manager/images/2049.jpg

Because of the new engine rendering effects in Steel Beasts 3.0, I doubt it still looks like it does in the download image, all textures created with previous versions tend to look a lot different without updating them.

Understand of course that any live vehicle may share the same texture, but it is possible to represent pre-destroyed vehicles on the map- if you want to have a working and destroyed version of the same vehicle in a scenario, put the copy of the destroyed skin in the other side's folder (i.e., if you want a knocked out M1 tank, put a copy of the destroyed M1 in Red's mod folder, then place destroyed M1 tanks for Red on the map in the mission editor). Even though they are technically Red M1 tanks, you can simulate them as Blue M1 tanks since they are destroyed and not going to cause you any trouble.

I'd interested in a couple of damaged skins if somebody has already made some... even if they are not "working" at the moment, for video making purposes I could swap it in...

Actually it would be quite welcome as I'm working on something where it would fit nicely and the end result will be quite neat hopefully!

Maybe you could copy and make use of the ones already in the "destroyed" folder in the game installation's textures? There's quite a collection of burned-out hulks there.