Commanders story

12Alfa

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is an egregious case of necroing and if it's verging into potentially volatile territory as it involves the current troubles in Ukraine.

I'm engaged in a discussion over T-72s in Ukraine at the moment among friends (nothing vitriolic, I assure you), in particular footage of a T-72 that is supposedly of a T-72 that is exclusively in Russian service:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28961080

What is the probability that it is an abnormally modernised T-72 that was in Ukrainian stocks and not of Russian make as IISS suggests?

So the ERA on the tank in the photo is Relikt, not Kontakt-5? I had been under the impression that there were few if any cosmetic differences between the two. Or is the way the bricks are arrayed indicative on the ones in service with the CIS? From what I've seen the Ukrainian T-80s have retained the rubber flaps over their Kontakt-5 bricks while many newer T-72s and the T-90 have done away with them to give them a a more clamshell appearance. What sites did you discover this on (for citation purposes, not that I doubt the validity of them unless you would recommend taking it with a grain of salt).