Video Thread

DemolitionMan

It appears the dazzlers were not turned on, probably due to the crew not expecting any ATGMs in the area. Also, based on discussions over at TankNet, the Shtora system would likely not be effective against the TOW2A in any case.

Well given that AFAIK you can even fire TOW close to each other nowadys...I doubt that Shtora is working against them.

• Members

I seem to remember that Shtora (at least in its original configuration) would defeat TOW-1 missiles which only had eight different pulse codes. Later TOW-2 missiles have a more sophisticated pulse coding. I suppose, if the codes were cracked at some point a software upgrade to Shtora could enable it to defeat such missiles too. Whether that's already the cdase, who knows.

It appears the dazzlers were not turned on, probably due to the crew not expecting any ATGMs in the area. Also, based on discussions over at TankNet, the Shtora system would likely not be effective against the TOW2A in any case.

Any particular reason why it would have been deactivated? It would seem to me if you were working with the latest and greatest in the Russian arsenal it would be prudent to err on the side of caution, and I somewhat doubt fuel consumption is a concern since urban combat does require that a unit proceed slowly anyways.

By the way, can you link to the discussion about Shtora's effectiveness against TOW-2?

Any particular reason why it would have been deactivated? It would seem to me if you were working with the latest and greatest in the Russian arsenal it would be prudent to err on the side of caution, and I somewhat doubt fuel consumption is a concern since urban combat does require that a unit proceed slowly anyways.

By the way, can you link to the discussion about Shtora's effectiveness against TOW-2?

Sure: here, from the tenth post on, and here. As to why the system was not turned on, I don't know, but since the system is infrared based it will generate a large amount of heat when operating, plus the emitters give off a distinct red glow that can be readily spotted at distance sooo...

Would you have done the same with a US or western documentary ? Everything Russian must be propaganda and bad in general, right ?
I may just be tone deaf to american propaganda , then again I don't remember hearing someone go on and on in those videos. Hell seems the vids I saw barely had any talking... I dunno

One is certain, some of Iraqi tankers learned, and become effective fighting force... "natural selection" also plays a role here I suppose, the ones that didn't learned and didn't adapted, just died.

At least tank+dismount cooperation seems to work now.